FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Best steak house in Buenos Aires (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/796889-best-steak-house-buenos-aires.html)

USAFAN Mar 4, 2008 10:31 am

Originally Posted by apoivre (Post 9354243)
I've only been to the other Cabaña - the one in Rodríguez Peña near Avenida Alvear. How do the two compare?

Unfortunately, I have been in Cabana at Rodríguez Peña. It is one of the worst restaurants I have ever been: bad food, bad service, expensive. I believe it belongs to the Orient Express Group

I liked this

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=1399

Cabrera and Cabrera Norte

Check it out at the link samftla posted.

FT members like also
El Establo
Paraguay 489 - Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Tel: 4311-1639

I checked it out. Very friendly and helpful staff, pretty good steaks, not expensive .. actually pretty cheap
http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=886

BTW, I still don't know which is the best beef to order .. something like Baby*** or Lomo?!?
Any idea why Argentina beef is (mostly) *NOT* tender?

nytango Mar 4, 2008 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 9355597)
Cabaña Las Lilas is way over rated. Their cubierto, which includes some appetizers, many that I would never buy, is way expensive for EZE. I often find many small and medium places that are much better.

Among these: Yugo's in Recoleta, and l'Alliance on Cordoba near 9 de Julio (almost next to the to be avoided Chacra). At both of these places, you can find a nice big steak in the 20 peso range, or low 30 pesos.

we just had a great lunch,,,, proveleta, ensalda and lomo and malbec at Yugo and sadly getting ready to return to states tonight,,, will pass on AA' s "dinner" in J.. not worth anything after late lunch in BA.... I will just ask for wine and to be left to sleep..

Gaucho100K Mar 5, 2008 5:27 am

For those that want to have a real Argentine beef experience... here are some cuts that you need to try. Please note that Im sticking with regular cuts of beef, no kidneys sweetbreads and other specialties... although I think they are great... most visitors have trouble with straying too far away from the more traditional cuts.

1) Asado de Tira. Argentine style short ribs.
2) Vacio. Not sure what the US name for this is.
3) Entraña. Similar to what Mexicans call Arrachera.
4) Matambre. Not sure on name either

Please note that the above cuts are for serious carnivores... focus is on flavour, not tenderness... and some of the cuts can tend to be chewey. If you are the beef eater that thrives tender tender tender, then you must tread these waters with care.

tazi Mar 5, 2008 6:41 am

Ft member Saltshaker has an excellent guide on his website based on cut of meat:

http://www.saltshaker.net/restaurant...ate-parrillada

Very informational!

My favorite was El Establo followed by Rio Alba. Please note though that I have only visited one time and have yet to make may way to many of the places that come recommended.

tazi Mar 5, 2008 6:43 am

Ft member Saltshaker has an excellent guide on his website based on cut of meat:

http://www.saltshaker.net/restaurant...aurant-reviews

Very informational!

My favorite was El Establo followed by Rio Alba. Please note though that I have only visited one time and have yet to make may way to many of the places that come recommended.

tazi Mar 5, 2008 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando (Post 9349402)
As I'm sure Gaucho100K will point out, there are oodles of good steak restaurants in BA. I'll just name one well-known favorite which is Cabaña Las Lilas, in the old docklands of Puerto Madero. Food is all-round excellent, good ambiance, prices high by BA standards but reasonable by international standards. .

Most of what I have read recently has been negative. It seems at one time it might have been good but has turned into mostly a tourist trap now.

VPescado Mar 5, 2008 8:48 am

Let me add a vote for La Brigada:
Estados Unidos 465 (at Bolivar) in San Telmo

I also second the suggestion of Cabrera and Cabrera Norte (service, atmosphere and price are all a bit more polished here - and it has more of a yuppie crowd...not that that is necessarily a bad thing). One thing we liked about Cabrera was that the steaks were served with a bunch of side dishes (think tapas) that were quite good.

If you get tired of Steak check out Nemo for some rocking good seafood.

Ahh....I can't wait until I go back in August!

Jaimito Cartero Mar 5, 2008 8:52 am

Great thread. Now I have a lot of new places to check out in my month's vacation in EZE that starts in 2 weeks! :)

Gaucho100K Mar 5, 2008 11:35 am

Originally Posted by VPescado (Post 9361100)

Excellent recommendation by VPescado... ^

Nemo is the place for relatively inexpensive seafood in Buenos Aires, menu updated daily based on what is delivered fresh to their establishment.

For a high end option... Oviedo is IMO the best top end choice for Fish & SeaFood. They also have one of the best wine lists in EZE, with rotating specials of top wines of previous vintages at reduced prices.

SAPMAN Mar 5, 2008 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by tazi (Post 9360502)

Very informational!

I really like the Rio Alba. (Palermo) Not far from the US Embassy, but not many tourists this far out. Very near the Chistopher Columbo Apt. Hotel. Very good food, reasonable prices, great service, and authentic.

Also lots of great, but non-tourist restaurants in the Las Colinas (sp?) area on Baez Street. Super area for drinks, food, and getting the local atmosphere.

keisari Mar 5, 2008 8:03 pm

list of meats

Not sure where I go this from.

BEEF - CARNE DE RES
Aguja - Chuck, Chuck Roast from immediately in back of neck (cogote)
Asado / Asado de Tira - Rib Roast, Short Rib Roast
Azotillo - a Shoulder cut
Bife Ancho - Rib Eye Steaks, Prime Rib, Rib Eye Roast,
Bife Angosto - Strip SteakPorterhouse Steak
Bife a la Rueda - Round Steak
Bife de Alcatra - Sirloin Steak
Bife de Costilla - T-Bone Steaks
Bife de Chorizo - like a Strip Steak
Bife de Lomo - Tenderloin / "filet mignon"
Bofe - Lungs
Bola de Lomo - Sirloin Tip Roast
Carnaza - Stewing Beef
Carne Picada - Ground Beef
Chinchulín - upper segment of the Small Intestine
Chorizo - Spicy Sausage
Cogote - Neck
Colita de Cuadril - Rump Steak
Corazón - Heart
Costilla - Rib
Criadilla - Testicle of young beef
Cuadrada - Bottom Round-Stewing or Strogonoff Beef
Cuadril - Rump Roast, Rump Steaks
Entraña - Skirt Steak
Escondido -
Falda - Skirt Steak (diaphragm)
Falda con hueso - Skirt steak with bone
Hígado - Liver
Lengua - Tongue
Lomo - Tenderloin
Marucha - Short Ribs
Matambre - Flank Steak
Milanesa - Minute Steak
Mollejas - Sweetbreads
Mondongo - one of the stomachs
Morcilla - Blood Sausage
Nalga - Round Stewing Beef, standing rump
Ojo de Bife - Ribeye
Ossobuco - Shin
Paleta - Shoulder Roast, blade steak
Palomita - Butterfly Cut near Shoulder Roast
Peceto - Round Steaks, Roast Eye of Round
Pecho - Brisket
Rabo - Oxtail
Riñones - Kidneys
"Ros Bif" - Roast Beef (you'll sometimes see on menus)
Sesos - Brains
Tapa de Asado - Rib Cap Roast
Tapa de Nalga - Cap of Round Roast
Tapa de Cuadríl - Cap of Rump Roast
Tortuguita - a portion of the Rump
Tripa Gorda - Large Intestine
Ubre - Udder
Vacío - Flank Steak

OTHER MEATS
Cabrito - Goat
Cerdo - Pork
Cordero - Lamb
Lechón or Lechoncito - Suckling Pig
Pato - Duck
Pollo - Chicken
Ternera - Veal

VPescado Mar 5, 2008 8:19 pm

The above list is from one of the BsAs threads. IIRC it was provided by JDiver and requires some corrections - in particular chorizo in Argentina is not spicy.

A couple of useful links to add to the discussion however:

Gaucho waxes poetic about steak. I believe this post convinced me I needed to visit BsAs

Argentina on two steaks a day

samftla Mar 6, 2008 4:56 am

Originally Posted by VPescado (Post 9361100)
Let me add a vote for La Brigada:
Estados Unidos 465 (at Bolivar) in San Telmo

I also second the suggestion of Cabrera and Cabrera Norte (service, atmosphere and price are all a bit more polished here - and it has more of a yuppie crowd...not that that is necessarily a bad thing). One thing we liked about Cabrera was that the steaks were served with a bunch of side dishes (think tapas) that were quite good.

Ahh....I can't wait until I go back in August!

I would suggest their second location La Brigada on Peña 2475 (Barrio Norte/Recoleta), much smaller, less tourists, much better service and I think better steaks all around.

Sam

flyr16 Mar 6, 2008 6:30 am

We just returned from BA and had terrific steaks, everywhere. Not a bad one in the bunch and all were cooked to order; "jugoso" as medium rare. Our "favorite" spots were:

La Cabrera - everything was great, including a half order of sausage to start. However, they've changed the way they cook their provelta, I think I preferred the former method. Overall the spot is superb, and very crowded. We arrived at midnight and the restaurant was packed.

La Brigada, on Pena. Excellent also. Yet, some seemed to like the entrana better than the bife de chorizo. Good service, enjoyable atmosphere, great salads too.

El Establo. Some thought the steak here had the most flavor. A bit less expensive than some of the other spots. Good atmosphere, nice mixed salad and very good service.

Also, don't miss El Sanjuanino, on Posadas, for absolutely the best empanadas we've had anywhere, though there's a debate, as always, as to where the absolute "best" empanadas can be found in BA. About $1 an empanada and we ordered more than a dozen for four people. A great spot.

Also, the wines lists in BA obviously have more Argentine selections then you will ever find elsewhere. Many from vineyards I had never heard of. If there's a sommelier at the restaurant, or someone who knows more than the waiter, he is worth searching out.
Have fun. BA is a terrific city.

nytango Mar 6, 2008 8:04 am

Originally Posted by samftla (Post 9365966)
I would suggest their second location La Brigada on Peña 2475 (Barrio Norte/Recoleta), much smaller, less tourists, much better service and I think better steaks all around.

Sam

sam,,,,shame on you...now it will be packed..and as in all recommendations of La Brigada do not forget to mention no hats..