FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Best steak house in Buenos Aires (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/796889-best-steak-house-buenos-aires.html)

Gaucho100K May 19, 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 9747938)
I am hoping to try it next week (although I'm not USAFAN). By the way, how do you order steak something less than al punto, but more than poco hecho?

You would need to order "un poco menos de a punto", or "casi a punto"... although this is kind of vague and may lead to problems.... my suggestion would be to order "jugoso" and check it out... if its too bloody then send it back and ask for a little more fire and specify "un poco menos de a punto".

Gaucho100K May 19, 2008 3:07 pm

USAFAN--- actually, the only cooking that makes meat less tender is well done, so if properly cooked then medium should still be OK.... in case event, I think that beef and tender are oxymorons.... but then, Im also not a fan of Kobe beef... :eek: :p

You are correct, Argentina does not have the tradition of Dry Ageing like is done at Peter Lugers.... BTW, I think that Peter Lugers is one of the cathedrals of beef in the world... ^ ^ ^

spainflyer May 22, 2008 6:25 am

Pardon my ignorance

Bife de lomo is translated in post #26 as filet mignon. I have had bife de lomo at more than one Argentine restaurant here in Madrid, and it is not filet mignon. In fact, La Vaca Argentina and other Argentine restaurants here have both bife de lomo and solomillo, which is what filet mignon is called in Spain.

Would you ever find solomillo / filet mignon -- the loin of beef running down the cow's back -- in Buenos Aires?

Gaucho100K May 22, 2008 10:41 am

Hello Spainflyer.... there is no 100% straight answer for you, since regardless of what the books say... restaurants sometimes deviate from the "theoretical" cuts.

Also... many so-called Argentine restaurants outside of Argentina many times have to serve non-Argentine beef, and also may not be able to source beef cut in the Argentine style..... its more complicated than one thinks.... may details involved, even if the restaurant imports Argentine meat or has a distributor it buys it from... chances are many of the traditional cuts are not available because many countries do not allow imports of beef with bones due to the lame foot&mouth excuse, etc. etc. etc. ---- again, the devil is in the details.

In the end... I dont really worry tooo much about what cut is called what... its about putting the chunk of flesh to the ultimate test (ie. eating it) that this is all about... but then again, Im a die hard carnivore so Im a bad example...

:D

Gaucho100K May 22, 2008 10:48 am

On a additional note on post #26... the author says he doesnt remember where he sourced the definitions from... a quick look over the list also has me second guessing a couple of translations.... perhaps its not the most academic definition out there. Again, as I post above... I dont think its that interesting to define with pin-point accuracy which cut is what.... I would concentrate on some basic traits you are looking for in a piece of beef, try to get a helpful waiter or service person at a restaurant/butchers and then have the experts recommend something that matches what you are looking for... ^

spainflyer May 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Understood about the Argentine restaurants in Madrid or anywhere else outside Argentina. La Vaca Argentina claim their beef is flown in from Argentina, but who knows.

Point is, if I were to appear at one of the restaurants recommended on this thread, and ask for a solomillo, would I get anything like a cross cut of the loin, about 2 or 2 and a half inches thick, little fat except around the edges, and very tender?

Or would the chef take me for a gallego almacenista and send me packing?

Gaucho100K May 24, 2008 10:26 am

Originally Posted by spainflyer (Post 9764858)
Understood about the Argentine restaurants in Madrid or anywhere else outside Argentina. La Vaca Argentina claim their beef is flown in from Argentina, but who knows.

Point is, if I were to appear at one of the restaurants recommended on this thread, and ask for a solomillo, would I get anything like a cross cut of the loin, about 2 or 2 and a half inches thick, little fat except around the edges, and very tender?

Or would the chef take me for a gallego almacenista and send me packing?

Well... you speak the language.... so in your case: hablando se entiende la gente.... :D ^

mmcdono908 May 26, 2008 7:21 am

Best Steak House?

For a traditional experience, I'd suggest "La Chacra" on Cordoba just off the 9 de Julio. Terrific, authentic food and service.

You might also try "Aquellos Anos" which is out on the Costanera highway near the downtown airport.

Either way, in addition to the beef, there are also a lot of other equally-excellent things to choose from. My personal favorite is the matambrito which is a pork tenderloin, flattened out and grilled and served with lemon juice. In addition, the salads are always excellent in these restaurants and very nicely complement the meat.

Red wine is always appropriate, as well.

JDiver May 26, 2008 11:53 am

I'll not rehash what has been said here, but I will update on Cabaña Las Lilas, mentioned in an early post and which I used to enjoy some time ago - but IMO the service has deteriorated to a sad shadow of what it was. Maybe the day I was there (weekend) was a bad one, but all the waitstaff seemed quite young and disinterested. For better service, I usually feel better served when the waitstaff are experienced and are convinced theirs is a decent and upstanding profession they take pride in - and to clarify, I don't mean subservient, I mean good service. That was certainly not the case May 17 2008.

Though the meat was fairly tasty, they were apparently unable to serve our wine until they brought the beef dish - which was brought as we were eating our salad, and enjoying the cubierto (less fanciful than previous ones I have had there.) Dessert you would have thought to be a foreign invention - it took work to finally get some desert, and then it was unceremoniously (I am being tactful and understated here) served with the coffee.

Some friends asked to visit Las Nazarenas May 15 (at the junction of L. Alem and Reconquista across the street from the Sheraton convention center, on the edge of Retiro - iirc), kind of touristy and rustic decor, but popular with locals for a business lunch and visitors as well,) a variety of wines and meats, grilled in front of your eyes, was decent and the service was much better and attentive. Owner Don Luís Barbería chatted us up and took us into the cava as well. Note you can get a 10% discount coupon online, and a "free meal if four dine for your birthday" coupon as well.

To enjoy a leisurely lunch with the fabulous people watching in Pto. Madero, I'll probably be at Sorrento the next time, enjoying some home-made pasta possibly with some seafood. For really good beef, this thread has far better recommendations, IMO. (Great grass-fed beef and a top quality Malbec... aaahhh! ¡Salud!)

(By the way, nobody mentioned chocolate y churros, a treat in the morning at the historic Café Tortoni. Oh, it's not beef... :D)

Gaucho100K May 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mmcdono908 (Post 9778676)
Either way, in addition to the beef, there are also a lot of other equally-excellent things to choose from. My personal favorite is the matambrito which is a pork tenderloin, flattened out and grilled and served with lemon juice. In addition, the salads are always excellent in these restaurants and very nicely complement the meat.

Just to clarify... Im a huge fan of matambrito de cerdo, alas, it is not tenderloin. Dont know the correct name in English, but the Matambrito is the muscle that surrounds the stomach... it is not the actual stomach but its like the abdominal muscles.

Again, its an amazing dish which is one of my favorites... but for sure its not tenderloin.... it has way too much fat & flavour and even a certain chewey-ness that makes it one of a kind good... ^ just ain't no tenderloin... :D

USAFAN May 28, 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 9779564)
....To enjoy a leisurely lunch with the fabulous people watching in Pto. Madero, I'll probably be at Sorrento the next time, enjoying some home-made pasta possibly with some seafood....

I agree, Sorrento is a very good Italian restaurant. The food is excellent ... They have one or two other locations, which I never checked out.

Link for restaurants http://guiaoleo.com.ar/

aau Jun 9, 2008 10:15 pm

As I will be traveling solo, does anyone have a recommendation for a eatery where I can get some authentic Argentine beef/steak in a very casual setting? Even takeaway would be fine. I read about a famous deli in Puerto Madero where I'm staying, but I can't remember the name right now. TIA

Eastbay1K Jun 9, 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by aau (Post 9853571)
As I will be traveling solo, does anyone have a recommendation for a eatery where I can get some authentic Argentine beef/steak in a very casual setting? Even takeaway would be fine. I read about a famous deli in Puerto Madero where I'm staying, but I can't remember the name right now. TIA

Grab a newspaper or a book and head over to des Nivel in San Telmo.

VPescado Jun 9, 2008 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by aau (Post 9853571)

Depending on what you mean by very casual there are a lot of possibilities that would work.

Most Parillas seem to be very tolerant of customers (especially tourists) in jeans and a polo shirt. One of the least formal ones that consistently gets good reviews is:

El Establo
Paraguay 489
Tel: 4311-1639

This is right off of Florida street and is easy to get to by the subway (or cab).

I'm pretty sure that I've seen folks in T-shirts in there. It has the ambiance of a New Jersey diner (minus the chrome) but has quality beef.

Other possibilities include La Brigida (my favorite: decorated like a soccer-centric sports bar, minus TVs but with white tablecloths and nicer service) and Parilla 1880 (you'll see lots of families). Both of these are in San Telmo.

flyr16 Jun 10, 2008 6:09 am

We had a very good meal at El Establo. We were there very late in the afternoon, about 5 p.m. or so and it was pretty empty. Apparently, they can be packed at lunch. It was certainly casual enough. We had a very old school and very amiable waiter. The papas with garlic and parsley were outstanding, some of the best we had in BAires, very good steak and the mixed salad was also done very well. Not expensive. Have fun.