FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Best steak house in Buenos Aires (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/796889-best-steak-house-buenos-aires.html)

Gaucho100K Apr 23, 2008 4:47 am

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Sure... great stuff! Of course Im also a big Kimchi fan. Surprisingly enough, there are a few very good Korean restaurants here in EZE... Korean fare with Argentine beef is a match in Heaven!

kchung Apr 23, 2008 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9618786)
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Sure... great stuff! Of course Im also a big Kimchi fan. Surprisingly enough, there are a few very good Korean restaurants here in EZE... Korean fare with Argentine beef is a match in Heaven!

Alex, it's nice to know that there are a few very good Korean restaurants there and am really moved to know you have a great affection for Korean cuisine. Korean cuisine could be an acquired taste because of its salty and real spicy nature as well as its distinctive smell. Let me know the name and address of your most beloved Korean restaurant over there. As for La Brigada's steaks, as far as I know, one of their new creations T-Bone has started getting recognitions from people all around the world. Someone gave it the highest compliments and mentioned that it's probably the best steak in the world and placed it above steaks at Vlado's in Melbourne and Porterhouse at Peter Luger in Brooklyn, NY. Have you tried that? And what's your opinion on Lomo prepared with Mushroom or Pepper sauce at La Brigada? Someone said it could be one of the best choices at La Brigada along with Ribeyes, Asado, and Mollejas in a scallion sauce.

Gaucho100K Apr 23, 2008 10:52 am

Having lived in Manhattan, Ive been to Peter Lugers various times.... and agree that their Porterhouse is excellent. I have great respect for some of the top quality beef made in the USA... even though its mostly grain fed (and not grass fed, as is my preference) the best US beef is indeed top notch. Ive not eaten at Vlado's in Melbourne so Im afraid I cant comment... but I also rank Australian Beef as having mostly top quality.

On the Lomos with sauce.... well Im actually not a huge fan of eating TenderLoin because I find it too "healthy" and bland.... and it usually requires sauce. I tend to prefer more "wild and gamy" cuts... :D ^

kchung Apr 23, 2008 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9620591)
Having lived in Manhattan, Ive been to Peter Lugers various times.... and agree that their Porterhouse is excellent. I have great respect for some of the top quality beef made in the USA... even though its mostly grain fed (and not grass fed, as is my preference) the best US beef is indeed top notch. Ive not eaten at Vlado's in Melbourne so Im afraid I cant comment... but I also rank Australian Beef as having mostly top quality.

On the Lomos with sauce.... well Im actually not a huge fan of eating TenderLoin because I find it too "healthy" and bland.... and it usually requires sauce. I tend to prefer more "wild and gamy" cuts... :D ^

Wow, what a quick reply! Thank you Alex, but you forgot to mention on La Brigada's T-Bone steak. I'm wondering if you've also tried that?

Gaucho100K Apr 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Never tried the T-Bone at La Brigada... but T-Bones are available at various places around town.... down here its known as Bife con Lomo... I dont know if La Brigada is offering the traditional t-bone with a twist.... I will have to ask Hugo and give it a try next time I go there.

kchung Apr 24, 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9622112)
Never tried the T-Bone at La Brigada... but T-Bones are available at various places around town.... down here its known as Bife con Lomo... I dont know if La Brigada is offering the traditional t-bone with a twist.... I will have to ask Hugo and give it a try next time I go there.

Yes Alex, Please do.

kchung Apr 25, 2008 11:36 am

Originally Posted by kchung (Post 9626121)
Yes Alex, Please do.

And Alex, I also need to ask you about things like which Airline offers the most reasonable price(from Los Angeles), what place(Inn or Apartment)offers the most reasonable rate(in San Telmo or Recoleta area 'cause it's near La Brigada), what transportations I need to take to visit Patagonia and Iguasu Waterfalls, etc. As I mentioned in my first post my wife and I have a plan to visit BsAs upcoming July or August and you and I will find what el 'corte especial' at La Brigada anyway is(The latest information I got on it is that it's la colita de cuadril entera from ternera(calf)) and have some good meal at your favorite Korean restaurant over there. My wife and I would also visit El Pobre Luis and Sottovoce based on your recommendation. I know el vacio is one of your favorite cuts(on your 'A' list). Is La Brigada's vacio great?

Gaucho100K May 1, 2008 5:16 pm

duplicate post

Gaucho100K May 1, 2008 5:17 pm

Dont know who has the best prices to EZE these days..... my guess would be AR (Aerolineas), but Im not sure the savings is worth the risk of delays and the lousy service you will get.

Eastbay1K May 1, 2008 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9618786)

It is interesting that you mention that. Last year when I was in MEX, I commented to the taxi driver about all the signs I saw in Korean (including what appeared to be several restaurants). He commented that they all came from Argentina during the economic crisis - so I'd imagine that there used to even be a larger Korean community down your way. Sounds like something to try later this month.

Gaucho100K May 16, 2008 5:32 pm

Not surprised to hear that many Koreans left Argentina and moved to Mexico... its just another step to their final destination, the USA. Its the same for many mainland Chinese... first leave China and come to Argentina.. make some $$$ and then move north.

USAFAN May 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 9598025)
By the way, attempted the Recoleta La Brigada on April 5th. Most certainly closed. San Telmo, and the Ojo de Bife (thanks, Gaucho) were excellent.

I looked it up at OLEO. You are correct .... if "Cerrķ" means closed.

La Brigada (Cerrķ) Parrilla Barrio Norte Peņa 2475

Sorry, I liked this place. Good service, good food, good wine, nice ambiance.

BTW, I have had tasty, delicious steaks in Argentina, but never a tender steak.
The best steak I had was at "Francis Mallman", Mendoza. We could see from our table how they prepared the food outside ... I assume old Gaucho style.

http://www.escorihuela.com/f_restaurante.htm

Gaucho100K May 19, 2008 1:25 pm

USAFAN-- have you tried the San Telmo location of La Brigada...?

Also, how do you like your steak.... (I mean in terms of cooking intensity, medium rare... well done?)

Eastbay1K May 19, 2008 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9747805)

Also, how do you like your steak.... (I mean in terms of cooking intensity, medium rare... well done?)

I am hoping to try it next week (although I'm not USAFAN). By the way, how do you order steak something less than al punto, but more than poco hecho?

USAFAN May 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 9747805)

Medium! And I know, what you now say ... but I don't like rare or so.

I suspect, the Argentinean beef is NOT aged.

Like at Peter Lugar:

"....the loin is brought back to the premises of the restaurant where the dry aging process begins.

The loins of beef sit in a temperature controlled cooler where air circulates around them. After the meat is properly aged, it is butchered and brought up to the kitchen for broiling...
"

La Brigada San Telmo: NO! I am not a fan of San Telmo .. somewhat touristy and doesn't look clean, sorry about this.

However, we have been at La Cabrera and liked it a lot. Difficult to get a place.

Beware of La Cabaņa:

Rodriguez Peņa 1967 - Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Tel: 4814-0001
Recoleta
http://lacabana.orient-express.com
High prices, unfriendly service, lousy food. Other than this place, we where NEVER disappointed in BA.

I learned from El Establo on your forum (the story with fake money):

El Establo
Paraguay 489 - Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Tel: 4311-1639
Retiro
We liked it. It's somewhat plain, but the food and the service was perfect.
On our way to the restaurant we recognized a young couple with a little baby, homeless .. sitting on the steps of a closed shop. We got a doggy-back and delivered it with some pesos on our way back.