Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best steak house in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by coplatsat
Guacho: what is the name of the restaurant on the block behind the Alvear (green canopy). My cousin and I went there for lunch on Friday afternoon when we arrived back in BA and it was excellent. It started with an "F".
Um, I think you mean "gaucho"... a guacho is something else entirely! http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/t...sp?spen=guacho

The restaurant you are referring to is probably Fervor (I don't remember the color of the canopy). http://www.yelp.com/biz/fervor-resta...a-buenos-aires
Old May 14, 2015, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Um, I think you mean "gaucho"... a guacho is something else entirely! http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/t...sp?spen=guacho

The restaurant you are referring to is probably Fervor (I don't remember the color of the canopy). http://www.yelp.com/biz/fervor-resta...a-buenos-aires
Sorry: Gaucho-typing too fast.

Fervor is the restaurant.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:32 am
BLV

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You don't want to return to La Brigada. (Although I suppose the good news is that no one has been murdered there in nearly 4 months.)
Best steak during my 72 hour trip to BA (on my way back as I type) purpose of which was to eat beef, was at La Brigada this Saturday. So yeah, murders or not, I would definitely return there.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for sharing a (current) review of La Brigada... a place which was once on my A list for Dead Cow. After a few unpleasant visits I de-listed it as a favorite... perhaps I should consider returning.

If you don't mind adding a little "beef" to your review.... it would be very useful if you could tell us a few things about your visit:
a) how many people in your party?
b) were all of you visitors from out of town..?
c) what caliber wine did you order...? (regular list of "reserve" list)
d) did you catch the attention of "Hugo"....?

I don't mean to be invasive with my questions, its just that I have a theory on La Brigada that I like to test everytime I read reviews of this establishment.... not sure how scientific my theory is, but in any case, if you care to elaborate some more on your visit this would be of great help for me and other locals/regular contributors to this Forum.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

PS: please let me know when you are back in town

Originally Posted by BLV
Best steak during my 72 hour trip to BA (on my way back as I type) purpose of which was to eat beef, was at La Brigada this Saturday. So yeah, murders or not, I would definitely return there.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks for sharing a (current) review of La Brigada... a place which was once on my A list for Dead Cow. After a few unpleasant visits I de-listed it as a favorite... perhaps I should consider returning.

If you don't mind adding a little "beef" to your review.... it would be very useful if you could tell us a few things about your visit:
a) how many people in your party?
b) were all of you visitors from out of town..?
c) what caliber wine did you order...? (regular list of "reserve" list)
d) did you catch the attention of "Hugo"....?

I don't mean to be invasive with my questions, its just that I have a theory on La Brigada that I like to test everytime I read reviews of this establishment.... not sure how scientific my theory is, but in any case, if you care to elaborate some more on your visit this would be of great help for me and other locals/regular contributors to this Forum.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

PS: please let me know when you are back in town
Additionally, I'm curious the day/time you went, and what menu items you ordered.

Guia Oleo (a local review site) has this as a 15, which is incredibly low for a restaurant of this caliber/reputation/price point, but I believe it got as low as a 13, and the most recent reviews are favo(u)rable, so maybe, just maybe, it affected the bottom line and they're getting their act together again.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:02 pm
BLV

All of this interrogation over a piece of meat? Ok. Fine

Three New Yorkers whose reservation was made via Amex a week in advance went into the restaurant slightly after 21:00. Were checked-in & seated by Hugo. Ordered empanadas, champignons, greens (I think it was sautéed spinach but don't remember), two bife de chorizo & a t-bone. All three done medium. Having heard lots of stories how Argentinian medium will be an equivalent of medium-rare I was rather disappointed that only one place got the temperature right and that was La Brigada. Meat was outstanding and we quickly realized that a round two is inevitable and that's how skirt steak (the one they cut with a spoon) came about. Two bottles of Malbec accompanied the cow that night and the only thing I remember that one of them was a Zuccardi and one of them cost around AR$800. Panqueques dulce de leche and sabayon finished the night.

First night of the trip was supposed to have been La Cabrera N where Amex also did the reserving as well but once we arrived at the restaurant it was mayhem. A crowd of mostly older and visibly annoyed americans were b#tching at someone at the door. Turned out that we wouldn't be seated because the restaurant is overbooked. We turned around and walked to their location across the street from which they reserved us into La Cabrera Express. In retrospect, turned out to be a blessing in disguise. This was our first introduction to Argentinian beef and while we thought it was good, we weren't blown away (empanadas, however, are the best we've tasted). Two days later we ended up having lunch at original La Cabrera and it was a very underwhelming experience. Meat was forgettable, empanadas good. I rarely care about service, as long as everything is done in timely fashion and my waiter isn't an a$$hole, well, here it was almost both. It took 15 minutes to take our order, and while meat came out unusually fast (10 minutes tops), the process of getting a check and then waiting for the receipt took about 35. Flagging him down was impossible. Along with unmemorable food, that wait time and the gimmicky, TGIF feel of the place it's safe to say I'd not return there nor I'd recommend it. HOWEVER, if I were choosing between La Cabrera and Las Lilas, the latter would obviously be the loser. Worst meat of the trip and too overpriced.

Hope all of the questions have been answered and now it's your turn to tell me what your theory on La Brigada is and whether it's been/somewhat/if at all supported and once again. Once again, all three of us LOVED the place and it was totally worth the 14+ hours of travel time :-).
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by BLV
All of this interrogation over a piece of meat? Ok. Fine

Three New Yorkers whose reservation was made via Amex a week in advance went into the restaurant slightly after 21:00. Were checked-in & seated by Hugo. Ordered empanadas, champignons, greens (I think it was sautéed spinach but don't remember), two bife de chorizo & a t-bone. All three done medium. Having heard lots of stories how Argentinian medium will be an equivalent of medium-rare I was rather disappointed that only one place got the temperature right and that was La Brigada. Meat was outstanding and we quickly realized that a round two is inevitable and that's how skirt steak (the one they cut with a spoon) came about. Two bottles of Malbec accompanied the cow that night and the only thing I remember that one of them was a Zuccardi and one of them cost around AR$800. Panqueques dulce de leche and sabayon finished the night.

First night of the trip was supposed to have been La Cabrera N where Amex also did the reserving as well but once we arrived at the restaurant it was mayhem. A crowd of mostly older and visibly annoyed americans were b#tching at someone at the door. Turned out that we wouldn't be seated because the restaurant is overbooked. We turned around and walked to their location across the street from which they reserved us into La Cabrera Express. In retrospect, turned out to be a blessing in disguise. This was our first introduction to Argentinian beef and while we thought it was good, we weren't blown away (empanadas, however, are the best we've tasted). Two days later we ended up having lunch at original La Cabrera and it was a very underwhelming experience. Meat was forgettable, empanadas good. I rarely care about service, as long as everything is done in timely fashion and my waiter isn't an a$$hole, well, here it was almost both. It took 15 minutes to take our order, and while meat came out unusually fast (10 minutes tops), the process of getting a check and then waiting for the receipt took about 35. Flagging him down was impossible. Along with unmemorable food, that wait time and the gimmicky, TGIF feel of the place it's safe to say I'd not return there nor I'd recommend it. HOWEVER, if I were choosing between La Cabrera and Las Lilas, the latter would obviously be the loser. Worst meat of the trip and too overpriced.

Hope all of the questions have been answered and now it's your turn to tell me what your theory on La Brigada is and whether it's been/somewhat/if at all supported and once again. Once again, all three of us LOVED the place and it was totally worth the 14+ hours of travel time :-).
BLV, thanks for the report. Some here love to point you in the wrong direction. I am in Uruguay working now ($800 ARG is ridiculous to pay for a bottle of Wine in BsAs)!! And trust me on this I am an Importer and know the US Palette well..I was in BsAs this past weekend for 4 nights.. Im AMEX Platinum as well.. Think you back in BsAs now try Parrilla Pena 682 Rodriguez Pena for Lunch. I had a bottle for $95 ARG and it was great. Phebus Cabernet, Made by a rock star enologist whom started his own Winery (this was made under the Fabre Montmayou label) Look under Fabre on their Wine List. Tira de Asado and Bife de Chorizo is the way to go there.. Or any cut as well. The owner whom guards the bank looks like he belongs in Brooklyn. Trust me on this one.. Go for lunch and enjoy or better yet for dinner. No tourists hanging around ether.. Stop the Norte Amercano Tax.. its not fun!! Enjoy..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Nov 11, 2015 at 6:01 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BLV

That is good to hear. It is very convenient for me, and the last visit was so off-putting that I never cared to return (after a couple years of declining returns). At its peak, I've had some excellent meat there, as well as decent service.

As far as the price of wine, markups are generally substantially less than in the USA and many other countries. While I can't speak for your palate, I've had very decent wines in restaurants in the $200s recently. (I'm not talking high end reds.) I don't know what cost you $800, but if it was a higher end tinto, and it was delicious, and it was part of a great meal, it was worth every centavo. Really, no one should make you feel ripped off if you had a fantastic experience and drank an excellent wine for what, US$50-ish a bottle?

As far as theories, I don't really have one. It has been clear for a while that Hugo's ego barely fits on the narrow Estados Unidos.

I doubt most of us here are trying to point anyone in the wrong direction. We're just speaking from our own palates and wallets!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
from out of town..?
catch the attention of "Hugo"....?
sounds like hugo is key question

Originally Posted by BLV
New Yorkers whose reservation was made via Amex [centurion?] a week in advance went into the restaurant slightly after 21:00. Were checked-in & seated by Hugo
many NYC/centurion/etc have probably spent a fortune on reserve wine
(even though OP did not - that is basically how high end concierges work)
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:37 am
BLV

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
As far as the price of wine, markups are generally substantially less than in the USA and many other countries. While I can't speak for your palate, I've had very decent wines in restaurants in the $200s recently. (I'm not talking high end reds.) I don't know what cost you $800, but if it was a higher end tinto, and it was delicious, and it was part of a great meal, it was worth every centavo. Really, ,no one should make you feel ripped off if you had a fantastic experience and drank an excellent wine for what, US$50-ish a bottle?

As far as theories, I don't really have one. It has been clear for a while that Hugo's ego barely fits on the narrow Estados Unidos.
I don't feel ripped off. I rarely pay attention to discussions that accentuate the cost, no matter the spectrum. Even less attention is paid when someone chooses to point out I've been "had". It's also strange to read about a "US palette", but I guess the NYC part can be confusing As far as Hugo goes. Our only interaction with him was a hello at check-in and a wave when we walked by La Brigada the following day and he was outside
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by BLV
I don't feel ripped off. I rarely pay attention to discussions that accentuate the cost, no matter the spectrum. Even less attention is paid when someone chooses to point out I've been "had". It's also strange to read about a "US palette", but I guess the NYC part can be confusing As far as Hugo goes. Our only interaction with him was a hello at check-in and a wave when we walked by La Brigada the following day and he was outside
Hi BLV, I did not have any intention to say you were "had". Nor did I want to infer that as well (excuse my writing style) Price Quality Ratio with Wine is very subjective. Is a $800 peso wine 8X better than a $100 peso wine, I would think not. I just feel so many restaurants have promo pools that steer the clients in the wrong way. Your seemed to have refered to confirming that some places were overbooked, while some where full of tourists, and some were definite a no go. So I wanted to point out a spot that I liked after many lunches and dinners in BsAs (especially in light that I have been to all posted recently and to most on this board) Yes, I feel that our tastes in Wine generally are different than that of Argentine Consumers.Winemakers are starting to recognize that as well and are making more New World Style of Wines. Yes I do not know your palate but I do know that of the masses in the USA. As to steak are you Peter Lugars, The Homestead, The Palm or Tads .. On the high end of the Argentine wine spectrum,the use of oak falls very short in most cases. Some are really good, and many are not. I have conducted several blind tastings of Argentine wine (in BsAs, MDZ and the USA) Results hands down are that the higher end did not deliver compared to the mid range wines. Glad you had enjoyed your dinner, and thanks for reporting the same. We are an eclectic group on FT. Many try to travel at different levels of cost, so my intentions are to assist the wide sweep. Local to me is always better than touristic spot. Just my humble opinion. Happy Eating and Safe Travels to all

Last edited by Flying Machine; Nov 12, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:18 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hi BLV, I did not have any intention to say you were "had". Nor did I want to infer that as well (excuse my writing style) Price Quality Ratio with Wine is very subjective. Is a $800 peso wine 8X better than a $100 peso wine, I would think not. I just feel so many restaurants have promo pools that steer the clients in the wrong way. Your seemed to have refered to confirming that some places were overbooked, while some where full of tourists, and some were definite a no go. So I wanted to point out a spot that I liked after many lunches and dinners in BsAs (especially in light that I have been to all posted recently and to most on this board) Yes, I feel that our tastes in Wine generally are different than that of Argentine Consumers.Winemakers are starting to recognize that as well and are making more New World Style of Wines. Yes I do not know your palate but I do know that of the masses in the USA. As to steak are you Peter Lugars, The Homestead, The Palm or Tads .. On the high end of the Argentine wine spectrum,the use of oak falls very short in most cases. Some are really good, and many are not. I have conducted several blind tastings of Argentine wine (in BsAs, MDZ and the USA) Results hands down are that the higher end did not deliver compared to the mid range wines. Glad you had enjoyed your dinner, and thanks for reporting the same. We are an eclectic group on FT. Many try to travel at different levels of cost, so my intentions are to assist the wide sweep. Local to me is always better than touristic spot. Just my humble opinion. Happy Eating and Safe Travels to all
What's a promo pool?

No one helped us with our wine selection, i.e. there were no suggestions on behalf of the staff.

While I appreciate the clarification regarding my palate, I'd still be very careful with generalizations and assumptions regarding "the masses". For example, I don't go to any of the steak spots you've listed and the one I do go to isn't a chain. I will never reveal its name because it gets busy at nights as is. The only thing I'll say is that it inspired the trip to BA for the real thing
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:16 pm

In light of another thread about the quality of beef these days I thought that I would revve this thread for us to share the places we like these days for eating beef. Im going to a new spot for me tomorrow and will report back. Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:41 pm

Allie Lazar from Pick Up the Fork has a Parrilla Hit list, how do these stand up to your palate:

http://pickupthefork.com/2016/07/23/...ted-july-2016/

I have followed her fo some time now and I found some off the normal beat type of places from her recommendations... She does a very good job in my opinion representing the local food scene in BsAs. I was flipping channels this morning and noticed that she is now on TV and had a Parrilla expose, very interesting..
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I have been telling folks to avoid Las Lilas at all costs for a very long time now... it has sadly become the most blatant tourist trap of them all.... sad for a restaurant that was once top notch and a leader in the high-end dead cow esperience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.