Best steak house in Buenos Aires

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best steak house in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer

Had a bit of trouble with the menus since I speak Mexican Spanish.
I would say that El Desnivel is around the middle tier of the parrillas in BAires. There are a lot better and a lot worst.

What exactly is Mexican Spanish ?

I do understand the differences between Spanish Spanish and Latin American Spanish, but Mexican Spanish ? As in Dominican Spanish, Colombian Spanish, Costa Rica Spanish... ?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pvdecastro
I would say that El Desnivel is around the middle tier of the parrillas in BAires. There are a lot better and a lot worst.
OK, I'll have to go again. But the bife de chorizo was quite good, though. And the morcilla as an appetizer.

What exactly is Mexican Spanish
Officially it's called Lengua Nacional. At least in Mexican schools.

I do understand the differences between Spanish Spanish and Latin American Spanish, but Mexican Spanish ? As in Dominican Spanish, Colombian Spanish, Costa Rica Spanish... ?
Plenty of differences. The accents being the most obvious.

But since we're speaking about Argentina, what I found a bit strange was the "vosismo". No problem understanding that part, but I didn't respond the same way.

Items on restaurant menus aren't always obvious though. Argentina differentiates between lots of different beef cuts. This isn't the case in Mexico to that extent. The term "bife de" is also South American, although it doesn't require explanation.

A Mexican asking for tortillas in Spain might run into bigger problems.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:50 pm

OK, I'll have to go again. But the bife de chorizo was quite good, though. And the morcilla as an appetizer.

Officially it's called Lengua Nacional. At least in Mexican schools.

Plenty of differences. The accents being the most obvious.

But since we're speaking about Argentina, what I found a bit strange was the "vosismo". No problem understanding that part, but I didn't respond the same way.

Items on restaurant menus aren't always obvious though. Argentina differentiates between lots of different beef cuts. This isn't the case in Mexico to that extent. The term "bife de" is also South American, although it doesn't require explanation.

I understant your point about the different accents , speaking "Spanish spanish" like I do you do see the difference.

It´s only that I´ve never heard the expression "Mexican Spanish" and was curious.

The "vos" to me is "tu" and I "tuteio" everyone. . "Bife" is easier as I´m native Portuguese.

Nice interlude, let´s get back to the steak !
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvdecastro
I understant your point about the different accents , speaking "Spanish spanish" like I do you do see the difference.
It´s only that I´ve never heard the expression "Mexican Spanish" and was curious.
Well, nobody in Austria says that they're speaking Austrian German either. I was just trying to mention that there are differences between the different American types of Spanish.

Likewise, nobody in Mexico calls it Mexican Spanish. The government calls it Lengua Nacional (nobody else does) or Castellano, which is technically correct in a way. But yet Madrid is pronouced Madrid in Mexico, not Madriz.

In real life, if somebody wants to know whether you understand them they'll just ask "habla español?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
You will never see the word "mexican spanish" because for american when you say "hispanic" or "spanish language" they think about Mexico , the same happen on movies when they try to recreate any south america country, all actors always speak with a mexican accent.

I live in Miami and I speak spanglish, cubinglish, español, mexican and colombian

A shaving razor for argentinian is "maquinilla de afeitar" but for mexican is "rastrillo" (garden rake!!!) .
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A Mexican asking for cajeta in Argentina might have even more substantial problems, including possible injury.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fedechat
You will never see the word "mexican spanish" because for american when you say "hispanic" or "spanish language" they think about Mexico
Now we're rapidly entering pet peeve territory - or maybe even Omni. Most Mexicans wouldn't consider themselves "hispanic". Spaniards would, but they aren't considered "hispanics" in the US.

D, the same happen on movies when they try to recreate any south america country, all actors always speak with a mexican accent.
Or they they let Al Pacino impersonate a Cuban (Scarface). That sure sounded weird.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now we're rapidly entering pet peeve territory - or maybe even Omni. .
Yes, now back to the steak house, the manteca is for your bread, it isn't part of your steak
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A Mexican asking for cajeta in Argentina might have even more substantial problems, including possible injury.
Glad I didn't ask for dessert in BAires. Can you explain what it means in Argentina without having your post deleted?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never mind, I googled it and it actually means what I suspected. Should have been evident.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:53 am

Never mind, I googled it and it actually means what I suspected. Should have been evident.
Shall we get off of the clams and back to the steak ?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:19 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Folks... please lets stay away from the seafood innuendo and back on topic, else I will have to take out my moderator whip and use it...

Im in a time out and banning mood today, capische..???!!!!!!!

Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of desserts and steak houses, what are some people's favo(u)rites? I usually find that I'm better off going out and having some ice cream elsewhere after a meal. The gloop-filled pancakes are usually good for a bite or two, and that is it (however, they seem to be quite popular). Are there hidden gems or other menu items that make for a great dessert after a great steak dinner? If so, at which parrillas?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Current favorites?

Bumping this thread to ask the locals:

If you were going out next week, would you go to
- La Brigada?
- El Pobre Luis or
- Mirasol?
- none of the above becase "xxx" is the best

Looking for a really great steak to start off our visit to Buenos Aires.
Thx,
ST
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
El Mirasol is a no no .....

El Pobre Luis.... yes yes yes !!

La Brigada San Telmo is also a yes, but its gotten expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.