Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:37 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Ah got you.

It doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as it used to be.
They are still there...... perhaps there are less of them than before, but they will still pester incoming folks with their offers. I agree with SoFlyOn, stay clear of these bozos, they dont charge less than the properly licensed cars and the risk of getting a bad apple is just not worth taking.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Weekday vs Weekend - Tours vs Free time

Hi,

We're going for the very first time to BA in May. We arrive at 7am-ish on a Thursday (from the UK) and leave Monday night for Iguassu.

We're trying to get a balance of free time vs organised tours and wonder if it's better to do some on a weekend or just leave that to wander? I've been to some cities and Sundays can be particulalrly bad with almost everything shut, or very little to do. Saturday night we were thinking of a Tango dinner show though possibly.

Also, I had planned to dump our bags at the hotel and on the assumption that the room won't be ready, to do a hop on hop off bus tour as a gentle introduction, although I think I was considering just doing a full circut and then hopefully our room would be ready. However I've been hearing that these aren't so good or that they are mixing up a good company with a bad company. Is there any feedback on good/bad companies?

Cheers!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:49 am

Question on tipping custom/practice

I understand that at restaurants, generally tip about 10% of the bill. Give tip separate if paying by credit card.

Taxis - generally no tipping for other than rounding up to the next nearest dollar (peso).

What about tour guide, transfer driver and bell hop at hotels? Is it customary to give them a tip? In other countries, I usually exchange some US$1 bills for tip (rather than figuring with local currency). Is this acceptable in Argentina?

"When in Rome, do as Romans do" is always my motto.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I understand that at restaurants, generally tip about 10% of the bill. Give tip separate if paying by credit card.

Taxis - generally no tipping for other than rounding up to the next nearest dollar (peso).

What about tour guide, transfer driver and bell hop at hotels? Is it customary to give them a tip? In other countries, I usually exchange some US$1 bills for tip (rather than figuring with local currency). Is this acceptable in Argentina?

"When in Rome, do as Romans do" is always my motto.

Many thanks.
10% for serving staff is about right.
Taxi drivers round it up or a bit extra if you're happy.
Transfer drivers will probably be used to extra especially if they have helped with your luggage. Bell boys 5-10 pesos depending on what they do for you.

I'm not the worlds most generous tipper by the way.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
They are still there...... perhaps there are less of them than before, but they will still pester incoming folks with their offers. I agree with SoFlyOn, stay clear of these bozos, they dont charge less than the properly licensed cars and the risk of getting a bad apple is just not worth taking.
I just take the #8 bus from the airport into downtown. It can take 2.5 hours, but it's so cheap, and I'm cheap.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I just take the #8 bus from the airport into downtown. It can take 2.5 hours, but it's so cheap, and I'm cheap.
Ja !! This brings back memories of my high-school and University days. I was quite a spoilt brat mind you, but at times when for some reason my parents could not drive me to & from EZE Ive also taken the Colectivo... nothing like maximizing the amount of spending money my parents gave me for my trips abroad...

Not to scare anybody... but, my University days are over a decade ago, and the Colectivo scene in Buenos Aires, especially the lines that go through the gran Buenos Aires has changed quite a bit. Its not as safe as it once was, so I would normally not suggest the Colectivo option for the average visitor to Argentina.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Quick question: Since Priority Club is raising the points for awards (but allows us to book with old point schedule) for two months...Should I even consider the Intercontinental hotel in Moreno St? Our trip is not until late August. Family of 4, active. Gold HH so I am leaning towards the Hilton. I intend to do a more comprehensive research for what the best hotel would be for us (size of room/upgrade possibilities/location/free breakfasts/swimming pool/value, etc etc)

HH Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Accor Platinum

May I squeeze an extra question about the same issue? How are the IC and CP in Santiago? Should they be on my list of hotels to consider?

Thank you!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:30 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Should I even consider the Intercontinental hotel in Moreno St? Our trip is not until late August. Family of 4, active. Gold HH so I am leaning towards the Hilton.
My preference is the Hilton Buenos Aires over the InterContinental hotel property, as I have stayed at both.

My second choice would be the Marriott.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The Hyatt is worlds better than any of these properties.

Next in line, from the ones mentioned, Hilton, and then the IC. I'd only stay at the IC on Pointbreaks or a cheap stay. I moved from the Hyatt to the IC last time, and it was a rude awakening.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the quick replies! I have no status at all with Hyatt but can get some points from Chase. I will probably go with the Hilton as we have had good experiences being Gold. I just wonder...Regarding the locations of the Hilton and Hyatt...which is better?? First time in BA, we just want to experience it as much as we can.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Not to scare anybody... but, my University days are over a decade ago, and the Colectivo scene in Buenos Aires, especially the lines that go through the gran Buenos Aires has changed quite a bit. Its not as safe as it once was, so I would normally not suggest the Colectivo option for the average visitor to Argentina.
Meh, I think the colectivos are absolutely fine. By far the biggest risk is that, if you don't speak Spanish, you may end up lost and confused with no one who can guide you to your destination.

I think Latin Americans often have an exaggerated sense of personal vulnerability, even when they live in rather safe places (from all the razor wire spread across rich parts of Santiago like Providencia, you'd think you were in Baghdad!) Granted, foreigners can come across as easy targets if they walk around looking like sheep, but the risk of bad things happening in BA is probably less than it would be in London, yet no one tells you to avoid London buses
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Hyatt is obviously much better than the IC or Hilton but seen as it's not an option for you I'd go for the Hilton over the IC.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:03 am
Original Poster

The IC gets good reviews but the location stinks... unless you have business to do in the financial district, I would try to avoid it just because of location and traffic.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Wink Where to stay in Buenos Aires

I admit to a slight bias, as I am an interval owner of this property. We just stayed for the first time at the Fierro, a boutique hotel in Palermo Hollywood. http://www.fierrohotel.com/hotel-overview.html It is well located, near to subte, quiet, and very beautifully appointed without pretense. Staff will do anything for you, and the Hernan Gipponi restaurant (apparently #1 on Trip Advisor) as well as the hotel have won several awards though both have been open for only a bit over one year. The owner/developer is Danish, so it even has a sauna near the rooftop pool, as well as little extras like an espresso maker in the room, robes, drinks near the pool.

Now, for FTers the downside is no big-chain points; the upside is: not the same ol' same ol' (insert chain here). Hey, you're going to see the world; why not see how they (insert nationality here) travel in luxury?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by landrew
I admit to a slight bias, as I am an interval owner of this property. We just stayed for the first time at the Fierro, a boutique hotel in Palermo Hollywood. http://www.fierrohotel.com/hotel-overview.html It is well located, near to subte, quiet, and very beautifully appointed without pretense. Staff will do anything for you, and the Hernan Gipponi restaurant (apparently #1 on Trip Advisor) as well as the hotel have won several awards though both have been open for only a bit over one year. The owner/developer is Danish, so it even has a sauna near the rooftop pool, as well as little extras like an espresso maker in the room, robes, drinks near the pool.

Now, for FTers the downside is no big-chain points; the upside is: not the same ol' same ol' (insert chain here). Hey, you're going to see the world; why not see how they (insert nationality here) travel in luxury?
Thanks for posting this.... just so I understand correctly, your ownership is similar to a time-share type situation.... or is it more like fractional ownership of a Jet...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.