Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyr16
Gaucho:

Where is your wine store in BA? We would like to stop by and purchase some wine....
Just in case Alex does not see this question right away, I'll pitch in.

The store is named Terroir and his website is at http://www.terroir.com.ar/
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:32 am

Thank you Monitor. Its a great website.

I didn't realize Gaucho could ship wines to the US. That is a great help. I will definitely head over there. I can easily disappear for a couple hours in a good wines store.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:01 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
flyr16-- If you need any specific assistance with wines, please feel free to PM me. Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:32 pm

Alright, I've got a question for those who know about switching from EZE to AEP.

I'm going from New York to Ushuaia with LAN and the flight arrives at EZE at 22:30 and then onto Ushuaia at 5:30 the next morning. Now my question, is this:

Would it be worth it to get a room and then just go to AEP in time for my flight or just try to go to AEP right after my flight and hang out until it's time. Could I even get into AEP at that hour of night? Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA since 1998, 1.96 M miles
Jack;
It will only take 30-45 minutes to switch airports that late at night, but there's not much to do at Jorge Newbury during peak hours, everything will be closed that late so there'd be nothing at all. I'm not sure if they completely close AEP, the latest I've been there was around 11 pm, it looked like they were only handling inbound flights. I'd get a room.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Kurt is spot on.... AEP is not a long stay friendly airport, so perhaps your best bet is to get a room where you can shower & change, etc. AEP will not close, but the facilities for anything longer than 2-3 hours are just not the best.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 8:19 am

Boedo, BA

Gaucho, I thought you might be interested that in last weekend's Globe&Mail (Toronto) travel section was an article (from NYTimes) on the 'cultural revival' of the Boedo barrio. It said it was a cultural hotbed in the 1920's and that the Marin family has had a big hand in the rebirth. It mentions Timbre 4 theatre, Monte de Piedad Museum, Pan y Arte, Cossab and Klub Killer. It also mentioned the current fad, 'puertas cerradas' - restaurants in private homes.

Last edited by ziti 2; Feb 20, 2008 at 8:20 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Hi ziti 2, thanks for the heads up. Indeed, the Boedo area is going through a revival of sorts... ^
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:28 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Glad I found this thread here. I am off to Argentina later this year.

Would like to spend some time in EZE as well as Iguzu Falls. Will come back here when I get the dates set and start looking at air tix, transport, hotels, food, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
There's another huge thread here on Igauzu Falls - well worth checking out.

Staying at the Sheraton, which is in the park, is the way to go. Otherwise you have a 1/2 hour taxi/bus ride, which drops you at the tourist center then you have to pay park admission ($10 or so) and take the tram/train just to get where you would be if you walked out of your room at the Sheraton.

There is an old Jeremy Irons film ,The Mission, that was on location there years ago about the missionaries in the area. Very good film, and the footage of the falls is spectacular. I was told it was the movie company that provided the money for the marvelous walkways there now.

Staying at AEP would be not so good. If at all possible, get a hotel. Taxis in Buenos Aires are cheap, the food is wonderful, local hotels reasonably priced. I think you could easily skip the hotel to eat, drink and dance all most of the night then go back to the airport in the early morning. Nothing wrong with the airport, it's just very basic. In fact, except for the food court, I don't think there is any seating outside of security.

Don't miss the falls. They were the highlight of my last few years of travels.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:13 am
Original Poster

I agree with lili on the caution about hanging around AEP (and EZE) for longer periods of time... simply because there is nothing to do and the few services that are offered are very basic and ridiculously expensive. On the subject of food at AEP... these past few days with the strikes that affected Austral, I was watching news reports where tourists were (among other complaints) ranting about the fact that the food vendors are charging outrageous amounts for the lousy food... some examples:

AR$16 for a micro sized espresso with 2 croissants
AR$14 for a small sized orange juice
AR$42 for a small steak with a side order

For comparisons sake... you could walk into any neighbourhood or downtown coffee shop and pay 50% less for all these items..... sure, in USD terms these prices seem reasonable but for Buenos Aires they are highway robbery.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Hi, has anyone stayed at the Kempinski park plaza hotel lately? Is it nice? I see SOME say it is in Ricoleta while others say it is not? We're looking for a nice place, over the easter weekend where a lot of things are sold out. Have the IC reserved for the first night, but would like to change to something more quant.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:19 pm

I was planning on a week stay in BA this upcoming August while staying at the Marriot hotel. I could not find any comments in this thread about the facility and the reviews online are mixed.

Any comments?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

The Marriott Plaza is a very traditional hotel, with a style of decor that will please those that like traditional European style Grand-Hotels. Some rooms are dated, so your overall experience will depend on what room you get assigned, and what sort of a hotel ambiance you prefer. The Hotel has some excellent bars/restaurants and is very well located.

To sum things up... if you like super modern hotels with Internet WiFi all over the building and glass all over the place, avoid the Marriott Plaza. But if you like older style furniture and traditional decor.... then this place may be ideal for you.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Hi, has anyone stayed at the Kempinski park plaza hotel lately? Is it nice? I see SOME say it is in Ricoleta while others say it is not? We're looking for a nice place, over the easter weekend where a lot of things are sold out. Have the IC reserved for the first night, but would like to change to something more quant.
I stayed there on my first trip to BA four years ago and several friends have stayed there recently. Overall a good hotel with fine service, maybe a tad dated. It is in the Recoleta, just on the line with the Retiro but a very nice location. As for the hotel, the rooms are on the small side, the public spaces are limited, and the breakfast is nice. The one problem can be the elevators which are very small and can take what seems like ages to arrive. Also they tend to stick to the 2pm check in time so arriving after an overnight flight and having to wait for hours to check in can be an issue. As for other hotels not sure what your definition of quaint is, maybe if you could provide some guidance you might get better direction.
Sam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.