Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:45 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tazi
Quick question ... I will need to exchange some money upon arrival at EZE. I have read here to avoid the money changers and use the bank right outside customs. Does this bank have an atm? I arrive at 6am
The Banco Nacion should be open then... if not, there are ATMs at EZE.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The Banco Nacion should be open then... if not, there are ATMs at EZE.
Ok, thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:18 am

Has anyone stayed at the Ceasar Park (using Amex Plat FHR privileges)?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:47 am

The Reindeer is coming to Buenos Aires in October!

What is the postage rate for sending post cards to the U.S.?

This is a beautiful thread!
Old Aug 18, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Wow, what a fantastic thread! GU Wonder, Gaucho 100k and other what great insight. I have been researching Buenos Aires for a few weeks and am looking at an October long weekend type visit. Thanks for all of the information. I am quite excited. ^
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum- points,American Airlines-miles,Copa Airlines
Question Exchanging dollars to pounds in Argentina

I am in Argentina and going to the UK next week. Is it better to exchange dollars for pounds at one of the exchange houses or wait until I get to LHR? Is it even possible? (I don't use my ATM card, ever)
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:39 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by travelgirl5534
I am in Argentina and going to the UK next week. Is it better to exchange dollars for pounds at one of the exchange houses or wait until I get to LHR? Is it even possible? (I don't use my ATM card, ever)
Welcome to FT travelgirl5534

I would recommend using an ATM. Its generally the cheapest way to get
foreign currency without a lot of transaction fees. Rates are also
bit better compared to many currency exchange places.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
From your post, I conclude that you currently hold USD cash and wish to get cash in Pound Sterling.

If this is the case, do not exchange this in Buenos Aires, as you will get arbitraged twice. Local money changers only do USDs to Pesos directly (a few are now doing Euros to Pesos also), but any other currency gets traded via Pesos first. This means that to get Pounds in Buenos Aires, you will first get transacted from Dollars to Pesos, and then from Pesos to Pounds... in the end, it will kill you. I suggest taking your USD bills to London and then seeking a good exchange bureau, which may mean waiting until you are in town. My guess is that your best bet is to use your ATM card at LHR and then swap your USD bills in the city to get the rest of the Sterling you will need.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:18 pm

From your post, I conclude that you currently hold USD cash and wish to get cash in Pound Sterling.

If this is the case, do not exchange this in Buenos Aires, as you will get arbitraged twice. Local money changers only do USDs to Pesos directly (a few are now doing Euros to Pesos also), but any other currency gets traded via Pesos first. This means that to get Pounds in Buenos Aires, you will first get transacted from Dollars to Pesos, and then from Pesos to Pounds... in the end, it will kill you. I suggest taking your USD bills to London and then seeking a good exchange bureau, which may mean waiting until you are in town. My guess is that your best bet is to use your ATM card at LHR and then swap your USD bills in the city to get the rest of the Sterling you will need.
Good call! Thanks! I would have exchanged it here and traded 2 times.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Good call! Thanks! I would have exchanged it here and traded 2 times.
Been there, done that. Don't feel bad, and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi guys --

Can anyone give me an update about the domestic Argentine airline situation, especially as it pertains to foreigners buying tickets. I have an AA award ticket that is "supposed" to include a connecting LAN Argentina flight, but LAN doesn't seem to want to make any award tickets available. So I may need to buy a domestic ticket. The domestic prices on Aerolineas' and Lan's US-focused websites seem high (especially compared to what I paid a couple years ago). Is there any way for a "gringo" to save money buying domestic tickets through a BA-based travel agent?

Thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:22 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
My guess is that your best bet is to use your ATM card at LHR and then swap your USD bills in the city to get the rest of the Sterling you will need.
travelgirl5534, Gaucho 100K is spot on here.

If you are dead against using your ATM card, then exchange at LHR what you need for your immediate spending.

Then when in London (or any of the other big cities/towns), look out for a Marks & Spencer store that has a exchange bureaux. There is a list here. If you are in London, use the search box entering "London" as the stores are listed under their areas like "Covent Garden". Clicking on the "L" link doesn't pull up the London stores.

M&S normally have the best exchange rates, that's in my experience and also that of surveys. But do check a couple of local banks as well just in case, do not use any of the "exchange windows" that are around in the tourist areas, use a bank, main travel agency (Thomas Cook, etc.), not an on street window. The street exchange windows offer appalling rates and there are regularly reports of them being less than honest, using tricks to short change you.

M&S do not list their $/£ rates on their site (they do list £/$), I will be in one of the stores later today and I will check and edit this post.

For info Travelex, run a lot of the airport exchange bureaux, here is a link to their rates.

Update on UK exchange rates: 21/08/2007 11:30

Marks & Spencer $2.06 = £1.00
NatWest (Big UK bank) $2.144 = £1.00
Travelex $2.1543 = £1.00
High Street Money Changer $2.165 = £1.00

These rates were taken from the M&S Bureaux in Watford, just north of London. The High Street changer was in the same town and was a general money change, Western Union, DHL type store. NatWest and Travelex rates online, rates at the airport may be different.

Assuming no other charges $1000 will get you £485.43 in M&S, £461.89 in the High Street Changer. The UK is expensive enough for $ visitors, so do make sure you get the best rate for your $.

I hope this is useful to any Argentine visitor to the UK. Gaucho100K helped me the same when we visited BA and Bariloche this year, so it's pay back time..!!

Last edited by phreegreens; Aug 21, 2007 at 4:43 am Reason: exchange rate update
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:58 pm

Thank you so much for your help! The list of locations will be a life saver, or should I say a huge money saver Especially considering there seems to be quite a bit of a difference between the 2 given $1000 USD is exchanged and the difference is 23.54 pounds that's a huge difference. Hopefully someday I will get the chance to help someone like the way you have helped me. I really appreciate it ^

Originally Posted by phreegreens
travelgirl5534, Gaucho 100K is spot on here.

If you are dead against using your ATM card, then exchange at LHR what you need for your immediate spending.

Then when in London (or any of the other big cities/towns), look out for a Marks & Spencer store that has a exchange bureaux. There is a list here. If you are in London, use the search box entering "London" as the stores are listed under their areas like "Covent Garden". Clicking on the "L" link doesn't pull up the London stores.

M&S normally have the best exchange rates, that's in my experience and also that of surveys. But do check a couple of local banks as well just in case, do not use any of the "exchange windows" that are around in the tourist areas, use a bank, main travel agency (Thomas Cook, etc.), not an on street window. The street exchange windows offer appalling rates and there are regularly reports of them being less than honest, using tricks to short change you.

M&S do not list their $/ rates on their site (they do list /$), I will be in one of the stores later today and I will check and edit this post.

For info Travelex, run a lot of the airport exchange bureaux, here is a link to their rates.

Update on UK exchange rates: 21/08/2007 11:30

Marks & Spencer $2.06 = 1.00
NatWest (Big UK bank) $2.144 = 1.00
Travelex $2.1543 = 1.00
High Street Money Changer $2.165 = 1.00

These rates were taken from the M&S Bureaux in Watford, just north of London. The High Street changer was in the same town and was a general money change, Western Union, DHL type store. NatWest and Travelex rates online, rates at the airport may be different.

Assuming no other charges $1000 will get you 485.43 in M&S, 461.89 in the High Street Changer. The UK is expensive enough for $ visitors, so do make sure you get the best rate for your $.

I hope this is useful to any Argentine visitor to the UK. Gaucho100K helped me the same when we visited BA and Bariloche this year, so it's pay back time..!!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Shouldn't questions regarding changing money in London be on the London forum, rather than the Buenos Aires forum?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
Hi guys --

Can anyone give me an update about the domestic Argentine airline situation, especially as it pertains to foreigners buying tickets. I have an AA award ticket that is "supposed" to include a connecting LAN Argentina flight, but LAN doesn't seem to want to make any award tickets available. So I may need to buy a domestic ticket. The domestic prices on Aerolineas' and Lan's US-focused websites seem high (especially compared to what I paid a couple years ago). Is there any way for a "gringo" to save money buying domestic tickets through a BA-based travel agent?

Thanks.
Prices have changed since you last bought your domestic tickets, with increases that have been up to 40% for some routes. In addition, please note that airlines have restricted fares that are available for residents of Argentina, so non resident tourists do not apply.

The possibility of purchasing resident only fares has been discussed at lenght on various threads, you have to decide if you want to roll the dice. Let me dig up a couple of the threads that deal with the details of what the options and rules are on this and get back to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.