Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Im almost 100% in agreement with Dan..... perhaps with the exception of Santino, one of the first restaurants to open in Las Canitas. Yes, it is somewhat inconsistent, but on good days the food is very good.
Just a follow up to Alex's recommendation, Eh! Santino is only a small restaurant, and quite popular. So if you want to be assured of a table, arrive early, say at 8:30, before the crowds.

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=370

John
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I dont recommend Las Lilas for a number of reasons....

a) they are inconsistent. at the price point they operate, this is not acceptable

b) if you go during peak hours on busy days, service will be sub-par and chances are you steak will be cold

c) prices for food are very expensive for EZE standards... and the wine list is outrageously overpriced

d) its not the real Argentine experience... its a quasi-US style steakhouse experience.... do you need this when you come to EZE...? I dont think so

e) there is a good list of other places that are better priced, have more consistent quality food & service... so why bother with Cabana Las Lilas?
Just browsing this thread in anticipation of next week's trip to EZE and wanted to second what Gaucho100K says...

I've been to Las Lilas three times and have never really been blown away.

Don't get me wrong... it's a safe choice, but there is much, much better food and dining experience to be had elsewhere, IMHO.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:38 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Friends will be here over Thanksgiving and want to go someplace for a traditional meal. Can someone recommend a place other than the Marriott?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So many great restaurants to try, so little time . . . .

One question though --

If I find myself in the Microcentro (near Florida) and I want a great steak at a good price, where should I go? Or would I be significantly better off taking a taxi to one of the previously recommended restaurants?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by iahphx
So many great restaurants to try, so little time . . . .

One question though --

If I find myself in the Microcentro (near Florida) and I want a great steak at a good price, where should I go? Or would I be significantly better off taking a taxi to one of the previously recommended restaurants?

Thanks!
In BsAs Taxi's are cheap.

We've been here one night, and based on our experience, I'd suggest spending 5 USD or so for a ride to Parilla Brigida in San Telmo. It is well enough known that I spoke the address to the cab driver and he said "Ah Brigida? . . . Carne!" and smiled.

We went there last night. My girlfriend ordered the Bife de Lomo and it was the second best steak I've ever eaten in my life.

It only ranked second best as the best was the Bife de Chorizo that I ordered.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VPescado
It only ranked second best as the best was the Bife de Chorizo that I ordered.
That's certainly a testimonial! I plan to get to La Brigada. I can't recall ever seeing a parilla recommendation near Florida, even though the area has lots of restaurants.

But maybe few good ones.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by iahphx
That's certainly a testimonial! I plan to get to La Brigada. I can't recall ever seeing a parilla recommendation near Florida, even though the area has lots of restaurants.

But maybe few good ones.
El Establo is in the Microcenter area just a block off Florida. The Bife de lomo there was wonderful and I enjoyed it much more than my meal at La Brigada. Here is a link to a picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/khaehl/B...50095794649378
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tazi
El Establo is in the Microcenter area just a block off Florida. The Bife de lomo there was wonderful and I enjoyed it much more than my meal at La Brigada. Here is a link to a picture:
Thanks for reminding me of that one. I recall a flyertalker got passed counterfeit notes there by a waiter. But it otherwise gets good reviews. If I try it, I'll make sure to have exact change.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:47 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
For another parrilla option, dont forget La Cabrera, which has lately had an important jump in my list of preferred parrilla places.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
For another parrilla option, dont forget La Cabrera, which has lately had an important jump in my list of preferred parrilla places.
Would that be the location at Cabrera 5127 or Cabrera 5099? They are a half block away from each other, but seem to have the same name (and a decent amount of confusion).
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
They both belong to the same owner.... one is La Cabrera, and the other is La Cabrera Norte.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I can now add my two cents worth of experience.

If you want to try La Brigada in San Telmo, phone ahead before your arrival in BA. We made 3 "same day" efforts to get in, all unsuccessful. Throughout Argentina, we kept running into folks who loved the steak there, so I'm guessing it's well worth the effort.

El Establo was a very good "old time" parrilla in Centro. No complaints.

After being turned down by La Brigada, the concierge at our hotel recommended "La Chacrita" in Recoleta for steak. I was beyond skeptical, but we had just come in off the red-eye and didn't feel like hunting for an alternative. It turned out La Chacrita WAS good: my sleepiness at the time prevents me from making an accurate comparative judgment, but if you want a more modern parrilla in Recoleta at a fair price, it's certainly not a bad choice.

We also wanted a late afternoon steak dinner before heading to the airport on our last night in town. Given the off-hour, our local volunteer guide (ciccerone) recommended La Estancia -- "touristy but tasty." He was very much correct. I remembered eating there 19 years ago! I thought the grillmaster did a fantastic job cooking my bife de chorizo (not sure it was the best cut of meat I'd had in Argentina, but it was the best prepared). So don't write that place off as a tourist trap. Fair prices, too, albeit with somewhat spotty service.

For fancier fare, we tried Gaucho's highly-recommended PuraTierra. Gaucho is very much correct -- it's a very nice spot for fine dining. Dinner for 2 with decent but not great wine was about US$60. We were stunned when they presented us an English language menu (helpful in fine dining restaurants, as we would not have understood all the Spanish ingredient and preparation terms). Frankly, I thought the atmosphere and service were better than the food -- which was still very good. We ordered their sampler plate for the appetizer, which was tasty but somewhat lean. For our main dishes, our server recommended the seasoned beef and the glazed pork. We ordered both, and liked the pork better (there's so much good beef in Argentina that an alternative is nice!). For dessert, the chocolate mousse was excellent. The funniest thing about dining in a place like this is that we had the restaurant completely to ourselves until after 9:30. Personally, I like dinning unfashionably early in BA -- you get better service, and who really wants dinner at 11 pm?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Glad you enjoyed Pura Tierra.... yes, the dining scene in EZE begins at around 10pm, so dining early does have its advantages.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad you enjoyed Pura Tierra.... yes, the dining scene in EZE begins at around 10pm, so dining early does have its advantages.
Personally, I think it's good to be unfashionable while eating in Argentina, because you get better service (and dining at 10 pm isn't that conducive to getting a good start the next day). In Patagonia, we tended to eat later (because it got dark well after 9 pm and didn't seem that late), and the service would inevitably decline as more patrons showed up! We passed on at least 2 dessert courses because we just wanted to flee the restaurant and get some rest.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA
Just finished a hugely enjoyable trip to Buenos Aires, this is my first trip back to Argentina in five years! We visited a few of the recommended restaurants
but unfortunatley time would not allow us to visit them all!

Here are my thoughts on a few of them:

Parilla 1880 - Visited this parilla twice and had reservations on both evenings. This was the biggest and best Bife de Chorizo (Sirloin) I have ever eaten, perfectly cooked Žal puntoŽand was exceptionaly tasty, my partner attested her Bife de Lomo (Fillet) was the best she had ever eaten. The food is extremely reasonably priced, the winelist was good and again very reasonably priced. Service was also excellent. This is an exceptional parilla and I would highly recommend.

La Cabera Norte - Had no reservation for a Monday evening, but had no difficulty getting a table. Service was a little 'gruff'' but the Bife de Lomo was perfect, portions huge and and accompaniments were nothing short of superb. Again a good winelist at fairly reasonable prices. Overall very good but more expensive than Parilla 1880 and service was a little bit of a letdown.

PuraTierra - Superb friendly and efficient service. Tuesday evening 10pm and the place was full, we had no reservation, however we got seated at the bar. The food was very good, the winelist excellent at very reasonable prices. I would definitely recommend as a good 'beef' break from BA's Parillas.

Many thanks to Gaucho100k for all the excellent invaluable advice given through this forum. I now am looking forward to the dining recommendations in my next Argentine destination, Mendoza!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.