December 2023: Argentina is (was?) the best country to visit RIGHT NOW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

December 2023: Argentina is (was?) the best country to visit RIGHT NOW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Technically it's a commuter train, not a Subte, no?
Sorry about that.. Should have been more clear but you can use your SUBE card to ride on it.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by anc305
Sorry about that.. Should have been more clear but you can use your SUBE card to ride on it.
Yes you can I do recall at some stations there was a ticket booth and you mentioned where you were going and they used your SUBE card for payment. Sit on the right side in the direction the train is going on the way to Tigre for some nice ocean views and on the left returning to the city

I used the local water taxis to get around in Tigre and you can use your SUBE card there as well at the ticket booth. I felt it was a much more enjoyable way of getting around the Delta without taking those expensive tourist boats

FYI the station in Olivos is a few blocks away from the presidential home, I was staying close to the small station one stop away in the direction of Tigre which had a nice little restaurant and coffee spot

Last edited by Flying Machine; Mar 17, 2024 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Sit on the right side in the direction the train is going on the way to Tigre for some nice ocean views and on the left returning to the city
Ocean?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Is SUBE nationwide now? I remember on my last trip in 2019, when I was in Neuqun the kioscos had the sticker up saying you could refill your card there, but I never actually used public transport down there. And I was reading some stuff about Tierra del Fuego in preparation for my upcoming trip, and it seems SUBE is now in use for local transport in Ushuaia. Is it everywhere at this point?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Ocean?
Well, Kinda Rio de la Plata
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:31 am

We used it last month in Mar del Plata.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:42 am

During recent travels we used the SUBE card for the bus in Bariloche when I did not have a phone signal for UBER. They do not accept it in Salta.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:29 pm

I sure am confused, cash vs. card vs. USD vs. Argentina Pesos. Most of the discussion seems to relate o BA. I booked a hotel in Ushuaia via booking.com, priced in USD, using a US credit card. The fine print is that the room will actually be charged in ARS and that the cost may change based on the exchange rate. Is this a good thing or bad thing?

TIA
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
During recent travels we used the SUBE card for the bus in Bariloche when I did not have a phone signal for UBER. They do not accept it in Salta.
Bariloche uses SUBE. I needed a ride to the bus station to get across the border to Puerto Montt (no flights) and I couldn't get an Uber ride on a Sunday morning. Had to ride without paying because they didn't take cash and I had no SUBE card. Driver wasn't thrilled.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Bariloche uses SUBE. I needed a ride to the bus station to get across the border to Puerto Montt (no flights) and I couldn't get an Uber ride on a Sunday morning. Had to ride without paying because they didn't take cash and I had no SUBE card. Driver wasn't thrilled.
Surprised he didn't kick you off the bus. Meanwhile, the price of a short bus ride in the Capital has increased over 600% in USD terms since January.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Surprised he didn't kick you off the bus. Meanwhile, the price of a short bus ride in the Capital has increased over 600% in USD terms since January.
Yes, that would have been a real risk. We were in a bad position because we were leaving Argentina for Chile first thing that morning and had gotten read of all our Argentine money (as one would) so we couldn't even pay a fellow passenger in cash to swipe their card. We were quite surprised that there were no Uber rides to be had at 9 am on a Sunday, but Uber doesn't have that many drivers in Bariloche and they apparently don't feel like working on weekend mornings. Unlike in BA, you can't pre-reserve an Uber (like we did in BA for a 6 am ride to Aeroparque).

BTW, have Uber fares (especially in BA) also dramatically increased in cost this year?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yes, that would have been a real risk. We were in a bad position because we were leaving Argentina for Chile first thing that morning and had gotten read of all our Argentine money (as one would) so we couldn't even pay a fellow passenger in cash to swipe their card. We were quite surprised that there were no Uber rides to be had at 9 am on a Sunday, but Uber doesn't have that many drivers in Bariloche and they apparently don't feel like working on weekend mornings. Unlike in BA, you can't pre-reserve an Uber (like we did in BA for a 6 am ride to Aeroparque).

BTW, have Uber fares (especially in BA) also dramatically increased in cost this year?
I don't think you should return anytime soon. My figures are in USD terms. Bus rides are up 600% this year (as in since January), unregistered SUBE cards will now cost double the fare (and you can no longer register one without a DNI), my little empanada spot is up 60% since January, a nice steak at one of the more touristy spots is in the $50 to $60 range, I saw on the news that medicines are up 77% in 2 months, my steak sandwich, salad and glass of wine in the Mercado San Telmo, with a modest tip (ok, tourist central, but still) was $28. On the other hand, a lovely pizza dinner for 2, including a faina with tomato, arugula and fresh cheese, with 4 glasses of wine was $28. Uber / Regular taxi / Cabify fares still reasonable. Remise services not so much.

So, given your prior posts, this is no longer a place that you should travel. For the rest of us, sticker shock for Argentina, but still not an expensive place on a world standard.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't think you should return anytime soon. My figures are in USD terms. Bus rides are up 600% this year (as in since January), unregistered SUBE cards will now cost double the fare (and you can no longer register one without a DNI), my little empanada spot is up 60% since January, a nice steak at one of the more touristy spots is in the $50 to $60 range, I saw on the news that medicines are up 77% in 2 months, my steak sandwich, salad and glass of wine in the Mercado San Telmo, with a modest tip (ok, tourist central, but still) was $28. On the other hand, a lovely pizza dinner for 2, including a faina with tomato, arugula and fresh cheese, with 4 glasses of wine was $28. Uber / Regular taxi / Cabify fares still reasonable. Remise services not so much.

So, given your prior posts, this is no longer a place that you should travel. For the rest of us, sticker shock for Argentina, but still not an expensive place on a world standard.
Everything is relative. Obviously, last December Argentina (as I noted) was an extraordinary opportunity for affluent Northern Hemispherians to have a nice reverse-season extended stay. I guess we will have to wait and see what the next several months bring to gauge next summer's prices. Right now, I'm thinking the Cape region of South Africa will be a better value opportunity (both Argentina and South Africa offer extraordinary "Western" experiences at low prices), but obviously South Africa has its own problems (most notably, a corrupt and incompetent government standing for relection in May). Such are the perils of seeking good value stays in somewhat unstable countries. Candidly, neither country would be atttractive for a long-term stay if the prices actually got high -- which could happen -- because these are lifestyle destinations (when the lifestyle is expensive, you will naturally have a worse time).
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:54 pm

I used my SUBE card this month ( March 2024) for both a RT to Tigre and a few subway trips. . It is an old card from several years back and is not registered. Will I be able to use it in the future ? Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used my SUBE card this month ( March 2024) for both a RT to Tigre and a few subway trips. . It is an old card from several years back and is not registered. Will I be able to use it in the future ? Thanks
You will be able to use the card. The fares charged will be double the registered card fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.