FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - December 2023: Argentina is (was?) the best country to visit RIGHT NOW
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:49 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yes, that would have been a real risk. We were in a bad position because we were leaving Argentina for Chile first thing that morning and had gotten read of all our Argentine money (as one would) so we couldn't even pay a fellow passenger in cash to swipe their card. We were quite surprised that there were no Uber rides to be had at 9 am on a Sunday, but Uber doesn't have that many drivers in Bariloche and they apparently don't feel like working on weekend mornings. Unlike in BA, you can't pre-reserve an Uber (like we did in BA for a 6 am ride to Aeroparque).

BTW, have Uber fares (especially in BA) also dramatically increased in cost this year?
I don't think you should return anytime soon. My figures are in USD terms. Bus rides are up 600% this year (as in since January), unregistered SUBE cards will now cost double the fare (and you can no longer register one without a DNI), my little empanada spot is up 60% since January, a nice steak at one of the more touristy spots is in the $50 to $60 range, I saw on the news that medicines are up 77% in 2 months, my steak sandwich, salad and glass of wine in the Mercado San Telmo, with a modest tip (ok, tourist central, but still) was $28. On the other hand, a lovely pizza dinner for 2, including a faina with tomato, arugula and fresh cheese, with 4 glasses of wine was $28. Uber / Regular taxi / Cabify fares still reasonable. Remise services not so much.

So, given your prior posts, this is no longer a place that you should travel. For the rest of us, sticker shock for Argentina, but still not an expensive place on a world standard.