Search

Argentina/Uruguay planning help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2023, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Argentina/Uruguay planning help

Hey all,

We are in beginning stages of planning our SA trip in January. Our plan was to fly into MVD, spend 3 nights, take the ferry to EZE and spend 4 nights, fly to Iguazu Falls for 2 days, and then fly home. Would love some recs! Is 3 days in MVD enough? Should we do 2 days? Is 4 days in EZE enough? I want to save Patagonia for the next trip with Chile, so we would just check out norther Argentina and the falls. We were thinking mostly spending time in EZE, maybe day trip to Cardoba. Any recommendations at all? Anything else recommended in Argentina besides Buenos Aires (if we are planning on doing southern Arg and patagonia on another trip).

Edit: 2 adults, 6 year old and 2 year old that are well traveled

Last edited by TravelDoorsOut; Aug 12, 2023 at 5:00 am
Old Aug 12, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Instead of 3 days in Montevideo, can you do 2 days and on your way to Buenos Aires, stop in Colonia for the day? I
Old Aug 12, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Instead of 3 days in Montevideo, can you do 2 days and on your way to Buenos Aires, stop in Colonia for the day? I
Pretty much agree. 2 full days in MVD is "plenty" on a limited time trip. The Colonia stop is worthwhile, but a full day there is more than enough. What I do not know is what sort of luggage storage facilities there may be during your Colonia stop. I assume that Buquebus or Colonia Express has some sort of service (or that a service is available at the terminal).

Day trip to Cordoba - don't. Not dissing Cordoba (I've never been except for a flight diversion, sitting on a plane for 2 hours), but you'll be turning your trip into an If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium experience. If you feel the need to get out of the "Big City" for part of a day, might I suggest taking the bus to La Plata for some interesting architecture. (I won't suggest taking the train to Tigre, although others may. The only reason I'll return to Tigre is if I want to do some furniture shopping.)

The "worst" that can happen when you spend not enough time in a place is the desire to return - as opposed to spending too much time somewhere, wishing you had allocated your time differently. If you spend one more day @ MVD and one less @ BUE, you'll probably feel the latter. (Not dissing MVD either)
Old Aug 12, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
What sort of hotels are you looking for ? Budget ?

2 days MVD . 4 days BUE , 2 days IGR would be a nice trip.

Add a day in Colonia if you wish but I would overnight to avoid hassles and that would also solve the problem where do I leave my bags? When we do a Uruguay trip we try and overnight in Colonia on the way back as the city has a nice vibe in the evening and is quite ttranquil.

MVD-BUE ferry is 2hrs 15mins / 2hrs 30 mins - COL - BUE ferry is an hour.- MVD has 2 frequencies per day , Colonia has 4-6 depending on the month , sometimes as much as 7/8 in January -February.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malagajohn

Add a day in Colonia if you wish but I would overnight to avoid hassles and that would also solve the problem where do I leave my bags? When we do a Uruguay trip we try and overnight in Colonia on the way back as the city has a nice vibe in the evening and is quite ttranquil.

MVD-BUE ferry is 2hrs 15mins / 2hrs 30 mins - COL - BUE ferry is an hour.- MVD has 2 frequencies per day , Colonia has 4-6 depending on the month , sometimes as much as 7/8 in January -February.
Where would you suggest for Colonia lodging? I've never spent the night (and haven't been in many years) but the idea of going over mid-day, spending the night, and coming back in the AM sounds appealing. Also, have you taken Colonia Express? I have not, but it is a relatively short walk from my place, and I expect the return is more pleasant than arriving at the Buquebus terminal, looking for a taxi.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Pretty much agree. 2 full days in MVD is "plenty" on a limited time trip. The Colonia stop is worthwhile, but a full day there is more than enough. What I do not know is what sort of luggage storage facilities there may be during your Colonia stop. I assume that Buquebus or Colonia Express has some sort of service (or that a service is available at the terminal).

Day trip to Cordoba - don't. Not dissing Cordoba (I've never been except for a flight diversion, sitting on a plane for 2 hours), but you'll be turning your trip into an If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium experience. If you feel the need to get out of the "Big City" for part of a day, might I suggest taking the bus to La Plata for some interesting architecture. (I won't suggest taking the train to Tigre, although others may. The only reason I'll return to Tigre is if I want to do some furniture shopping.)

The "worst" that can happen when you spend not enough time in a place is the desire to return - as opposed to spending too much time somewhere, wishing you had allocated your time differently. If you spend one more day @ MVD and one less @ BUE, you'll probably feel the latter. (Not dissing MVD either)
I love the quote, thats how I like to live my life. Do you think we can take a taxi, early from MVD to Colonia, stash our suitcase and explore for a few hours prior to boarding the ferry?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malagajohn

Weird to say, but no- we are not looking for budged lodging. We are with two kids, and we like hotels w/ amenities (not to sound snobby)- would love recs. I was thinking leaving MVD in the AM, spending the day in Colonia ,and taking the evening Ferry? Is that just too much? Is Colonia a must see?

Last edited by TravelDoorsOut; Aug 13, 2023 at 1:07 am
Old Aug 13, 2023, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Is 3-4 days in BUE enough if we are not planning day trips?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
Weird to say, but no- we are not looking for budged lodging. We are with two kids, and we like hotels w/ amenities (not to sound snobby)- would love recs. I was thinking leaving MVD in the AM, spending the day in Colonia ,and taking the evening Ferry? Is that just too much? Is Colonia a must see?
For some, a must see. It is a UNESCO world heritage site, and probably a good introduction (if they don't already have one) for the kids seeing and enjoying "really old historical stuff."

Is 3-4 days in BUE enough if we are not planning day trips?
No, but it does provide ample time for a good "sampler" trip. My first few trips, many years ago, were probably 3 or so nights.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the quote, thats how I like to live my life. Do you think we can take a taxi, early from MVD to Colonia, stash our suitcase and explore for a few hours prior to boarding the ferry?
I think a taxi will be several hundreds of USD, but no actual idea. There should be regular reliable bus services, but no personal experience. (I've only taken the ferry to/from BUE to each place, but not traveled between them.)
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:12 pm

Where would you suggest for Colonia lodging? I've never spent the night (and haven't been in many years) but the idea of going over mid-day, spending the night, and coming back in the AM sounds appealing. Also, have you taken Colonia Express? I have not, but it is a relatively short walk from my place, and I expect the return is more pleasant than arriving at the Buquebus terminal, looking for a taxi.
Colonia Express is a low-cost version of Buquebus.

They have two vessels right now - one with no car deck and this is a bit old, to be honest. The one with the car deck is absolutely fine! The other is OK but is looking its age.

We used ColoniaExpress quite a lot when we lived in CABA, but now we are in Escobar and my remise driver prefers Buquebus.

I hear on the grapevine, that the owners of Colonia Express have purchased a winery in Uruguay close to Colonia and shortly they will be starting tours within a few months ---this sounds interesting !
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:15 pm

Eastbay1K , what i didn't say , is if the location is good for you , go ahead and do it. Its a one hour journey after ll.

And important for some - the duty free shop on CE is not as good but I hear they are upgrading it soon.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:25 pm

I think a taxi will be several hundreds of USD, but no actual idea. There should be regular reliable bus services, but no personal experience. (I've only taken the ferry to/from BUE to each place, but not traveled between them.)
An Uber will cost between 300 and 400 dollars
YOU might get a driver to negotiate but I would think 250 is the best you can get.

There are plenty of buses from Tres Cruces in MVD to Colonia - its about 14/15 USD per person
Bus quality is pretty good and comfortable
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:27 pm

I dont think the port has a left luggage place. It is certainly possible that either ferry company allows early bag check. I just don't know as when I go with bags I have the car and the bags are in the trunk.

the port is very quiet and my worry is if it would be safe...?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:32 pm

Eastbay1K , let me look at the last place we stayed in, last December, I cant remember the name of the place. I have just messaged the boss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.