Argentina/Uruguay planning help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Argentina/Uruguay planning help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
The last time I was in Uruguay, I spent a couple of nights in Colonia and stayed here. It was a great location, very comfortable, and the staff was excellent:

https://elcapullo.com/

Can I ask why you're keen on Montevideo? That's a very unusual choice for a first-time visitor to the region. I actually really love Montevideo (and personally, I prefer it to BsAs), but I realize that's very much a minority opinion. So I'm curious as to why you're making it such a big part of your trip.

Depending on what you want to do in BsAs, I would think 4 days would suffice - but what specifically are your interests? If you can tell more about what you're looking to get out of your trip, I'm happy to make more substantive recommendations, as I know both cities quite well. Are you looking for culture, fancy restaurants, shopping, just soaking up the vibe of the place...? Also, do you speak Spanish?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn
I dont think the port has a left luggage place. It is certainly possible that either ferry company allows early bag check. I just don't know as when I go with bags I have the car and the bags are in the trunk.

the port is very quiet and my worry is if it would be safe...?
Do you return with "ever so slightly worn" neumaticos? [OT, but had to ask!]
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Do you return with "ever so slightly worn" neumaticos? [OT, but had to ask!]
HAHAHAHAHA

Last December, we bought our new tires in MVD ! Seriously my tires were not available - I use a model of run-flat tires that is always in short supply here. After three months of trying, I gave up and ordered them at an importer in Uruguay.

The week before we traveled to MVD, my local dealer called me and offered me an unknown Chinese brand at double the cost of what I had reserved in MVD.

With the money we "saved" . We paid for our week in Punta!
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:44 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I'm interested in this thread as I'm in the planning stages for basically the same trip, in September 2024. Coming from Europe I have sketched out the following itinerary:
  • day 1: LON-MAD-MVD, arriving 0800 on day 2
  • day 2: early check-in, then see as much of Montevideo as jetlag will allow
  • day 3: full day in Montevideo
  • day 4: morning ferry to Buenos Aires, either Colonia Express or Buquebus, check in to hotel, see BA
  • day 5: full day in BA
  • day 6: fly AEP-IGR in the morning, check into the Gran Melia for 3 nights
  • day 7: full day at the falls, Argentinian side
  • day 8: falls from the Brazilian side, possibly Parque das Aves if time allows
  • day 9: fly IGR-AEP then onward to EZE/MVD and home
TravelDoorsOut likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
The last time I was in Uruguay, I spent a couple of nights in Colonia and stayed here. It was a great location, very comfortable, and the staff was excellent:

https://elcapullo.com/

Can I ask why you're keen on Montevideo? That's a very unusual choice for a first-time visitor to the region. I actually really love Montevideo (and personally, I prefer it to BsAs), but I realize that's very much a minority opinion. So I'm curious as to why you're making it such a big part of your trip.

Depending on what you want to do in BsAs, I would think 4 days would suffice - but what specifically are your interests? If you can tell more about what you're looking to get out of your trip, I'm happy to make more substantive recommendations, as I know both cities quite well. Are you looking for culture, fancy restaurants, shopping, just soaking up the vibe of the place...? Also, do you speak Spanish?
That is an excellent question! I love to travel and I truly want to experience most countries. If we are in BUE, why not check out a new country, new culture, new food, etc? When we travel I try to do whats in the area and accessible. As a family, we love soaking up the vibe of the place, local markets, local hole in the wall restaurants, new foods, culture, and some times a little shopping and luxury at the hotel. Would love recommendations!
Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsf
I'm interested in this thread as I'm in the planning stages for basically the same trip, in September 2024. Coming from Europe I have sketched out the following itinerary:
  • day 1: LON-MAD-MVD, arriving 0800 on day 2
  • day 2: early check-in, then see as much of Montevideo as jetlag will allow
  • day 3: full day in Montevideo
  • day 4: morning ferry to Buenos Aires, either Colonia Express or Buquebus, check in to hotel, see BA
  • day 5: full day in BA
  • day 6: fly AEP-IGR in the morning, check into the Gran Melia for 3 nights
  • day 7: full day at the falls, Argentinian side
  • day 8: falls from the Brazilian side, possibly Parque das Aves if time allows
  • day 9: fly IGR-AEP then onward to EZE/MVD and home
Sounds very similar indeed. Would love to bounce ideas. That seems like a long time at the Falls. I would assume BUE would have a lot more culture and novelty than the falls, but as someone said, it all depends what youre looking for.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Am I better off doing this:
Day 1: arrive in MVD
Day 2: MVD
Day 3: Driver to Colonia, day there, than ferry to BUE.
Day 4: BUE
Day 5: BUE
Day 6: BUE
Day 7: Flight to IGR
Day 8: IGR
Day 9: Fly home.

Or should I cut out day 8 and just spend 1 day at the IGR? Instead of getting a driver from MVD to Colonia, should we just take the ferry from MVD to BUE early AM, so we have a whole day in BUE, and use Colonia as a day trip from BUE? We would do MVD-BUE-Colonia-BUE-IGR-Home
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
That is an excellent question! I love to travel and I truly want to experience most countries. If we are in BUE, why not check out a new country, new culture, new food, etc? When we travel I try to do whats in the area and accessible. As a family, we love soaking up the vibe of the place, local markets, local hole in the wall restaurants, new foods, culture, and some times a little shopping and luxury at the hotel. Would love recommendations!
So I can give you my take on Uruguay/MVD, as a Spanish speaker. There's nothing outstanding to do or see there in the traditional touristy sense, but I just really enjoy *being* there.

When I go to MVD, this is my usual routine: stay at a hotel downtown, but not in the old town (I like the area near Plaza Cagancha). Spend my mornings wandering around the port area and the old city, popping into antique shops, grazing on empanadas at Carolina and sitting in cafes. There's also a plaza down there with a flea/antiques market (on the weekend, I think) that I like to explore.

After that, I like to make my way to the Ramblas and run/walk along the river toward Punta Carretas and points east. Maybe wander around the mall, grab a coffee somewhere, take the bus back. There are lots of cool bookstores that I love to check out, and I usually buy some books.

At night, I go out to eat, maybe get some wine. Hang out, relax, read... Nothing too crazy. I just find it a very pleasant place to relax and hang out, with no particular agenda.

On the more touristy side of things, you can take a tour of the parliament building (possibly in Spanish only). The botanic garden is lovely. Teatro Solís is fun and has a cool tour with people dressed up in old-timey costumes (again, maybe Spanish only). There are a couple of small, cool museums where you can spend maybe an hour. Nothing to travel around the world for, but pleasant for sure.

This may not at all be what you're looking for on your trip. BsAs is obviously much more of a big city, with lots more stuff to do and see and buy. But it's more high-stress, crowded, dirty, and chaotic. I like both but enjoy spending time more in MVD.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by malagajohn
I dont think the port has a left luggage place. It is certainly possible that either ferry company allows early bag check. I just don't know as when I go with bags I have the car and the bags are in the trunk.

the port is very quiet and my worry is if it would be safe...?

In January we left our luggage at Viaggio, well organized etc. Very close from the bus station and then to the port. Was a few dollar for 6 hrs.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
So I can give you my take on Uruguay/MVD, as a Spanish speaker. There's nothing outstanding to do or see there in the traditional touristy sense, but I just really enjoy *being* there.
Thank you, M60_to_LGA. You've summed up all the is wonderful about Montevideo and Uruguay. To your list, add the Mercado del Puerto, the old port building, now restored. Inside you'll find several great restaurants, mostly steak ones; street entertainers and artists hold court outside. It's just a great place to hang out and have lunch in the middle of the day.

What I like most about Uruguay is that it works, it functions well. It's everything that Argentina could be and should be, but I fear never will be. As you say, it's nothing you'd base a travel decision on, but I like and admire that about Uruguay. There was that disturbing period of the Dictadura, the military dictatorship that ruled from 1973 to 1985. It's estimated that 2 percent of Uruguay's population was jailed on political charges at some point during the 12 years. The Museo de la Memoria is dedicated to that troubled period.

It is nice to see an FT thread about Uruguay. After several trips, I can field questions about the other -GUAY country if they ever come up.
M60_to_LGA and TravelDoorsOut like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:13 pm

BA to Colonia

Ive read there are 3 ferries, but cant seem to find out from where they depart from in BA. We will be based at The Park Hyatt is it walkable to the ferries from there? We are thinking of doing a day trip and simply walking around and taking in whatever we could, either on a Mon or Sun is one day better then the other to do this?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by theroz
Ive read there are 3 ferries, but cant seem to find out from where they depart from in BA. We will be based at The Park Hyatt is it walkable to the ferries from there? We are thinking of doing a day trip and simply walking around and taking in whatever we could, either on a Mon or Sun is one day better then the other to do this?
Colonia Express is basically at the south end of Puerto Madero. Buquebus is near the north end of Puerto Madero.(maybe a half hour walk?)
wandering_fred likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Colonia Express is basically at the south end of Puerto Madero. Buquebus is near the north end of Puerto Madero.(maybe a half hour walk?)

thx, I guess it will now depend on what time we catch which ferry and if we have the time to walk there, hate to miss a the ferry due to walking too slow when a cab would havec gotten us there, been there and done that in the past and swore I wouldnt get caught again

would u suggest one company over the others and why? and I assume its best to buy 1 ways in case we miss 1 boat we wont hav eto wait around till that companys next boat, or are R/T tkts alot cheaper and worth buying?

Last edited by theroz; Aug 14, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by theroz
Depending on the day of the week and Colonia Exprss has 4/5 sailings in each direction
Buquebus has 3/4 sailings in each direction

Colonia Express is a sort of low cost operation but quite dependable - basically two vessels on the route , one with a car deck and one without

Buquebus has a two or three class operation - more personal space in business calss and first class, for example.- A free glass of chanpagne is the only other benefit - I tend to tarvel in Businbess class as It allows me more room to work in.

Both companies will add services in Januray and February to meet local demand
Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
Am I better off doing this:
Day 1: arrive in MVD
Day 2: MVD
Day 3: Driver to Colonia, day there, than ferry to BUE.
Day 4: BUE
Day 5: BUE
Day 6: BUE
Day 7: Flight to IGR
Day 8: IGR
Day 9: Fly home.

Or should I cut out day 8 and just spend 1 day at the IGR? Instead of getting a driver from MVD to Colonia, should we just take the ferry from MVD to BUE early AM, so we have a whole day in BUE, and use Colonia as a day trip from BUE? We would do MVD-BUE-Colonia-BUE-IGR-Home
bumpies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.