Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Argentina/Uruguay planning help

Argentina/Uruguay planning help

Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
If we are flying out of IGR home it is a lot more expensive... but IGU is cheaper. Do we need to jump through all the visa hoops to fly out of IGU in Brazil if we are US citizens?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Some more thoughts: if you go to Colonia, keep in mind that you can see the historic sights in about an hour or two. It's a very small town. It's fun to climb the lighthouse, and there are some nice restaurants and shops, but that's about it. Unless you're there in peak season, it can be very sleepy.

In BA, the last time I went I stayed at the NH 9 de Julio and was very happy. Comfortable and quiet, great location. I'd recommend staying either in that area (northern part of 9 de Julio/Recoleta) or else out in Palermo Soho or Hollywood. The former for a very central location, the latter for a trendy neighborhood filled with nice restaurants, bars, and shopping. Keep in mind that Palermo is a bit removed from downtown/San Telmo, so you'd likely be taking the Subte (subway) or buses a fair bit.

Also, while the Subte is very easy to use, it stops running weirdly early at night (around 11pm, I think). Buses go later, but there's no user-friendly guide to the route network, so you'll likely have to ask the drivers/fellow passengers which bus to take to your destination. Easy enough if you speak Spanish, maybe not so easy otherwise.
bitterproffit likes this.

Last edited by M60_to_LGA; Aug 15, 2023 at 8:03 am
Old Aug 15, 2023, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by theroz
thx, I guess it will now depend on what time we catch which ferry and if we have the time to walk there, hate to miss a the ferry due to walking too slow when a cab would havec gotten us there, been there and done that in the past and swore I wouldnt get caught again

would u suggest one company over the others and why? and I assume its best to buy 1 ways in case we miss 1 boat we wont hav eto wait around till that companys next boat, or are R/T tkts alot cheaper and worth buying?
Just note that it isn't like running to a regular commuter-type ferry. It is more like an airport situation, with (depending on what you have) baggage check, international formalities, etc. Buquebus (Business/First) is a timesaver in this regard. I can't speak for Colonia Express. So, plan on being at the terminal early, and if your taxi is slow, you'll still be there in time.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
One-hour check-in is recommended but remember you have to do immigration as well. Depending on how busy the ferries are that can be 5 minutes or 55 minutes. It's impossible to predict

If you are traveling Business class with Buquebus, expect anything from a 2 to 10-minute wait for check in . Tourist class anything from 10 - 20 minutes
ecgz88 and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by malagajohn; Aug 15, 2023 at 12:49 pm
Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just note that it isn't like running to a regular commuter-type ferry. It is more like an airport situation, with (depending on what you have) baggage check, international formalities, etc. Buquebus (Business/First) is a timesaver in this regard. I can't speak for Colonia Express. So, plan on being at the terminal early, and if your taxi is slow, you'll still be there in time.
We will be only going for a day trip (not overnight) so we wont be taking anything other then ourselves
Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn
One-hour check-in is recommended but remember you have to do immigration as well. Depending on how busy the ferries are that can be 5 minutes or 55 minutes. It's impossible to predict

If you are traveling Business class with Buquebus, expect anything from a 2 to 10-minute wait for check in . Tourist class anything from 10 - 20 minutes
was thinking apx 1 hr before thusly the 10:30am Out and thought the 6PM back but after M60s last post above and remembering it gets dark earlier then here on The EC, the 4:30 back as the latest.

If we buy R/T tkts and decide to catch a boat before 4:30 will they let us do it if we brought the 4:30 boat?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:56 pm

was thinking apx 1 hr before thusly the 10:30am Out and thought the 6PM back but after M60s last post above and remembering it gets dark earlier then here on The EC, the 4:30 back as the latest.

If we buy R/T tkts and decide to catch a boat before 4:30 will they let us do it if we brought the 4:30 boat?
What month do you plan to travel?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 3:01 pm

What month do you plan to travel?

to Colonia either Sun 9/3 or Mon 9/4, we will be in BA Thurs 8/31 - Tues 9/5 arriving at night deoparting at night
Old Aug 15, 2023, 3:02 pm

Both Buquebus and Colonia Express have different fare rules according to the ticket you buy.

In general terms the more expensive fares are fully flexible - some of the mid range ones as weel depending on the one you pucthase

the cheap fares are not changeable but sometimes you can.....
Old Aug 15, 2023, 3:05 pm

Both Buquebus and Colonia Express have different fare rules according to the ticket you buy.

In general terms the more expensive fares are fully flexible - some of the mid range ones as weel depending on the one you pucthase

I will look into both later today, if the fully flex are alot more then we will go with the cheaper and simply enjoy the extra time over there, since there wont be anything on our plans when we get back. Since its like an hours ride we have no need for biz or 1st seating. Heck in HKG we noamally sat on the lower deck with the locals and found it alot more enjoyable and interesting then the upper deck'

GOL tried selling me extra leg room seats GRU-IGU but I took 2 aisles across from each other hoping we can raise teh arm rests once in the air, again a short flight no need for the extra room
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I will look into both later today, if the fully flex are alot more then we will go with the cheaper and simply enjoy the extra time over there, since there wont be anything on our plans when we get back. Since its like an hours ride we have no need for biz or 1st seating. Heck in HKG we noamally sat on the lower deck with the locals and found it alot more enjoyable and interesting then the upper deck'

GOL tried selling me extra leg room seats GRU-IGU but I took 2 aisles across from each other hoping we can raise teh arm rests once in the air, again a short flight no need for the extra room
Having both "ferried" in Clase Basura and also Business on the Buquebus, the biggest difference was in the check-in waits. For an hour ride, the seats aren't that big of a deal, but the odds of not all sitting together on a crowded ferry is a real possibility if you are later in boarding.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:36 pm

to Colonia either Sun 9/3 or Mon 9/4, we will be in BA Thurs 8/31 - Tues 9/5 arriving at night deoparting at night
In early September nightfall is around 18.45 / 19.00 - Depending on the weather twilight may extend until 19.30.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
If we are flying out of IGR home it is a lot more expensive... but IGU is cheaper. Do we need to jump through all the visa hoops to fly out of IGU in Brazil if we are US citizens?
what should i do with this? how difficult is visa? do i need one to fly out?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
what should i do with this? how difficult is visa? do i need one to fly out?

You wont need a VISA if you are traveling before 10/1, if after then its $160 per person but there were posts where people got around it but I think they were doing a RT and not a one way.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:21 pm

It seems theres a 3rd choice Seacat which is owned by Buque, but its website wont open for me here in the US. Also you have to go to their office to buy the tkts, would lov eto know what times they go to/from and the cost for 9/3

Was able to get a price only RT on Buque, ideally Id like to take Coloinas 10:30 from BA and Buques 17:01 back just cant find a way to buy that online, if I take Buques 12:30 out that will leave me with just 2 hrs to walk around and Id prefer to have longer then that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.