Search

First time to Buenos Aires. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
First time to Buenos Aires. Advice?

I'm thinking of spending a couple of days in Buenos Aires later this year. Is public transit reliable, or should I hire a taxi/Uber to go from the airport to the hotel? What's the entry requirement right now? I'm fully vaccinated and recently got my booster. I hope I won't have to take a rapid test to enter the country.

I checked on Hyatt.com, and it seems like only a Park Hyatt is available, but it's really expensive for the dates I have in mind. Are any of the Hilton and Marriott options decent enough? Good elite recognition?

Is it possible to be largely cashless? I want to buy as few pesos as possible.

Thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm thinking of spending a couple of days in Buenos Aires later this year. Is public transit reliable, or should I hire a taxi/Uber to go from the airport to the hotel? What's the entry requirement right now? I'm fully vaccinated and recently got my booster. I hope I won't have to take a rapid test to enter the country.

I checked on Hyatt.com, and it seems like only a Park Hyatt is available, but it's really expensive for the dates I have in mind. Are any of the Hilton and Marriott options decent enough? Good elite recognition?

Thank you.
You will pay double or close to it if you don't exchange $ in the "blue" market, and that includes your credit/debit card purchases, and don't be surprised if a number of establishments "temporarily" can't take cards.

The Subte (underground) is pretty reliable. You'll need to buy a SUBE card (available at the airport and at many places in the City). I'd avoid the buses, unless you know exactly where you are and where you want to go on the bus. It can end up quite confusing, and it will be very easy to miss your stop.

As we sit here today, I think the only things you need to do for entry is a sworn declaration form and proof of insurance that will cover COVID expenses. At the time of your potential travel, who knows.

I've not stayed at a hotel since 2009 or so, I've got no valuable input in that regard, not that any of my advice is really ever that valuable
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Do you speak Spanish? Have you traveled in Latin America before?

Public transportation in BA is quite comprehensive, but it's mostly bus-based. The subte (subway) system is relatively small and doesn't go directly to many of the places you're likely to want to go (for example, it goes to the very northernmost part of the Palermo neighborhood, leaving you to walk maybe 15-20 minutes to get to the heart of the Palermo Soho or Hollywood areas; the subte doesn't go to La Boca at all, so you'll need to take a bus if you want to go there...) Also, the subte shuts down weirdly early at night, although buses run far later.

If you speak Spanish and are willing to ask locals how to get around, the buses are fine. They're not luxury by any means, but they're in decent condition and most of the routes run pretty frequently. You'll need to buy a SUBE card, which you can do at a machine in EZE as well as other locations, and you can add value at the machine where you buy it as well as in subte stations and in most "kioscos" (the little convenience store-type places you'll see all over the place); most of them will have a sticker showing the SUBE logo and either will have a machine to add value or will do it manually for you at the cash register.

That being said, there is all of one bus route that goes from EZE to the city - the #8. There are two varieties - an express and a local, which takes about two hours to Plaza de Mayo and takes you on a very long journey through some not-terribly-attractive working-class towns of Provincia de Buenos Aires. If I remember correctly, the local buses come every 20-30 minutes; I'm not sure about the express ones, as I've never taken them.

If you're flying in/out of AEP, by contrast, there are a bunch of buses that pass directly in front of the terminal building and will take you downtown in maybe 15 minutes, or to the ritzy parts of Palermo in about the same amount of time. AEP is a dream for transit.

If you're arriving at EZE and don't want to deal with the hassle of the bus, Miguel Tienda León has buses that take travelers directly to their hotels at a reasonable price point that will save you some cash on a taxi.

I believe Argentina removed entry restrictions for vaccinated travelers, but it's always best to check official sources for that information.

It's possible to be mostly cashless, but you'll get a much better rate if you convert USD to pesos at the unofficial, blue rate. There are explanations of how that system works here on FT, but from what I've read on other FT threads and also heard from a friend who went down last month, you can send dollars to yourself via Western Union and then withdraw that money in Argentina in pesos at something approximating the more advantageous rate. Another reason to have some cash is that you'll need it for public transportation (I don't recall the SUBE machines or the subte stations taking cards) and for anything you might buy from a street vendor, kiosco, etc. And I don't think too many taxis take cards - at least not in my experience.

I can't speak to what's up with Hyatt, but the last time I was there I stayed at the NH 9 de Julio. It was a very nice hotel, and I'd highly recommend it. I think I paid about $80-ish a night or something, but that was in 2019.
Flying Machine and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You will pay double or close to it if you don't exchange $ in the "blue" market, and that includes your credit/debit card purchases, and don't be surprised if a number of establishments "temporarily" can't take cards.

The Subte (underground) is pretty reliable. You'll need to buy a SUBE card (available at the airport and at many places in the City). I'd avoid the buses, unless you know exactly where you are and where you want to go on the bus. It can end up quite confusing, and it will be very easy to miss your stop.

As we sit here today, I think the only things you need to do for entry is a sworn declaration form and proof of insurance that will cover COVID expenses. At the time of your potential travel, who knows.

I've not stayed at a hotel since 2009 or so, I've got no valuable input in that regard, not that any of my advice is really ever that valuable
Is there a minimum for insurance coverage to enter? Will immigration even check? I think Singapore requires S$30,000 of coverage, but I don't know if things have changed.

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Do you speak Spanish? Have you traveled in Latin America before?

Public transportation in BA is quite comprehensive, but it's mostly bus-based. The subte (subway) system is relatively small and doesn't go directly to many of the places you're likely to want to go (for example, it goes to the very northernmost part of the Palermo neighborhood, leaving you to walk maybe 15-20 minutes to get to the heart of the Palermo Soho or Hollywood areas; the subte doesn't go to La Boca at all, so you'll need to take a bus if you want to go there...) Also, the subte shuts down weirdly early at night, although buses run far later.

If you speak Spanish and are willing to ask locals how to get around, the buses are fine. They're not luxury by any means, but they're in decent condition and most of the routes run pretty frequently. You'll need to buy a SUBE card, which you can do at a machine in EZE as well as other locations, and you can add value at the machine where you buy it as well as in subte stations and in most "kioscos" (the little convenience store-type places you'll see all over the place); most of them will have a sticker showing the SUBE logo and either will have a machine to add value or will do it manually for you at the cash register.

That being said, there is all of one bus route that goes from EZE to the city - the #8. There are two varieties - an express and a local, which takes about two hours to Plaza de Mayo and takes you on a very long journey through some not-terribly-attractive working-class towns of Provincia de Buenos Aires. If I remember correctly, the local buses come every 20-30 minutes; I'm not sure about the express ones, as I've never taken them.

If you're flying in/out of AEP, by contrast, there are a bunch of buses that pass directly in front of the terminal building and will take you downtown in maybe 15 minutes, or to the ritzy parts of Palermo in about the same amount of time. AEP is a dream for transit.

If you're arriving at EZE and don't want to deal with the hassle of the bus, Miguel Tienda León has buses that take travelers directly to their hotels at a reasonable price point that will save you some cash on a taxi.

I believe Argentina removed entry restrictions for vaccinated travelers, but it's always best to check official sources for that information.

It's possible to be mostly cashless, but you'll get a much better rate if you convert USD to pesos at the unofficial, blue rate. There are explanations of how that system works here on FT, but from what I've read on other FT threads and also heard from a friend who went down last month, you can send dollars to yourself via Western Union and then withdraw that money in Argentina in pesos at something approximating the more advantageous rate. Another reason to have some cash is that you'll need it for public transportation (I don't recall the SUBE machines or the subte stations taking cards) and for anything you might buy from a street vendor, kiosco, etc. And I don't think too many taxis take cards - at least not in my experience.

I can't speak to what's up with Hyatt, but the last time I was there I stayed at the NH 9 de Julio. It was a very nice hotel, and I'd highly recommend it. I think I paid about $80-ish a night or something, but that was in 2019.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by lsquare

Thank you.
Thanks for inquiring, however you’ve cross posted in two different threads. I just replied to the original and stumbled upon this one. Perhaps, Moderator will consolidate

Found this from another moderator in another thread so you’ll understand. Gaucho 100 K is the moderator to this Argentina thread but however he hasn’t been that active here for some time, just Sporadically., hope all is well with him

Cross-posting is not allowed on FlyerTalk, and we are asked to create informative, specific thread titles.

Please follow your query in the other thread related to this issue.

Thank you,

JDiver

Last edited by Flying Machine; Apr 24, 2022 at 6:27 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
The Park Hyatt is probably the most expensive of the chain hotels in Bs As.but it's probably worth it.

The Hilton is located in Puerto Madero and is more reasonably priced but it depends on your dates.

the Marriott is fairly new and opened during the pandemic - I have still to visit it
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:11 pm

I honestly wouldn't stay in Puerto Madero. It's a business district located nowhere near anything, and to get in/out on foot you have to walk across train tracks and cross very broad and busy roads, which is extremely unpleasant due to all the traffic and the fact that locals drive like maniacs.

For a first-timer I'd recommend staying either in Recoleta or on/by the north end of 9 de Julio, or else for a quieter, more neighborhood feel stay somewhere in Palermo.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I honestly wouldn't stay in Puerto Madero. It's a business district located nowhere near anything, and to get in/out on foot you have to walk across train tracks and cross very broad and busy roads, which is extremely unpleasant due to all the traffic and the fact that locals drive like maniacs.

For a first-timer I'd recommend staying either in Recoleta or on/by the north end of 9 de Julio, or else for a quieter, more neighborhood feel stay somewhere in Palermo.
Since the Paseo del Bajo opened, crossing to/from Pto Madero is much less unpleasant. The Hilton is not a bad option if the price is right.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by malagajohn
The Park Hyatt is probably the most expensive of the chain hotels in Bs As.but it's probably worth it.

The Hilton is located in Puerto Madero and is more reasonably priced but it depends on your dates.

the Marriott is fairly new and opened during the pandemic - I have still to visit it
Of the big brand hotels in the centre I like the Intercontinental's location, and I find its rather old-fashioned formality quite comforting. The rates can be comfortable, too.

The Hilton is one of those fur coat and no knickers hotels: impressive lobby but dowdy rooms seriously in need of a refurb. Its price is supported by the brand rather than quality.

Friends swear by apartment rentals for stays of longer than a few days.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:36 am

Cash is better

I’m currently in BsAs, my second visit since December. Cash is king. You will get nearly 200 pesos per US dollar. Your hotel will help you find a reputable place to exchange money. Our dinner last night at a very nice restaurant was about $8,000 pesos. $40 dollars at blue rate; $80 with credit card. I have stayed at Sheraton and Sheraton Park Tower and Intercontinental. All are recommended. Not as fancy as Park Hyatt, but quite nice and much more reasonable. Using the blue rate for hotels is a bit tricky. It will cost you half as much if you pay in cash. But you will have to pay 21% extra in taxes for a cash payment. If you pay with a foreign credit card you avoid the tax. Overall much cheaper with cash. Taxis are cheap, but sometimes harder to come by. Uber is available as is Cabify. You can download the app and pay with a credit card or in cash. I never had a problem entering Argentina with my Covid insurance. I kept a copy of my travel insurance which included Covid, but I was never asked about it. Coming from the main airport I have always used taxiEZE to get into town. They have a kiosk just as you exit immigration. You pay at the kiosk and a private driver will take you to your destination. I just checked the website and the price is 3600 pesos. $18 or $36 depending upon how are you bought your pesos. I’m pretty sure you can pay with credit card but you will pay at the official rate. Feel free to direct message me, I will be in Argentina for another month.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:09 am

Since the Paseo del Bajo opened, crossing to/from Pto Madero is much less unpleasant. The Hilton is not a bad option if the price is right.
Good to know, thanks. I still don't much like Puerto Madero - it's fine if you're going to be spending your time working in a nearby office tower, but if you want to stroll and enjoy the city, it's not really the place for that.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Good to know, thanks. I still don't much like Puerto Madero - it's fine if you're going to be spending your time working in a nearby office tower, but if you want to stroll and enjoy the city, it's not really the place for that.
Totally agree, I prefer to stay in an apartment in the Palermo Viejo area which is more neighborhood like, central to most of the city, and has access to excellent transportation along with lots of small shops and restaurants, you totally live like a local

However, in Puerto Madero a walk along the Costanera Norte, stoping for a Chori makes a nice afternoon

Last edited by Flying Machine; Apr 25, 2022 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Totally agree, I prefer to stay in an apartment in the Palermo Viejo area which is more neighborhood like, central to most of the city, and has access to excellent transportation along with lots of small shops and restaurants, you totally live like a local

However, in Puerto Madero a walk along the Costanera Norte, stoping for a Chori makes a nice afternoon
I prefer to stay in San Telmo
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:02 pm

I prefer to stay in San Telmo
I go down there regularly for an asado at my friends home and Terrace on the top of his building
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I go down there regularly for an asado at my friends home and Terrace on the top of his building
Is your friend from Illinois, by chance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.