Search

First time to Buenos Aires. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Perhaps, once you buy your first ticket to Buenos Aires and spend time there you’ll be able to figure out what to do the next trip regarding MVD. All this pro forma circling around is hard for me to comment on.

I’m actually waiting for the next post “oh I’ve changed my mind and now I’m going to the EU instead”
I am actually going to be in the EU this summer. lol! No one is forcing you to respond to this thread. I don't understand your attention-seeking antics.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by lsquare
I am actually going to be in the EU this summer. lol! No one is forcing you to respond to this thread. I don't understand your attention-seeking antics.
Check my long-term history in the Buenos Aires thread. No one is seeking attention. Let’s get back to travel.
malagajohn likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Tanic likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:34 pm

I checked on Hyatt.com, and it seems like only a Park Hyatt is available, but it's really expensive for the dates I have in mind. Are any of the Hilton and Marriott options decent enough? Good elite recognition?

Thank you.
We stayed in the Hilton Anselmo a couple years ago. It's a really nice smaller place. I loved the neighborhood! Definitely recommend it! We also stayed one night at the Intercontinental at the end, and while it is a perfectly fine big fancy hotel, we had a lot more fun at the Anselmo.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physics
We stayed in the Hilton Anselmo a couple years ago. It's a really nice smaller place. I loved the neighborhood! Definitely recommend it! We also stayed one night at the Intercontinental at the end, and while it is a perfectly fine big fancy hotel, we had a lot more fun at the Anselmo.
Thank you! What was the elite recognition like? What was the breakfast like?

-------------------------------------------------

It seems like there are some doubters here, but I just finished booking two fares to Buenos Aires. It'll be back-to-back trips as I have some stuff to take care of in the US. On the bright side, I'll inch closer to achieving UA Premier 1K status.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by physics
My place is a short walk from there. I don't disagree . Were you by chance there on a Sunday? I'm curious if there is any vehicle access to the property while the weekly feria takes place.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My place is a short walk from there. I don't disagree . Were you by chance there on a Sunday? I'm curious if there is any vehicle access to the property while the weekly feria takes place.
There was no direct access, but I think it would be no great problem to arrange a pick-up/drop-off from adjoining streets.

That was pre-Covid.

The only downside to the place for me was noise from adjoining rooms. Subjective and maybe specific to those stays, but I haven't been back.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Apr 29, 2022 at 4:00 am
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-------------------------------------------------

It seems like there are some doubters here, but I just finished booking two fares to Buenos Aires. It'll be back-to-back trips as I have some stuff to take care of in the US. On the bright side, I'll inch closer to achieving UA Premier 1K status.

I'm not sure about "doubters": I think the gentle suggestion was you might hone your searching skills. The Hilton forum has plenty about the Anselmo.

Anselmo Buenos Aires, Curio Collection by Hilton {ARG}
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm not sure about "doubters": I think the gentle suggestion was you might hone your searching skills. The Hilton forum has plenty about the Anselmo.

Anselmo Buenos Aires, Curio Collection by Hilton {ARG}
We need something to talk about during COVID, right?

Btw, you asked earlier, but I intend to finalize my Dubai plans very soon.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We need something to talk about during COVID, right?
I reckon the Hilton forum might be a better place to find information and ask for updates on more recent stays a a Hilton hotel: it certainly attracts a more significant share of Hilton guest-experience than here.

For horse's mouth advice on the current situation [email protected] and +54 11 4834 3200 might help.
Flying Machine and lsquare like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 10:10 pm

I liked the breakfast (included for everyone, not just elites when I was there). Not huge, but a nice small-medium buffet. A nice little start. They gave me a nice bottle of wine and some fruit as a gold. We were there in winter, so there weren't a lot of guests so we didn't notice any inter-room noise. If arriving on a Sunday, access would probably be limited and you'd have to walk a block or two.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
When the antique fair is on Sundays taxi drivers are permitted to reach the hotel. But many don't like doing it, as barriers have to be moved and permission sought from local traffic police.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
ARS and USD Confusion

Not trying to hijack this Hilton vs Anselmo discussion, but I am still a bit confused about paying. I posed this question on the next thread “To Pre-Pay or Not?” and got lots of nice anecdotes but no definitive answer. It seems that Argentine hotel prices in the tens of thousands (ARS) are confusing to some non-Argentine posters…

When I Google Hotel Anselmo Buenos Aires a very nice website comes up from the hotel, in Spanish, with lots of beautiful photos – but no prices. When I hit “Reservar” it moves me over to the Hilton.com site, which gives prices in USD.

Now, if I want to pay in pesos, at the end of my stay in Buenos Aires (not pre-pay), does that USD price translate at the official, Banco de la Nación rate? OR do I have to pay with a credit card which will be charged in USD?

One poster, M60_to_LGA kindly referenced this article (but from 2020)

https://www.primeraedicion.com.ar/no...-restaurantes/

that clearly says that for a business to insist on receiving USD for a product or service rendered in Argentina is illegal. But if I read correctly, a hotel can quote a price in USD and then receive payment in ARS.

I do understand that the hotel’s “official” rate might be somewhat lower than the Banco de Nación official rate, but that would not wipe out the advantage of paying in blue pesos.

Bottom line: If I agree when I reserve to pay XX USD for a hotel room, am I always able to get that translated to ARS at the official (not blue) rate?

I do understand that the hotel’s rate might be somewhat lower than the official rate, but that would not wipe out the advantage of paying in pesos bought on the blue market.

Muchas gracias!

Old May 2, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
For all hotel transactions, dollar rates are converted at the official rate.

Everyone, including tourists, can pay in pesos if they so wish. When you check-in , just say I will settle at the end of my stay in cash

If you pay with an overseas credit card, you will be charged in USD with the VAT deducted - they will take a copy of your passport along with a copy of the entry stamp.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spainflyer

Now, if I want to pay in pesos, at the end of my stay in Buenos Aires (not pre-pay), does that USD price translate at the official, Banco de la Nación rate?
YES

Originally Posted by spainflyer

do I have to pay with a credit card which will be charged in USD?
You can pay in pesos or dollars. The choice is yours. The rate the hotel uses to switch between the two currencies will be the official one.

If you choose to pay in pesos, it's no-one's business but your own how you acquired them: you are paying in pesos, not blue-pesos.
Flying Machine and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.