Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Colonia Express - any recent experiences here?

Colonia Express - any recent experiences here?

Old Oct 29, 18, 9:30 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,587
Colonia Express - any recent experiences here?

Any recent experiences w/ Colonia Express boats? How are the boats? (Travel time shows 1:15.) How much anticipation time in both ports prior to embarkation? It looks like they are single class w/no expedited / comfort seating (which was handy on the Buquebus for later port arrival time).

(For those unfamiliar with the current state of affairs, Colonia Express is located at the far southern end of Puerto Madero, near the casino, and is a short walk from San Telmo. Buquebus is located essentially on the northern end, around a huge construction mess for the next year-plus, until the new truck bypass highway is completed.)
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 4,107
From about a year ago I noticed one on arrival in Colonia. Somewhat on the smaller side (think smaller then sea cat) and pretty old looking to the eye..
Flying Machine is offline  
Old Oct 30, 18, 10:51 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 390
I have used Colonia Express twice this year - they have two vessels at the moment . A third was coming on stream but i hear it has been put back because passenger numbers have fallen in line with the Arg economy.

The oldest boat is on the midday service ( 12.30 /) . pretty basic boat with ok seats - there is no car deck on this one . Limited snack facilities with a small duty free shop

THe other two services ( 08.15 and 18.15 ) use a bigger boat with facilities for the car . This boat is newer and has better facilities . Bigger bar and a bigger duty free shop...

Prices still tend to be better than Buquebus unless its a holiday weeeknd , Seacat however is still offering good prices on the Buquebus boats and sometimes is close to Colonia express on pricing.
Eastbay1K likes this.
malagajohn is offline  
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Posts: 2,857
Good thinking - we did Buquebus in September and it was fairly easy getting there in the morning.
However, the return to Puerto Madero in the afternoon at rush hour was quite a nightmare.
Ended being a lot simpler to walk up Cordoba until there was a suitable break in traffic (i.e., where cars finally started moving faster than pedestrians) before hailing a taxi.
OskiBear is online now  
Old Oct 31, 18, 8:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buenos Aires
Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Posts: 536
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
(For those unfamiliar with the current state of affairs, Colonia Express is located at the far southern end of Puerto Madero, near the casino, and is a short walk from San Telmo. Buquebus is located essentially on the northern end, around a huge construction mess for the next year-plus, until the new truck bypass highway is completed.)
Certainly off-topic, but the Paseo del Bajo, the bypass highway currently being built under Puerto Madero, is due to be inaugurated ca. April 2019, so it's just a few more months of patience. I trust the inauguration deadline -- there are elections in mid 2019 and you bet the mayor wants his landmark highway to be fully operative before people go to the polls
Marambio is offline  
Old Oct 31, 18, 8:51 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 390
Originally Posted by Marambio View Post
Certainly off-topic, but the Paseo del Bajo, the bypass highway currently being built under Puerto Madero, is due to be inaugurated ca. April 2019, so it's just a few more months of patience. I trust the inauguration deadline -- there are elections in mid 2019 and you bet the mayor wants his landmark highway to be fully operative before people go to the polls
Not really off topic . The infrastructure project can cause major delays at certain times of day - new travelers to these services need to be made aware . Affects Buquebus more than Colonia Express . Traffic at Colonia Express can also be pretty awful from mid afternoon to early evening . Its always diffcult to get a taxi there when you disembark.

A bit easier at Buquebus although I dont trust half of the drivers who wait outside...

For several years I have been doing the same as OskiBear . Quiet stroll over to Cordoba and plentY of normal radiotaxis are available.
malagajohn is offline  
Old Oct 31, 18, 10:38 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,587
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
Not really off topic . The infrastructure project can cause major delays at certain times of day - new travelers to these services need to be made aware . Affects Buquebus more than Colonia Express . Traffic at Colonia Express can also be pretty awful from mid afternoon to early evening . Its always diffcult to get a taxi there when you disembark.

A bit easier at Buquebus although I dont trust half of the drivers who wait outside...

For several years I have been doing the same as OskiBear . Quiet stroll over to Cordoba and plentY of normal radiotaxis are available.
Which half of the drivers don't you trust?

As I can walk to/from Colonia Express, it does seem to make the most sense. As far as getting across town on the "bajo" side, I've been taking the 152. The Metrobus del Bajo is faster than taking a taxi.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Oct 31, 18, 11:29 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 390
[QUOTE=Eastbay1K;30377440]Which half of the drivers don't you trust?


Mainly the pirates that "attack"you when you leave Customs.....
malagajohn is offline  
Old Nov 21, 18, 11:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 47
I just met a guy on my Antarctica cruise who took the ferry over to Colonia from BsAs ~2 weeks ago (I forget which company). He had intended to do a day trip, but was forced to spend the night in Colonia because the waves were too big for the older boat to handle and the return ferry was canceled. He said one of the larger, new boats did go back but he missed that departure for the day.
EmpressRouge is offline  
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 390
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I just met a guy on my Antarctica cruise who took the ferry over to Colonia from BsAs ~2 weeks ago (I forget which company). He had intended to do a day trip, but was forced to spend the night in Colonia because the waves were too big for the older boat to handle and the return ferry was canceled. He said one of the larger, new boats did go back but he missed that departure for the day.
Nomally the captains are quite cautious

the Francisco the newish ferry that does the Bs As - MVD crossing suffered quite a bit of damage when it tried to tie up in MVD during a storm about 2/3 years ago . Since then they have added 10/15 minutes to the journey time ...
malagajohn is offline  
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Any recent experiences w/ Colonia Express boats? How are the boats? (Travel time shows 1:15.) How much anticipation time in both ports prior to embarkation? It looks like they are single class w/no expedited / comfort seating (which was handy on the Buquebus for later port arrival time).

(For those unfamiliar with the current state of affairs, Colonia Express is located at the far southern end of Puerto Madero, near the casino, and is a short walk from San Telmo. Buquebus is located essentially on the northern end, around a huge construction mess for the next year-plus, until the new truck bypass highway is completed.)
I recently took Colonia Express from Colonia to BA one way. I arrived 1.5 hour early as per stated on the ticket purchase page. It turns out I do not need to arrive too early. 45 min should be enough. Just that need to clear both immigration (for foreigner neither Argentina nor Uruguay citizen). Carry own luggage up the boat. The boat is average, some seats are not functioning. Still comfort to me, since it is just 1 hour plus. Yes, it looks like a single class seating.
ShenW is offline  
Old Jan 20, 19, 2:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 85
Took Colonia Express earlier this month, we were told to check in at the terminal in BsAs 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

It was easy to check in with the self service kiosks (similar to what they have at some airports.)

It seemed like there was only one class of service, it was no frills and on time.

P.S. fares for Colonia Express and Buquebus ferries are lower on the Uruguay side of the websites.
Flying Machine likes this.
babiemindy is offline  
Old Jan 20, 19, 3:09 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,587
Originally Posted by babiemindy View Post
Took Colonia Express earlier this month, we were told to check in at the terminal in BsAs 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

It was easy to check in with the self service kiosks (similar to what they have at some airports.)

It seemed like there was only one class of service, it was no frills and on time.

P.S. fares for Colonia Express and Buquebus ferries are lower on the Uruguay side of the websites.
Thank you for the update. ( We ended up not going to Colonia on the recent visit.)
Eastbay1K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread