Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Customs At AEP

Customs At AEP

Old Jan 26, 19, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Customs At AEP

I fly into Argentina pretty frequently but itís usually through EZE.

This week will be the first time I ever fly into AEP in an international flight (From US, layover in Paraguay prior to AEP arrival).

I am specifically wondering about the customs process at AEP. Is it the same as EZE? More lax? More strict?

At EZE I go to the Ďforeignersí section, I generally have nothing to declare so I go down that route, put my bags and equipment in an X Ray machine and then be on my marry way.
I do a lot of business travel so I have my equipment with me, and I always fear customs will be strict on me. Iíve heard some nightmare stories before. But itís never been an issue at EZE, Iím wondering if AEP is about the same or if someone can explain the customs process there?
Old Jan 26, 19, 12:07 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
in general terms AEP is much more lax than EZE . But as ever there is always a chance you get a nasty Customs guy looking to get his monthly bonus...

AEP is much smaller than EZE and there is only two scanners i think

I cleared customs twice in AEP last year coming form Brazil but starting off in europe - The Customs guys could see clearly my routing on my luggage tags.

Although I speak Spanish fluently I always " struggle" going though Customs and have my UK passport in my hand . Never had any problems . once my bags were Xrayed and the other time I was sent down the side corridor and throught the exit door.
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:47 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I dont think you will have any issues..... the limits on personal electronic items have been relaxed so even if you have 2 cellphones, a tablet and a laptop you will still be OK in terms of your personal allowance.

Customs is after the "locals" and specifically, they look for commercial scale electronics.... I just returned from Miami Shopping with the Family and we had checked in 8 (eight) bags. We threw all our stuff into the scanners and didnt even get a blink from the 2 Customs people that were looking.... and this was at EZE, which as noted above, is a lot more "strict" than AEP.

You will be fine.
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you! Did you have go through body xrays or only luggage x-rays
Old Jan 29, 19, 10:02 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Originally Posted by Agoodwin430 View Post
What exactly are you transporting that would have you worried about a body xrayÖ..???????
Marambio likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Agoodwin430 View Post
Whenever you enter any country, including and especially your own, you should expect that you are subject to inspection of everything, including your physical person, even if it isn't through a device that plugs into a wall. You should also expect that you and your luggage will have been sniffed by canine devices, both before (with respect to luggage), and sometimes, in your presence. (S)he is the fool who travels not expecting these possibilities, notwithstanding the odds posted on an IBB.

The Argentine canine authorities are particularly adept at the scent of US$ cash.
malagajohn likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post

Although I speak Spanish fluently I always " struggle" going though Customs and have my UK passport in my hand . Never had any problems . once my bags were Xrayed and the other time I was sent down the side corridor and throught the exit door.
Looking gleakit comes easy to me.

As long as you're not carrying anything illegal I wouldn't worry too much. In my experience it's tea leaves sold in the UK the customs people are desperate to get their hands on....
malagajohn likes this.