Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You guys have gotta face facts.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2001, 4:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bers:
Then again, to suggest it was the only reason for AN's demise is nonsense. However, I don't believe anything in sendosian's post suggested that.</font>
You missed the bit where he said "The main reason AN is in this mess is that very fact - Peter Abeles mixed Airbus and Boeing fleets"

Dave
Old Sep 26, 2001, 9:54 pm

Programs: QF Plat QC Life Member; AA Plat; EK Silv; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Sirius (Jumeirah) Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
You missed the bit where he said "The main reason AN is in this mess is that very fact - Peter Abeles mixed Airbus and Boeing fleets"</font>
Yep - fair enough! It is a big reason that Ansett is in this mess. To suggest it is either the only or the main reason is nonsense.

Old Sep 27, 2001, 8:43 am
Original Poster

bers,

You are welcome to my points !!! if you can access 'em.

This AN Mark II won't last and the taxpayer will be $25M up the spout.

I see you're from Perth, If G.Wing PER ever re-opens we'll have a piss-up and I'll sign all my points over to you.

You're dreamin' baby !!!

PS E-Mail me if you're interested in meeting other Perth aviation enthusiasts, we're having a get together this Sat night.

That applies to any other Perth based Flyer-Talkers.

[email protected]
Old Oct 2, 2001, 6:38 am

AN - 5 types
AA - 7 types
UA - 8 types
SQ - 5 types
QF - 4 types
BA - 7 types

Something tells me Ansett's fleet mix was only a minor contributor. Having only a few types is not as cost efficient as some would have you think (although it is more efficient)

While I am in the mood - Ansett's fleet age average was 11 years compared to worldwide average of 10.5 years or 16 years depending on what source you use. Not really that old.
Old Oct 2, 2001, 8:25 pm

I hope this article isn't a sign of things to come. Claims many AN flights are empty - what the heck is wrong with the Aussie public - don't they know what's good for them?

Passenger freefall dims Ansett hopes

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E15488,00.html

Cheers,

Justin
Old Oct 2, 2001, 11:46 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
UA is now down to 5 types following the retirement of the 727 and 73S fleets at the end of the month: 737-300/500, 747-400, 757/767 and 777.

Just a minor data point.

As for pax staying away from AN - sorry, but can you blame them? I'm as loyal to AN as the next person, but how many of us got badly burnt with the colapse? AN-II has nothing to set it apart from DJ either - there's no FF points etc etc. If price was equal and I was a QF and AN FF member I think I'd be swayed to QF(this is a terrible admission for me!). Having said that if AN-II do make it back to BNE I do intend to fly them MEL-BNE in November to show my support.

It is, unfortunately all very sad.. and just watch what is happening in europe with SR/SN going bust - a bigger version of Ansett. Heck, in Switzerland their version of KD (Crossair) is now the flag carrier !

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Oct 3, 2001, 3:13 am

Sad about Switzerland as well, the world aviation industry is very sick at the moment, and is in dire need of a panacea. Think about it, it's like Kendell replacing Ansett.

For some lucky ones, it comes in the form of Government funding. For some lucky ones, it's a ticket to buy a bunch of French executive jets (hmmn, UA) - there are a lot of unhappy people.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nyt/200...ob_cuts_1.html

It's understandable that pax feel sour at Ansett, however it's only in their interests that AN is up in the air again. Some pax realise that. When you can get comparable tickets on AN for a lower price than on QF and DJ in most situations, I think AN should be supported. I utterly reject the notion that Australia cannot handle a few carriers - AN's demise was not caused by too small a market, rather a poor business, which was mismanaged, and starved of capital. Had it been a lean and mean operation, I'm sure it would have been able to survive.

AN II does have points over DJ, namely superior legroom, Business Class seating if you're lucky! Judging by today's results, better schedule integrity as well (DJ is better than QF though).

Cheers,

Justin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.