Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

less than "first class" on Acela, would Amtrak care????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

I don't travel Amtrak enough to know if this is worth reporting? I purchased one way ticket from BOS -WAS on Amtrak Acela. Purchased the ticket 4-5 months ago and travelled earlier this week. Once I boarded, I tried to remove the tray table so that I could place my drink and peanuts. The table was lodged pretty tightly and would not extend. I brought the matter to the attendant's attention and she tried the table and it still would not budge. She apologized and told me to alert the conductor who'd come by shortly. In the meantime I had to balance my drink and snack on my lap as we departed the station. The attendant then suggested that I use the Amtrak app and see if there was another seat avail. I did so and saw the only remaining seats were at the 4-some tables. I didn't prefer that. The conductor could not have been nicer and found me a seat at 1F which I accepted. The 1F seat does not fully recline so when I got to DC my back was hurting a bit. It wasn't the end of the world but def wasn't the first class experience I'd sought. Would Amtrak care about this? It's not like my life is ruined, I'm just disappointed in the two failures. Thanks. (also I wanna thank FT as I'd read that it is acceptable to offer a small tip to the FC attendant. She was very grateful and def deserved it but I would not have known that it was even permissible until I read FT.) thnx
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:37 pm

I would definitely write in and they'll probably give you a voucher that's good for future travel. That would be bad anywhere but in FC is really unacceptable.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:38 pm

I'm surprised that the attendant did not have the ability to check the seat map herself on her device -- why would she tell you to use the app to find a new seat?
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
I'm surprised that the attendant did not have the ability to check the seat map herself on her device -- why would she tell you to use the app to find a new seat?
Amtrak policy is that only conductors can do that -- not FC attendants. Though one can self-select seats on the app even when on-board, except for the ADA seat. I've had the attendant let me sit in the ADA seat when mine was broken, but s/he always confirmed with the conductor.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Those tray tables on the Acela have always been terrible. Poor engineering. They amplify every bump and shake the train makes. One of the good things about the limited capacity during the pandemic restrictions was I could book 15A which gave me a fixed table to myself, since the facing seat was blocked.
wxguy likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thank you all for such helpful replies. I've followed up with Amtrak and they're "looking in to it." What an experience in making the report. It took me over 2 days an three hours of attempts in order to make the reporting. Starting w/ a faulty online form. Sigh. I wish Amtrak was better funded... but that's a whole nuther strand I'm sure.... Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
IMO the only reportable aspect of any of this was how helpful and accommodating each of the Amtrak employees who assisted you were. It was your choice to sit in the non-reclineable seat instead of in a reclineable seat at a table, which would have been an inarguably "first-class" experience.
hhdl and timbeaux like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm still dismayed at how variable the Acela FC service can be -- and it's all about the attendants. Now that things have settled, each train has two attendants (one in the galley, one working the aisle); most trains are reasonably full (44 seats).

On the plus side, a team I travel with frequently, WAS-based Amy and Tom, do a superb service. From BOS<>NYP, drinks and snacks, meals with drink refills, another walk-through for refills later in the trip, hot towels. They come by frequently to clean up used supplies and ask if there's anything they can get me. I'm delighted to tip them well. I've written to Amtrak customer service to praise them.

Yesterday on a BOS-NYP trip with a different team, one pre-meal drink, no snacks. Meal served, and it was an hour before an attendant came by to clean up used supplies. No offer of another drink for the rest of the trip. Around STM, I walked back to the galley to ask for a sparkling water; the attendant said he'd bring it to me. Fifteen minutes later when he passed by, I reminded him again. It never came. I walked back to the galley again to ask a third time, and the two of them were just chatting and acted as if this was the first time I'd asked.

Another crew member I've ridden with a few times is always in a bad mood, and it seems like an imposition any time he's asked for something. When I pay double fare for FC vs BC, I expect efficient and cordial service.

I know that we're talking about individuals with varied levels of experience, but given Amtrak has a prescribed work flow and sets expectations based upon marketing the product, it's a shame there can't be a consistent level of service.
jpeterson likes this.

Last edited by wxguy; May 11, 2022 at 10:27 am
Old May 11, 2022, 2:45 pm

Amtrak onboard service is HIGHLY variable across the entire system. It is the biggest problem they have that is wholly under their control.

Compared to the airlines, it may be unusual. Compared to the rest of Amtrak, it is absolutely normal. We are talking an entire corporate culture here.
zdcatc12, wxguy and hi55us like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soxfanndc
(also I wanna thank FT as I'd read that it is acceptable to offer a small tip to the FC attendant. She was very grateful and def deserved it but I would not have known that it was even permissible until I read FT.) thnx
You mean you wouldn't have known it was permissible after the attendant marched up and down the aisle prior to arrival with a glass with a $20 in it on the tray they were using to collect empty glasses?
wxguy likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by zephyr17
Amtrak onboard service is HIGHLY variable across the entire system. It is the biggest problem they have that is wholly under their control.

Compared to the airlines, it may be unusual. Compared to the rest of Amtrak, it is absolutely normal. We are talking an entire corporate culture here.
Go read any of the airline-specific Flyertalk forums, and you will see that a very dissatisfied perception of highly variable onboard service is also the norm on airlines.
Old May 12, 2022, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by physioprof
Go read any of the airline-specific Flyertalk forums, and you will see that a very dissatisfied perception of highly variable onboard service is also the norm on airlines.
Yes, but Amtrak takes "variable onboard service" to a whole new level.

I do a one-way 600-mile trip every 2 weeks, usually first class on American, but sometimes in a sleeping car on Amtrak, and overall AA staff is nicer and more service-oriented than Amtrak staff, and there is more consistency on AA.

On AA, the big variable is (1) "will there be pre-departure drinks or not?" and (2) "how many rounds of drinks will I get". On most flights, it's (1) yes and (2) at least 2 rounds.

On Amtrak, (1) maybe I'll be permitted to go to the cafe car and maybe not, (2) maybe I'll get dinner (included in my fare) or not, (3) the equipment that is broken varies and (4) what I will get fussed at by the staff about varies. At this point, I'm so trained to expect to be fussed at by the cafe car staff about something that I'll jump off the train at a long station stop and get food, and I don't even bother trying to get breakfast onboard (although it's included in my fare).
zephyr17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.