FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - less than "first class" on Acela, would Amtrak care????
Old May 11, 2022, 10:09 am
wxguy

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm still dismayed at how variable the Acela FC service can be -- and it's all about the attendants. Now that things have settled, each train has two attendants (one in the galley, one working the aisle); most trains are reasonably full (44 seats).

On the plus side, a team I travel with frequently, WAS-based Amy and Tom, do a superb service. From BOS<>NYP, drinks and snacks, meals with drink refills, another walk-through for refills later in the trip, hot towels. They come by frequently to clean up used supplies and ask if there's anything they can get me. I'm delighted to tip them well. I've written to Amtrak customer service to praise them.

Yesterday on a BOS-NYP trip with a different team, one pre-meal drink, no snacks. Meal served, and it was an hour before an attendant came by to clean up used supplies. No offer of another drink for the rest of the trip. Around STM, I walked back to the galley to ask for a sparkling water; the attendant said he'd bring it to me. Fifteen minutes later when he passed by, I reminded him again. It never came. I walked back to the galley again to ask a third time, and the two of them were just chatting and acted as if this was the first time I'd asked.

Another crew member I've ridden with a few times is always in a bad mood, and it seems like an imposition any time he's asked for something. When I pay double fare for FC vs BC, I expect efficient and cordial service.

I know that we're talking about individuals with varied levels of experience, but given Amtrak has a prescribed work flow and sets expectations based upon marketing the product, it's a shame there can't be a consistent level of service.

Last edited by wxguy; May 11, 2022 at 10:27 am