Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by ND76
I was always under the impression that these cars were off limits to revenue passengers. This was the first time that I have been booked into one of the compartments on board. I was told by staff that they have been selling rooms in these cars WAS-CHI for the past few months.

I would be interested in getting another room in one of these cars for another reason. On the lower level there were two "booths" like in the sightseer lounge. The conductor let me sit down there, and in fact we spent the last two hours of the trip (after breakfast), TOL-SOB, down there and really enjoyed the ride and the relative privacy. I often take work on these trips, and being able to set up at one of the booths in that open space with no foot traffic going past looked really appealing to me.
If the crew says it's okay, then feel free. But don't take offense if someone kicks you out, as that area is an area for the crew.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Bringing up an old thread...

Sincent this is FlyerTalk I'll take it some of you have flown J or F in the skies. Now nearly all would say no tipping is required in that situation, why all of the sudden when on the ground are we encouraged to tip.

If I buy a sleeper car ticket, equivalent to the J class, with meals included why would one tip? Why would one tip the Sleeper Car Attendant when you don't tip the Flight Attendant making up your F cabin for sleeping.

Seems like a fair comparison, or am I missing something?
Old May 21, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Apples and oranges. FAs don't spend 30-60 hours on near-continuous duty, with one night's rest, then another similar shift in the other direction -- with a cumulative total of 4-7 days away from home. Forget the merits of US tipping culture in the first place, or what occupation or level of effort warrants tipping. But train attendants really do have uniquely demanding jobs, thus tipping them has been a tradition for as long as sleeping cars have existed.
CMK10 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.