Tipping Question

Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
Tipping Question

Hi! Husband and I have a deluxe bedroom on the Empire Builder coming up - wondering about tips? Sleeping car attendant, before or after trip and how much per person/per day? Dining car, how much at each meal? Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
First thing to remember is that tipping is never required on Amtrak. Also, on-board personnel are not paid sub-minimum wage (as many land-based service/restaurant employees are). So, keep in mind that your tip compensates the Amtrak employee on top of their already competitive wage.

That said, most people find it appropriate to tip at mealtimes to the same level as you would in a traditional restaurant. As a sleeping car passenger, you won't get a bill for your meals (unless you purchase an alcoholic beverage). But you can leave your tip (in cash) on the table when you leave. (I try to take along small bills for this purpose)

I wouldn't worry about the "percentage" since Amtrak dining car meal prices are somewhat inflated. I generally tip a dollar or two per person for good service, or more for great service. I have also declined to tip when service was horrible, which sadly happens all too often.

I would never tip a sleeping car attendant (SCA) at the beginning of the trip since you cannot know at that point whether they will be deserving of one. I understand that some people tip up front as a way to grease the skids. But an SCA is required to serve all passengers equally well regardless of financial incentive.

As far as how much to tip an SCA after the trip, theories vary widely on this. For good service, some people tip $10 or even $20 per night. Frankly it seems a bit spendy to drop an extra $40 on someone just for doing their job. But if the spirit moves...then go for it. I'm more in the $10/flat rate range for good service, a bit more for exceptional service. I've also declined to tip when service was far below standards.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For meals, I tip about the same 15% as I would if paying cash. (Frequently, they seem surprised.)

For the room, usually about $10/night for good service, at the end of the trip.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by nerd
For meals, I tip about the same 15% as I would if paying cash. (Frequently, they seem surprised.)

For the room, usually about $10/night for good service, at the end of the trip.
Same here (except I do it at the beginning of the trip...mostly to try and get rooms for the family near each other.)

Other opinions: http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amthints-people.shtml
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Same here (except I do it at the beginning of the trip...mostly to try and get rooms for the family near each other.)

Other opinions: http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amthints-people.shtml
Will they change your rooms if asked/tipped/bribed?

I thought they were all assigned in advance. I wouldn't like it if my chosen room was given away by an SCA.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by will2288

I thought they were all assigned in advance. I wouldn't like it if my chosen room was given away by an SCA.
I was thinking just that myself...
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by will2288
some will, some won't.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
I start at $10 per night per person, if warranted. If the SCA also brings our meals to our room, I'll at least double it. I tip close to the end of the trip. It's easy to overlook when you (and everyone else is) are rushing to get your stuff and get off the train.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What my Dad and I do is when we board, during our first interaction with the attendant, we give him a $20. This is whether it's one night or two mind you. We've found this gets us really good service during the trip and that it's well worth the extra expense.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
If everyone gives him $20 does that put us all back to square one?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by User Name
If everyone gives him $20 does that put us all back to square one?
No. Good service does not come at the expense of other passengers. It's not as though you are getting the other guy's extra cup of tea.

The $20 is good and appropriate.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by CMK10
What my Dad and I do is when we board, during our first interaction with the attendant, we give him a $20. This is whether it's one night or two mind you. We've found this gets us really good service during the trip and that it's well worth the extra expense.
This advice is good to know with my upcoming Roomette trip. ^

dh
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Most expierenced riders would disagree with this "tip". Tips are to show appreciation for good service rendered, so if you get one of those invisible slackers that do show up on LDTrains, you've wasted your $20 tip( aka bribe).

So tip your SCA at the end of each leg of your trip according to the service you get, just like the servers in the Diner and any Redcaps you might use during your journey..
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jimhudson
Most expierenced riders would disagree with this "tip". Tips are to show appreciation for good service rendered, so if you get one of those invisible slackers that do show up on LDTrains, you've wasted your $20 tip( aka bribe).

So tip your SCA at the end of each leg of your trip according to the service you get, just like the servers in the Diner and any Redcaps you might use during your journey..
And they're welcome to disagree with us, but we have a 100% success rate doing so and we take 2-3 LD trips a year @:-)
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:36 pm

When I travel on Amtrak with my dad, he gives the SCA a tip at the beginning. It has helped us arrange favorable terms for transition from sleeper to coach and vice versa when dealing with zone limits on Guest Rewards redemptions. There are also many occasions when an SCA, without negatively affecting any other passengers, can shuffle room assignments to keep groups together.

I, like a fool, give the tip at the end. I think my dad's method works better. I need to change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.