Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYP - Downstairs Boarding Stopped

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Amtrak
Let this thread die. boarding downstairs is fine.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:01 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by mre2b9
It might be fine now, but the information about things like knowing which track your train might be on from the arrival/departure monitors is valuable to me when I get the chance to go to/from NYP. I'd prefer it stay open, even if it has become more broad than the original topic.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I've been looking but there is a ton of information out there. I will be taking the Acela from NYP and am curious how early I need to get there, how I get to the "lower level", etc. I have done this before but only in F and boarding from the club. NYP is a bit of a madhouse so I just want to know what to expect. I'm traveling alone and was thinking of just sitting in the Cafe Car. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:59 pm

In general, inbound Acela trains to NYP are scheduled to arrive about 15 minutes before the continuing scheduled departure. So if you want to be in position when the train is first available for boarding arriving 20 minutes in advance gives you plenty of time.

The easiest way to avoid the madness is to grab a red cap to take you down to the platform. You should be able to find one in the general area of Acela Club or that end of the station. As a last resort you can linger outside the club and ask the red caps if they are going down to your train and join the group. This is well worth the cost of a tip (be a sport and give at least $5 even if you have no bags).

If you prefer to use the lower level "trick" there are a number of ways downstairs, but the easiest is to simply go down the stairs or escalators located in the center of the waiting/boarding area under the big train departure boards. Before doing this monitor the ARRIVAL information located on the old green CRT screens located at the ends of the waiting area (easiest to find is near the Acela Club). When you see a track posted for your train arriving, go down to the lower level, and then go down the stairs to the correct track (one side of the hallway has escalators going up, the other side has either open stairs, or doors that may be closed, but are not locked). This is not for the faint of heart - if you do not know what you are doing you can end of boarding the wrong train, so pay close attention to platform numbers, etc.

I am a strictly first class traveler on the Acela, so I can't opine about sitting in the Café car for the entire ride. I am thinking that unless I bothered to drink the entire time the constant flow of people would annoy me, but I am sure others are better able to give advice on this one.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
I am a strictly first class traveler on the Acela, so I can't opine about sitting in the Café car for the entire ride. I am thinking that unless I bothered to drink the entire time the constant flow of people would annoy me, but I am sure others are better able to give advice on this one.
The cafe car in the Acela is not a comfortable place to sit. The only seating is little backless bar stools. My favorite seating is in the quiet car (directly adjacent to the first class car), and in fact I much prefer the quiet car to sitting in first class. (I have been Select Plus for several years, and my upgrade certificates always go to waste.) I prefer the serenity of the quiet car over the slightly larger first class seat, the crummy meal served in first class, and the self important people in the first class car (BeantownFlyer certainly not among them) who spend the entire trip yelling into their cell phones!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:54 pm

Blumie's description of the first class car is pretty accurate. I have the same discussion with my father, who is probably sitting next to Blumie on many trips, since those are his favorite seats as well.

As for me, I enjoy the wider seat and crummy meal. I can do without the self important people though!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mre2b9
I second this. I've traveled weekly on Amtrak from NYP since 2007 and have not once had a problem with downstairs boarding.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: Trans American 1K
Originally Posted by vatraveler
I second this. I've traveled weekly on Amtrak from NYP since 2007 and have not once had a problem with downstairs boarding.
That's not really sufficient proof that it isn't still happening. I've weekly commuted since 2002 and I'd say I've bumped into downstairs blocking about 2-3 times a year, starting about 3-4 years ago.

Here's a clue: if TSA is doing their random bag check / swipe thing at the upstairs boarding gate, you can probably bet there will be an Amtrak police officer blocking the downstairs door.

It can also be VIP related, there was a period of three weeks where on the 2:15PM Keystone every time there was a cop blocking downstairs door and they would ID everyone on the train after boarding. I switched to the 2:44PM to avoid that nonsense. Never did see what was going on, but there was one passenger car that was restricted access.

And here's a tip- I haven't seen them block the elevator nor do they block the entrances on the NJT side of the platform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.