Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYP - Downstairs Boarding Stopped

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 1:16 pm

My Wife was in NYC heading to DC and said that she boarded her Acela to DC from the lower level without any issue, nobody was present to stop her or the other pax who boarded from the Lower Level.

I have done it twice and neither time was an AMTRAK employee on the Lower Level doing any sort of checking. In fact once I ran into an AMTRAK Police Officer in the elevator and he asked where I was going, I replied Washington and he wished me a safe trip and said I was smart to avoid the scrum on the main level.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by kmersh
My Wife was in NYC heading to DC and said that she boarded her Acela to DC from the lower level without any issue, nobody was present to stop her or the other pax who boarded from the Lower Level.

I have done it twice and neither time was an AMTRAK employee on the Lower Level doing any sort of checking. In fact once I ran into an AMTRAK Police Officer in the elevator and he asked where I was going, I replied Washington and he wished me a safe trip and said I was smart to avoid the scrum on the main level.
I haven't seen any issue in a long, long time. On occasion I have seen the doors on the downstairs level leading down to the track closed, but they are not locked, so one can just walk right in (as I have done).
Old May 13, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Blumie
I haven't seen any issue in a long, long time. On occasion I have seen the doors on the downstairs level leading down to the track closed, but they are not locked, so one can just walk right in (as I have done).
Interesting. I saw the door closed the other day, and so went back upstairs. I'll try the door next time it's closed.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I took Acela 2173 (NYP to WAS) and used the downstairs access route without any issues. FYI
Old May 30, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fried.food.is.good
I took Acela 2173 (NYP to WAS) and used the downstairs access route without any issues. FYI
I took the NE Regional down to DC on Thursday, and similarly was able to board downstairs without an issue. Didn't see anyone (police or otherwise) preventing or watching.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
Interesting. I saw the door closed the other day, and so went back upstairs. I'll try the door next time it's closed.

Just FYI, I ran into that same situation about 2 weeks ago and the door was locked.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
No issues last night on #94, lower level has been working pretty good over the last 6 months. Seems they're only being strict around major holidays.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:16 pm

2 quick Q's: Where is the elevator in NYP? And, how do you know which track to board? Wait for the announcement?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by plinko83
Just FYI, I ran into that same situation about 2 weeks ago and the door was locked.
I certainly don't doubt you, but how in the world can a locked door to an active platform be kosher with respect to fire code?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by BobR
I certainly don't doubt you, but how in the world can a locked door to an active platform be kosher with respect to fire code?
Could be locked from the concourse side, but unlocked from the platform side.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by drmoze
2 quick Q's: Where is the elevator in NYP? And, how do you know which track to board? Wait for the announcement?

On the 8th Ave Side there is an elevator on the upper level that brings you right to the track 7/8 platform I believe. If you need to access the other tracks you have to do 2 elevators, first the "master" elevator on 7/8 and then a 2nd elevator to your respective track (That only runs from the lower level to the track level). There are also the NJ Transit concourse elevators.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:07 am

Just boarded on track 13 through downstairs concourse with no problem.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
About a month ago on a 10am departure there were police blocking an entrance. First time I've ever seen that.

These days, I find it much easier to just get a red cap at the ClubAcela and have them bring you to the front of the line. The 3-5 dollar tip is well worth it to ensure getting a single seat in FC at NYP.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
Police block the entrance when there is a VIP on board (or will be on board...eg, Biden at Wilmington station if you're going southbound). They want everyone to go through the main line and be subject to the random security checks.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by mapletree
Police block the entrance when there is a VIP on board (or will be on board...eg, Biden at Wilmington station if you're going southbound). They want everyone to go through the main line and be subject to the random security checks.
The crazy thing that they will never be able to prevent is one of the crazies getting on at one of the stations only 20 minutes outside of NYP (as nearly every trains stops at Newark, NJ, Yonkers, NY, Croton Harmon, NY, New Rochelle, NY or Stamford, CT). It really is the biggest form of security theater ever...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.