Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYP - Downstairs Boarding Stopped

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:25 pm

On Wednesday 9/16, I tried to board southbound #173 (Regional, so presumably no VIP on board?) from the lower level (Track 12). Amtrak police officer stationed at the top of the stairs told my co-worker and me that we couldn't board that way because "they" were doing bag checks. I head upstairs and for what it's worth, there was no bag check.

I wonder: random occurrence or new protocol?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jws5527
On Wednesday 9/16, I tried to board southbound #173 (Regional, so presumably no VIP on board?) from the lower level (Track 12). Amtrak police officer stationed at the top of the stairs told my co-worker and me that we couldn't board that way because "they" were doing bag checks. I head upstairs and for what it's worth, there was no bag check.

I wonder: random occurrence or new protocol?
Could be random. Could also be because UN General Assembly is in session this week and next.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:06 am

I was there 9/11 and boarded downstairs with no issue so it would seem random to me.

Although this makes me wonder, now that they are ostensibly weighing bags, will they be closing off downstairs boarding?

I seriously hope not.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by musicalbox
Although this makes me wonder, now that they are ostensibly weighing bags, will they be closing off downstairs boarding?
I don't see how one thing would have anything to do with the other, since there are numerous stations on the NEC that don't have any mechanism for controlling access to the platforms.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:11 pm

But NY does, and if it's a question of losing revenue, I think they'd be stricter about it.

But like I said, I truly hope it's not the case.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Never been stopped using the mezzanine entrance.

Although once I was running late and the top gate had no one in line, but my ticket was on my phone. which was somewhere at the bottom of my bag.

the "gate agen" said I had to show my ticket or he couldn't let me down the escalator.

I turned to walk away and he asked where I was going. I said I'd just board from downstairs.

He said I couldn't, that it was "illegal to do so"

to which I responded I did it all the time, to which he responded he'd call the police if I tried it.

Not knowing what the outcome would be if in fact the police were called - Amtrak or otherwise I dug through my bag, found my phone and was able to pull up the ticket, all with about 30 seconds to spare as the doors closed as I got on.

On another note, I'm traveling tomorrow and with the Pope in town wondering what the situation will be for a 4:40 train.....
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:02 pm

I'll be there an hour before you. I have a feeling Penn Station's going to be a nightmare tomorrow.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:01 pm

No issues at all with downstairs boarding today for those traveling, although the place is a zoo. More so than usual, I should say.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Agreed, experienced no problems on Friday, 9/25, with the Pope in town.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:16 am

Boarded this morning (Monday, September 28) from downstairs with no issues, and Obama is in town.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Yes no problems last week, actually Penn/MSG was crazy outside, but I found inside to be more empty than normal.

Now I'm curious about tomorrow - October 1st. I just recieved an email from Amtrak regarding my trip tomorrow - notifiying me of the new baggage allowance rules.

Will we be able to board from downstairs tomorrow - or future dates while they are trying to enforce baggage fees?

I hate the thought of trying to board upstairs with the masses all filtering to the one escalator.

Time will tell.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by QDDawg
Yes no problems last week, actually Penn/MSG was crazy outside, but I found inside to be more empty than normal.

Now I'm curious about tomorrow - October 1st. I just recieved an email from Amtrak regarding my trip tomorrow - notifiying me of the new baggage allowance rules.

Will we be able to board from downstairs tomorrow - or future dates while they are trying to enforce baggage fees?

I hate the thought of trying to board upstairs with the masses all filtering to the one escalator.

Time will tell.
I debarked onto the downstairs level from train 2160 this afternoon, and didn't see any security or police. Please let us know what happens tomorrow.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Delta Diamond MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I came through on Friday (10/2) and this afternoon (10/5) and it was business as usual boarding downstairs. I didn't look too closely but I didn't see any scales anywhere in the station other than in the baggage area on the main level.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I boarded from the downstairs platform yesterday (10/8) on an Acela train. No issues. No scales. No police.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Yea, no scales in sight on my round trip this weekend NYP-BOS. Downstairs boarding was also no issue on Friday night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.