Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak AGR Upgrade Voucher Compendium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak AGR Upgrade Voucher Compendium

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
HUACA worked! Got my upgrade! I was already typing out a PM to AGR Insider when I was on the phone with the second agent. I'm glad that I didn't need to hit 'Send.'

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Are the upgrade kits of 5 coupons using points now issued electronically instead of paper certificates? And if so, how do you redeme the electronic coupons?
The coupons each have a unique coupon code. Just call it in with your reservation number and the coupon code. I like this system a bit better. In the past, when you had to forfeit the physical coupon at a ticket window, there was a chance that the agent wouldn't know how to process it and say that your fare is ineligible. With the electronic coupons, I can HUACA until I find someone competent.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm Select right now but was Select Plus last year. I had an issue involving an upgrade voucher and AGR was nice enough to replace it. It was valid from June, 2014 to June, 2015 and was coded as a Select Plus voucher. I'm happy to report I was able to call and have it applied at the S+ window instead of the S window for a trip tomorrow.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL FO
I just used my first upgrade coupon - I was a bit nervous given stories here about problems with upgrade, but the process was absolutely seamless. I didn't even have to give the agent my coupon number - just told her my member number and that I wanted to upgrade my trip for tomorrow. She upgraded and emailed a confirmation. I checked my rewards account, and one of the coupons is now marked as used, with the correct date a reservation number noted.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA, Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Acela Saver Fare

I hope I'm not being repetitive, but can the Saturday Acela Saver fares be upgraded to First Class using a 12-hour upgrade coupon? I've tried searching the forum and the answer seems to be "yes, but you'll have a lot of trouble."
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If it's your voucher (meaning you redeemed it with points or was granted from status) then you'll see it under "My Account" on the website, but will have to call it in to apply it (which should be straightforward as the agent should be able to see your coupons as well). If you're using a coupon given to you by a friend, then all you need to do is call it in with the reservation and coupon number (each one is unique).

When you to call it in, you'll have trouble if you encounter an agent that doesn't know how to manually input the original fare when trying to upgrade you. When they upgrade you, the system will automatically ask for a re-fare. There are also plenty of agents out there that are adamant that Saver fares are ineligible because they are "discounted," but I've had success, and I seem to recall AGR Insider posting here a while back saying that the Saver fares are indeed upgradable with coupons. If this happens, just hang up and call again until you reach an agent who knows how to handle it.

Last edited by diburning; Jul 11, 2015 at 2:48 am
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AGR Insider
Two are needed. A single upgrade coupon is only good for a single train segment.

Anthony
How about a through fare with forced connection? For example, STM-WAS-WDB. This is technically two segments, but the connection is necessary if you want to begin the journey from STM in the afternoon.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler
How about a through fare with forced connection? For example, STM-WAS-WDB. This is technically two segments, but the connection is necessary if you want to begin the journey from STM in the afternoon.
I could not do it when I went to VA Beach (Norfolk) from Acela using the 23hr rule and id did codeshare BOS-STM-WAS as a thru fare with the stopover in Stamford. I did Boston-STM-WAS DC-NFK it was going to be 3 upgrade vouchers. I used 2 of them for the Acela's and just did coach DC to Norfolk
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It has been 1 1/2 years since this question and response. I was wondering if AGR has lightened up on the 5 pack minimum? I have a trip next week. I am really annoyed that I have four remaining vouchers that expire next week in the middle of my Acela trip.

I can use one at the beginning of the trip, but the other three expire before my return.

Is there any chance AGR will extend the life by a few days.

I might try to gift a couple of them at the station to a "friend" on the outbound.

Originally Posted by 100% Green
I am looking for one class upgrade (from accela business to first). I don't want to buy a five pack since I don't have five accela trips scheduled. Is it possible to just purchase one with miles? I only see the option to purchase five.
Originally Posted by AlanB
Sadly, no.

One can only get a 5 pack.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I have never been denied an upgrade using an AGR....my travel is always on the Acela usually WAS-NYP, tho sometimes WAS-PHL. Until today that is. I was not denied because the first class car was full; to the contrary, it's empty. But today is a blackout date. Presumably because so many people traveling for the holidays go first class??? The good news is that business class is the emptiest I've ever seen it, my fare is the lowest I've ever paid. The line to board is usually about halfway down Union Station; today, I counted the people, there were 50. So, while it's just as well they didn't let me travel first, I'm still wondering why?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcresq
I have never been denied an upgrade using an AGR....my travel is always on the Acela usually WAS-NYP, tho sometimes WAS-PHL. Until today that is. I was not denied because the first class car was full; to the contrary, it's empty. But today is a blackout date. Presumably because so many people traveling for the holidays go first class??? The good news is that business class is the emptiest I've ever seen it, my fare is the lowest I've ever paid. The line to board is usually about halfway down Union Station; today, I counted the people, there were 50. So, while it's just as well they didn't let me travel first, I'm still wondering why?
I traveled Acela on Saturday and was quite bitter that I could not use my last remaining upgrade coupon due to the blackout.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
Seems like it's taking longer than has in the past for the upgrade certs to come through for Select Plus. Anyone else have this issue? Am I missing something?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by nickflies
Seems like it's taking longer than has in the past for the upgrade certs to come through for Select Plus. Anyone else have this issue? Am I missing something?
If you're referring to the ones you would get for re-qualifying for Select Plus, they won't post to your account until mid to late February. There is still a month and a few days left on your 2015 Select Plus term. The new 2016 term starts with March 1st and runs through the end of February 2017.

You re-qualify based upon the calendar year, but the status level is good from March through February, along with the coupons.

So, NO, it's not taking longer than normal. It would actually be incredibly early for the coupons to be in your account.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by AlanB
If you're referring to the ones you would get for re-qualifying for Select Plus, they won't post to your account until mid to late February. There is still a month and a few days left on your 2015 Select Plus term. The new 2016 term starts with March 1st and runs through the end of February 2017.

You re-qualify based upon the calendar year, but the status level is good from March through February, along with the coupons.

So, NO, it's not taking longer than normal. It would actually be incredibly early for the coupons to be in your account.
Thank you. I admit I totally missed this in the past. Used to the airline cycle of immediately bestowing benefits, like the AA SWUs, and must not have noticed when the upgrades posted in the past.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Dumb upgrade question...

...from an upgrade rookie. I have two 1-class upgrades, from different sources (one is the 15th anniversary offer, about to expire, the other is from the Mastercard). Can two upgrade coupons be used for two travelers on the same reservation? The coupons all have "can't be combined with other coupons" warnings, but wasn't sure if that applied to using two upgrades from different sources.

I realize that the odds of getting two travelers upgrades on 12-hour upgrades probably isn't good, but this is the only chance we'll have to try to use the one upgrade that expires in a few weeks, so might as well try. Thanks in advance...
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by octr202
...from an upgrade rookie. I have two 1-class upgrades, from different sources (one is the 15th anniversary offer, about to expire, the other is from the Mastercard). Can two upgrade coupons be used for two travelers on the same reservation? The coupons all have "can't be combined with other coupons" warnings, but wasn't sure if that applied to using two upgrades from different sources.
That shouldn't be a problem at all.

What one cannot do is combine a companion coupon with a free upgrade coupon for example.

Originally Posted by octr202
I realize that the odds of getting two travelers upgrades on 12-hour upgrades probably isn't good, but this is the only chance we'll have to try to use the one upgrade that expires in a few weeks, so might as well try. Thanks in advance...
Depends on when you're traveling, day of week, time of day; and where you are going to/from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.