Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:02 pm

You can have more than one personal card if that is what you are asking. So, yes, you can have a personal platinum and a personal spg.

I can't think of any benefit of the business version over the personal.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I have both the personal Platinum and personal SPG. Keep in mind that some credit law protection extended to personal cards typically does not apply to business cards. See posts #14 and #15 in this thread for insight: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-business.html.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:21 pm

Thank you just what I needed to know, off to apply, thanks again
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:35 pm

I know you can have more than one card, but is there a limit?

I have the Amex Blue Sky, PRG, and Platinum. Can I get a fourth card too? (SPG).
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:27 pm

I thought there was a purchase protection difference?

I don't have my business platinum anymore but I also think that supplemental user costs were different as well. There was a thread about it somewhere.

It might be different now but I do remember there was a purchase protection difference, other than that I don't remember any major difference.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by drbobguy
I know you can have more than one card, but is there a limit?

I have the Amex Blue Sky, PRG, and Platinum. Can I get a fourth card too? (SPG).
Yes, you can absolutely get a fourth card. Your approval will be based on your credit history, score and income (as always) and how long you've had a good-standing relationship with AMEX. If all of those cards were opened within the last year, then it may be tough to get a fourth right now.

Also keep in mind with AMEX that there are charge cards (like Green, Gold, PRG, Platinum) that have no spending limits and require full payment within a month of statement closing...and then there are the regular AMEX credit cards (Blue, SPG, Delta Card, JetBlue, Hilton, etc.), which are treated differently.

Many have reported having multiple charge cards, credit cards and both. I have 3 credit cards and a 1 charge card and plan on getting another charge card without problem.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: A few
I now have FIVE personal Amex cards.

Two charge cards: Premier Rewards Gold, Mercedes-Benz Platinum

Three credit cards: Blue Cashback, SPG, Delta Platinum

I also have one business card.... that collection will grow with all good offers

I plan to try and expand the personal collection with Hilton cards too so will see how far this can be pushed...
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Money card's question about choosing a card to replace American Express Green has been transplanted to it's own thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...reen-card.html
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Does anyone know if you can have two of the same card product? Ie. two personal platinum cards? Thanks!
Anyone know? Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Anyone know? Thanks!
I wouldn't think you could get two of the same product but you never know.....the real question is why in the world would you want two seperate AMEX Platinum cards???? Double yearly fee alone seems like a reason no not consider this!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Currently have:

Amex Platinum
Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card
Amex Delta Platinum
Amex HHonors

Just cancelled Delta Amex Gold and thinking of upgrading my Delta Platinum Amex for the DL Reserve to get the 10k MQMs..
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by AirForceFlyer
Just cancelled Delta Amex Gold and thinking of upgrading my Delta Platinum Amex for the DL Reserve to get the 10k MQMs..
Be careful. Get it in writing in SM and screen shot the crud out of it (not that it'll work because AMEX "doesn't have email capability" even though they do, so that they can purposes not accept screen shots as proof).

Amex is on top of the untrustworthy pile at the moment.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:28 am

I got the Platinum, Gold Premiere Rewards, and SPG (all personal) in the same day. I also have the green corporate card.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
How many AMEX cards can you have

I am a currently hold 2 AMEX cards (SPG and AA), but I am tempted by the AMEX Premier bonus today, plus was also interested in the AMEX Platinum and HHonors Surpass. Is there a limit to how many cards AMEX will let you have? Granted, the current 2 are not AMEX MR rewards cards, but I also don't want to run afoul with AMEX. I would appreciate any insight anyone may have. Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

muflyer's question has been moved into the established thread on this topic. A review of the preceding posts should prove useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.