Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

xp0's question merged into long running discussion of this topic.

Last edited by mia; Mar 28, 2012 at 7:00 am
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: A few
I am now up to 5 personal (mb plat, prg, blue pfd, delta plat, spg) and 2 business (biz gold and spg biz)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:44 am
xp0

Mia - Thanks ... I did not see this thread before
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:36 am

Cool Applying for Amex Delta - already have Gold and Platinum

Hi,
I am planning to apply Applying for Amex Delta Gold and I already have AMEX PR Gold and Platinum, I am due for renewal of both the existing cards in Oct.

I signed up for both these cards last year and got 300K delta skymiles after moving MR points to Delta. I am going to spend 180K miles for europe trip, so with this card I will get 70K + 120K to get me back to 190K which I can use for Asia trip.

So, I was planning to cancel PR Gold and continue with Platinum, as I will be traveling international during this and next year.

As there is some bug or offer for 70K Skymiles, I was thinking of getting this card, and cancel PR Gold.

What do you guys think? Will I get in trouble with too many AMEX cards and get review. I never had Delta Skymiles card before.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: All of the Above
Obviously YMMV, but I've had up to 4 different personal cards, and 4 different Biz cards with Am Ex. So no, 3 is not too many. But it depends on your credit, income, etc.

Originally Posted by troyhouse
Hi,
I am planning to apply Applying for Amex Delta Gold and I already have AMEX PR Gold and Platinum, I am due for renewal of both the existing cards in Oct.

I signed up for both these cards last year and got 300K delta skymiles after moving MR points to Delta. I am going to spend 180K miles for europe trip, so with this card I will get 70K + 120K to get me back to 190K which I can use for Asia trip.

So, I was planning to cancel PR Gold and continue with Platinum, as I will be traveling international during this and next year.

As there is some bug or offer for 70K Skymiles, I was thinking of getting this card, and cancel PR Gold.

What do you guys think? Will I get in trouble with too many AMEX cards and get review. I never had Delta Skymiles card before.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by troyhouse
Hi,Will I get in trouble with too many AMEX cards and get review. I never had Delta Skymiles card before.
Go for it.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
Go for it.
ok, applied and got instant approval.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:35 am

How many AMEX cards possible?

Anyone get a second gold business card approved, and not get a sign up bonus? I got my second business gold card, and now I am worried that I will spend 10k and not get the 75k bonus,
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:48 am
mia

Originally Posted by bobby21
...worried...
No need. Send a SM to customer service asking for verification that you will receive a 75,000 bonus after spending $10,000 in XX days.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:23 am

How many AMEX cards possible?

Thanks mia, I will call as soon as I get my card, I have little confidence in the Amex reps these days, I just hope that if the bonus shows up in my card they actually post it to my account after I spend the 10k - hopefully there is no software code blocking my bonus since I have 2 business Golds.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:30 am
mia

Originally Posted by bobby21
... I will call..
I wouldn't call, you need a written commitment which you can generate by logging into your account and using the Secure Messaging system.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: SPG - Gold, Delta - Silver
I had 5 personal - Plat, Gold, Delta, Hilton and BC and 1 business - SPG. I recently closed the Gold, so down to 4 personal.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by BankofGreed
I had 5 personal - Plat, Gold, Delta, Hilton and BC and 1 business - SPG. I recently closed the Gold, so down to 4 personal.
I just recently found out that they separate the card types even more by credit or charge card.

I have had at most 7 cards total with Amex at one point, 5 personal, 2 business.
Out of the 5 personal- 2 charge, 3 credit.
Out of the 2 business- 1 charge, 1 credit.

Before my last AOR a month ago, my standing was 5 total cards, 3 personal (1 charge, 2 credit), 2 business (1 charge, 1 credit).

I applied for 1 personal (credit) and 1 business (credit) during my AOR and was instantly approved for the personal (making the total 3 personal credits and 1 business credit). The business app was declined due to me reaching "the maximum number of accounts allowed." So I cancelled the 1 existing business charge card and asked for reconsideration. Still was declined and was told that the business charge I cancelled was not a "lending account" so the cancellation did not affect the total in "maximum number of accounts". I assume that meant if I cancelled a credit instead of a charge then the number of accounts in question would go down and hence be in consideration for approval.

I didn't have any credit accounts I wanted to close, so I just cancelled the app. BTW, no hard pull when this denial reason occurs.

So looks like I am not able to push pass the 4 credit accounts (across personal and business) with them, despite having had more total (credit and charge) accounts with them before.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: SPG - Gold, Delta - Silver
Originally Posted by booyaa
I just recently found out that they separate the card types even more by credit or charge card.

I have had at most 7 cards total with Amex at one point, 5 personal, 2 business.
Out of the 5 personal- 2 charge, 3 credit.
Out of the 2 business- 1 charge, 1 credit.

Before my last AOR a month ago, my standing was 5 total cards, 3 personal (1 charge, 2 credit), 2 business (1 charge, 1 credit).

I applied for 1 personal (credit) and 1 business (credit) during my AOR and was instantly approved for the personal (making the total 3 personal credits and 1 business credit). The business app was declined due to me reaching "the maximum number of accounts allowed." So I cancelled the 1 existing business charge card and asked for reconsideration. Still was declined and was told that the business charge I cancelled was not a "lending account" so the cancellation did not affect the total in "maximum number of accounts". I assume that meant if I cancelled a credit instead of a charge then the number of accounts in question would go down and hence be in consideration for approval.

I didn't have any credit accounts I wanted to close, so I just cancelled the app. BTW, no hard pull when this denial reason occurs.

So looks like I am not able to push pass the 4 credit accounts (across personal and business) with them, despite having had more total (credit and charge) accounts with them before.
So even if someone had more than 4 in the past, the hard limit going forward is 4 cards? When did this go into effect? I applied for my 4th and 5th card in 2011.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: A few
I was told explicitly that there was a four card limit on credit cards during my last app-o-rama.

I am currently at four credit and two charge cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.