Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
Would a CostCo AmEx be considered a "Amex-network" card or an actual AmEx?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by G_Wolf
Would a CostCo AmEx be considered a "Amex-network" card or an actual AmEx?
It's a true Amex product, hence you can find the card on americanexpress.com.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
Originally Posted by mlad1101
It's a true Amex product, hence you can find the card on americanexpress.com.
Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:56 pm

5.. tried to apply for a 6th a while ago, but was told I would have to close one if I wanted a new card.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
I have a double digit amount of AMEX cards. I own many businesses and tried to get one card for each business (in order to keep expenses for each business separate). All of the cards are for legit businesses with real income/expenses and separate tax ids (no shenanigans to get free sign-up bonuses) But about a year ago I applied for 5 additional accounts for 5 new businesses. AMEX called me and asked what was going on. I explained each was for a different LLC etc - ultimately they approved 3 and declined 2. They made it clear that going forward they won't approve any more cards for me even if it's for a different business which is profitable and files it's own tax returns.

AMEX explained to me that they would much rather have me have one card and put all of my expenses for all of my companies on it and then have my accountants allocate the charges by booking the appropriate payables/receivables. I explained that their position didn't make sense to me because I'd spend the same amount of money anyway and the approvals/credit lines are all based on my credit not the credit of the company so why did they want me to pay for all of the extra accounting. They didn't have a good answer to that question. If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Harlem; Apr 27, 2011 at 6:28 am
Old May 1, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
You could get multiple AU cards on your existing account, and that would split your purchases up.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by pWei
You could get multiple AU cards on your existing account, and that would split your purchases up.
This is what I do. It is legit. You can call AmEx and they will tell you it's fine to open AU card(s) for yourself (to split up charges, etc).
Old May 2, 2011, 12:36 pm

Does anyone know if you can have two of the same card product? Ie. two personal platinum cards? Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
How many AMEX cards (Pers & Biz) do you have?

I have seen many ask this question in various threads to determine if they should apply for another or hold because they are close to (possibly) "maxed out". I myself am wondering the same question.

Of course they are no set rules with also the possibility of income/history being a large factor. But maybe there is a general norm and hopefully through our collective data we can find it for mutual benefits.

I have-
3 personal credit cards (1 fee: Delta Plat, 2 free: Blue Sky & Hilton)
1 personal charge card (Platinum)
1 business credit card (Delta Gold)

mia: maybe a sticky thread?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have merged booyaa's question with previous discussions (2010 and 2011) of the same subject. I did not include this thread from 2009 because economic circumstances and American Express practice have changed, but it is worth reading if you are interested in this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ard-limit.html
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa
I have-
Agree with the comment that there may be flexibility based on individual's perceived creditworthiness, but there is probably some general guidelines that apply to most people around here.

So what is it? I had always thought it's 2 personal + 2 biz on the revolving side, and then unlimited on the charge card side. But your having 3 personal and 1 biz credit accounts seems to contradict it. Maybe it's 4 in total, no matter how they are split between personal and biz?

I'll test it. I have 2 personal ones and 2 biz accounts. I'll apply for 1 more personal and 1 more biz, expecting both NOT getting instant approval. Then I'll close the 2 biz accounts that I don't use any more. At that point I'll expect the new biz app to be approved. As of the personal, we'll see how some of the hypotheses hold. I'll report back.

Some people here don't seem to undrestand the difference between AMEX's own products vs. AMEX cards offered by other issuers... which leads to some confusion when it comes to this discussion.

Last edited by lancexfang; Aug 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by booyaa
I have-
EDIT:
I now have-
2 personal charge cards (Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold)
1 business charge card (Business Gold)

7 total. Last two were instant approvals.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
7 here too.

I had 3 personal, 3 business approved in the past 2 months and have held 1 personal before that for years.

I've app'd for more than the 3 personal in the same timeframe and they were rejected, but the rejects were because their system recognized the applications as a duplicate (was a Delta Gold, Delta Plat, Delta Reserve) vs simply having too many cards.

Last edited by 2tall4economy; Nov 14, 2011 at 5:40 am
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Plat
I'm sitting at 5..and all applications have come since Feb' 2011:

1 Charge Card (Platinum)

4 Credit Cards (Delta Plat, Delta Gold..and this week I was just approved for the Hilton and SPG)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:56 pm

platinum and spg cards

I have decided to apply for the amex platinum card. I already have a spg amex that I plan on keeping. Will amex issue both personal cards or do i need to apply for the platinum business.

Are there any benefits the business card has that the personal doesn't .

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.