Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA, HH Silver, Mariott Gold, AX Plat
After reading the 6 pages, I decide to call in and cancel my Plat.

Reasons are pretty similar domestic 241 is my motivation to keep the card. Never really used I-241 or FHR, so I think its not worth for me to pay.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:56 pm

I imagine that Amex Platinum membership will decline dramatically due to this. I like the club access, but I don't fly often enough to justify the fee. All of the other benefits look like useless fluff to me. Amex bribed me with $50 points/per month through January to upgrade from gold. A year before they gave me an amazing $500 worth of points just to get the gold plus waived the fee. All signs point towards me downgrading to Gold in February, or cancelling completely. I may just transfer all the points to Delta or Southwest and be done with them.

This is a shame because I like the flexibility the rewards points provide, but other than that the Gold has not got much going for it. I doubt the companion fare program was not valued by members, as the letter stated, it was just too expensive. Too bad they could not just lower it to 1-2 companion fares per year instead of 4 per card, find a tweak that would keep it feasible. I used the companion fare once and saved $200, so I've banked about $1000 from Amex in a little over a year, not counting the $185 waived gold fee and the $625 I paid a couple of months ago to upgrade my wife and I to Platinum.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Exec., Delta Silver
Thumbs up

I guess AMEX is relaxing their six-month rule on booking through the companion program because of it ending; I was able to book a trip one week beyond the six month (to the date) requirement to book.

If you are planning a trip for after May 15, 2009 and you had originally planned to use the companion program, give it a try, you just might be able to book your trip before the program ends.

SFO - MIA booked yesterday / Travel Date: 5/15/09
Old Nov 7, 2008, 1:20 am

Well, count me as someone who *isn't*cancelling

Amex and I have had our ups and downs throughout out tumultuous relationship that begain in the 90's. Still, I've stuck with 'em.

I've received many benefits from my Plat card, and I won't be cancelling just because they are removing only one benefit that I've never used and that wasn't around when I joined up anyway. I believe that the 2-4-1 domestic program is less than 2 years old; that being said, I find it hard to believe that many old-timers like me will cancel just becuase they are losing that one thing.

If you only use FHR 1-2 times a year, and perhaps once for IAP, it more than makes up for the annual fee. Throw in the additional travel/purchase insurances you get (which I've utilized and gotten reimbursed without any problems), the fact that I no longer need to pay $90 a year for AAA, can call global assist when I'm in a travel bind (which I've done with satisfactory results), and have them help get me seats at a Fine Dining Location, and I am left feeling that I get more than my money's worth.

Interestingly, this month was the *only* time that I had considered using the *domestic* 2-4-1 program. No doubt, I'll be calling them before the 15th, but certainly won't be cancelling after that.

The Plat card still has value for me. If you actually use the benefits, you can get your money's worth.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Since you never used the benefit you're in a pretty good position to evaluate the value of the card without that benefit. You received zero value for it in the past year. Do you think that you realized $450 value through the other benefits? And, more to the point, do you think you will do so again next year? If so, renew. If not, cancel.

If your typical redemption is for retail merchandise then the MR program is not for you.
actually, i have received value for it since i have been using the airport access lounges. i canceled my admirals club membership for this card. however, since one of my goals is to significantly reduce travel next year i am pretty sure it will no longer be worth it to keep the card.

its too bad, i liked having the shiny platinum card in my wallet
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I called to cancel my card a couple of days ago. They asked why, and I replied that they had taken away the reason I got the card. The rep said that they had had a lot of complaints about the domestic 2-4-1 program, so they just took it away (instead of improving it - Duh!). The only other benefit I used was the Admirals Club access, and it is cheaper for me to just join the Admirals Club, so I'll do that. She tried really hard to persuade me to keep the card (selling other benefits, offering extra MR points, $25 credit, etc.), pushing a lot harder than other cards do when I cancel. That may just be SOP, or perhaps they're feeling the effect of this in a lot of cancellations.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
I went to cancel the PLAT card today, and they offered me 12,000 MR points. I took that and said I'll think about it. Just signed up for the Green card (no fee, first year, incl. for additional card holders), and will switch my MR points to that card, and then cancel my PLAT card in a couple weeks. Then I'll have a year to figure out what to do with my MR points. Hell hath no fury like a Flyertalker scorned (or deprived of an amenity he believes himself entitled to)...
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wuhoo
actually, i have received value for it since i have been using the airport access lounges. i canceled my admirals club membership for this card. however, since one of my goals is to significantly reduce travel next year i am pretty sure it will no longer be worth it to keep the card.

its too bad, i liked having the shiny platinum card in my wallet
I meant that you received zero value from the 2-4-1, not from the card overall. Since the AmEx card is more expensive than the AC access, I'd say you probably lost money on the deal. If you're not traveling at all, I'd junk both the Platinum card and the AC membership. If you travel still get an AC membership unless you need/benefit from the other AmEx Plat bennies, which it does not appear you do.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
For those who are curious, I was able to call API today and book a trip from 5/29/09 returning 5/31/09 with no problem. They were very upfront about making sure I knew that the program was changing in four days, and I had no problem asking to book on these dates.

It's time to use it or lose it folks!

Daniel

Last edited by danielb6752; Nov 11, 2008 at 10:54 am
Old Nov 11, 2008, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by kuroneko
Amex and I have had our ups and downs throughout out tumultuous relationship that begain in the 90's. Still, I've stuck with 'em.

I've received many benefits from my Plat card, and I won't be cancelling just because they are removing only one benefit that I've never used and that wasn't around when I joined up anyway. I believe that the 2-4-1 domestic program is less than 2 years old; that being said, I find it hard to believe that many old-timers like me will cancel just becuase they are losing that one thing.

If you only use FHR 1-2 times a year, and perhaps once for IAP, it more than makes up for the annual fee. Throw in the additional travel/purchase insurances you get (which I've utilized and gotten reimbursed without any problems), the fact that I no longer need to pay $90 a year for AAA, can call global assist when I'm in a travel bind (which I've done with satisfactory results), and have them help get me seats at a Fine Dining Location, and I am left feeling that I get more than my money's worth.

Interestingly, this month was the *only* time that I had considered using the *domestic* 2-4-1 program. No doubt, I'll be calling them before the 15th, but certainly won't be cancelling after that.

The Plat card still has value for me. If you actually use the benefits, you can get your money's worth.
The benefits you mention don't see like a good deal, as thoroughly discussed on here by those using them, or are offered by other cards too. The FHR program sounds like something for those that don't bat an eye at spending $3-$5-k per vacation or more. As a Hilton Diamond member with plenty of points coming in due to work travel (mostly driven), paying for a pricey hotel with a few perks thrown in does not appeal to me. The international travel program looks like a bait and switch where they make you buy the most expensive flight.

Roadside assistance: this is something you could do yourself or even call 911. Purchase protection and other insurance: seems like any platinum visa card I have had has something similar. Concierge or preferred tickets: seems like a longshot to really find something worthwhile here, and another one you could probably do yourself.

So for someone who travels a lot on a variety of airlines, I would say the card is worth it just to get the club access. Other than that, I can't see where common folk could justify the fee. If you take a vacation and spend big $, it is pretty easy for someone to tell you they saved you a few hundred bucks or you got a great deal due to "upgrades". Is is thinking like that has our economy in so much trouble, people living over their heads mostly.

Not trying to be judgemental here, but perhaps many of us were just outside of the Amex Platinum target market. The domestic airfare program was what made the card a slam dunk, and that may be the dividing line between the haves and have nots now (LOL).
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Knox
Roadside assistance: this is something you could do yourself or even call 911.
Do not call 911 for anything that would be roadside assistance related. Similarly, don't call roadside assistance for something that is actually an emergency.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: dl pm, *wood gold, amex plat, marriott silver
I have been interested in this forum because I had my membership fee renewal come up the same day as I received the email from amex about cancelling the 2-4-1. In all fairness when I signed up for this card it was for 2 reasons the 25,000 mr points and the 2-4-1. As much as I tried probably about a dozen times I was never able to find anything useful on 2-4-1. That said as an average Amex Plat member with a normal lifestyle I have found was to justify my card. First off added three additional cards for three family members who split the annual fee with me. We were adding it up the other day for the year and realized that combined we add used airport lounges about 100 times including stopovers and even sometimes when we landed to get a drink or use the bathroom while waiting for luggage. Saved about $200 when amex put us on two comp lists for clubs in las vegas. In terms of the fhr program I used it three times one time for five rooms in vegas(I booked 3 my sister the other two) we paid under 200 a night for three nights and recieved $800 for breakfast and $500 for the spa which was all used. Two other times we used it again for nice hotels that were under $200 and saved over $300 in meals plus a $100 for a resort credit. Besided this I have add the concierge help with travel and other info an a bunch of occasions.
All this said there are many ways to justify the fee and when I renewed the CSR agent apologized for the cancellation of 2-4-1 and explained the complaints for to high and then are working on a similiar deal which hopefully will be in place by early next year.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
onlyforleisure can you split your post into paras?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:59 am

OK< i hereby rescind my 911 comment.

I have had no problem using the 2-4-1 on a flight from Knoxville to San Antonio, TX. The first ticket was about $300, and the second was $100, which is the minimum fees and taxes. That is the best case scenario for flying on the cheap, just over $200/ticket. I guess if the paid flight was pricier, you gain even more. When I called to use this benefit, I was on a 2.5 hour drive. I did not have to hold, but the reservation process was very slow. The agent first quoted me a more expensive flight, but then I said what about this airline, this time, etc. and got exactly what I wanted. It would have been nicer to book online, but bottom line was I recouped $200 of the $450 + $185 (wife) that I forked out. With this benefit, the card is the best one out there, bar none. I am glad to hear they have something in the works to replace it, that is big news and first I heard of that.

As far as $800 for breakfast, are you kidding? Normally I stay at the Hilton Vegas and get free breakfast for me and my wife anyway, it just depends on each person's situation. I am not saying that I would never ever use the FHR, but as a Hilton Diamond its value is greatly diminished to me. I normally get rates below $100 when I stay in Vegas.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: IC Plat RA
Saved about $200 when amex put us on two comp lists for clubs in Las Vegas? Received $800 for breakfast and $500 for the spa? Saved over $300 in meals plus a $100 for a resort credit?

Were you able to get these benefits through the Platinum Concierge or FHR? Aside from the typical benefits listed on the FHR website I’ve never experienced anything like this!

Originally Posted by onlyforleisure
I have been interested in this forum because I had my membership fee renewal come up the same day as I received the email from amex about cancelling the 2-4-1. In all fairness when I signed up for this card it was for 2 reasons the 25,000 mr points and the 2-4-1. As much as I tried probably about a dozen times I was never able to find anything useful on 2-4-1. That said as an average Amex Plat member with a normal lifestyle I have found was to justify my card. First off added three additional cards for three family members who split the annual fee with me. We were adding it up the other day for the year and realized that combined we add used airport lounges about 100 times including stopovers and even sometimes when we landed to get a drink or use the bathroom while waiting for luggage. Saved about $200 when amex put us on two comp lists for clubs in las vegas. In terms of the fhr program I used it three times one time for five rooms in vegas(I booked 3 my sister the other two) we paid under 200 a night for three nights and recieved $800 for breakfast and $500 for the spa which was all used. Two other times we used it again for nice hotels that were under $200 and saved over $300 in meals plus a $100 for a resort credit. Besided this I have add the concierge help with travel and other info an a bunch of occasions.
All this said there are many ways to justify the fee and when I renewed the CSR agent apologized for the cancellation of 2-4-1 and explained the complaints for to high and then are working on a similiar deal which hopefully will be in place by early next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.