Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
I got the notice in the mail this week and I'm really disappointed. I have used this and it worked well. Glad they gave me some time, as I'll try to book one last trip before it ends.

I think this is a mistake on their part. The only remaining reason I'll hold the card is for the club room access. They take that away and I'm done.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
i just got the letter today....boo!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:26 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I paid for a plat card for one year specifically because of the domestic 241 benefit, used it 3 times, and got good value. I elected not to renew because anticipated travel would not make use of the 241 deal. I had planned to get a new plat card next year, again for the domestic 241 benefit, but now I will not.

I never charged anything on the card except for the 241 fares. I suspect I'm not the kind of customer Amex will miss (at least for this card - I'm a good customer for the other Amex cards I have).
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
My read was the you had to complete the booking transaction by Nov. 15th, and it only works up to 6 months out, so latest travel will be in March '09.
To follow up onsbm12's helpful comment, can I ask if anyone could be so kind to tell us how far out you have been able to book since this latest announcement? Maybe this is a premature request because AMEX's cancellation has been so recent.

I know, I should just call and ask how far one could book out but I'm afraid API will not be that helpful and I don't know where else I would want to go yet for leisure! The possibility of obtaining a 2 for 1 ticket deal might affect where I might go and how much I'm willing to spend on the hotel and whether to use freq. flyer miles.

Also, sbm12, did you mean that the latest travel would be May of 09? I just realized 6 months after Nov. 15th would be May 15th, right?

Thank you!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by studentbecometeacher
To follow up onsbm12's helpful comment, can I ask if anyone could be so kind to tell us how far out you have been able to book since this latest announcement? Maybe this is a premature request because AMEX's cancellation has been so recent.

I know, I should just call and ask how far one could book out but I'm afraid API will not be that helpful and I don't know where else I would want to go yet for leisure! The possibility of obtaining a 2 for 1 ticket deal might affect where I might go and how much I'm willing to spend on the hotel and whether to use freq. flyer miles.

Also, sbm12, did you mean that the latest travel would be May of 09? I just realized 6 months after Nov. 15th would be May 15th, right?

Thank you!
Actually, I called today and asked this very question. To put your mind at ease, they were no more or less helpful than they ever are. She was quite pleasant answering my questions.

Basically, it was explained to me that the way they are winding it down is all travel must be booked by Nov 15th, 2008. She stated that the last day of travel would be May 31st, 2009. I stated this understanding back to her to ensure I understood clearly. She confirmed I had understood correctly.

Obviously, Nov. 15 to May 31st would be about 2 1/2 weeks greater than 6 months. Not sure if they are just being nice in winding down and trying to allow folks to obtain final remaining value from the program or what.

However, the part I didn't clarify, and thought of after hanging up, is I think it basically still is a six month type rule. For example, if you booked it today, I'm not sure if that means you could still travel by May 31st, or if in accordance with the six month rule, you need that travel reservation to occur by roughly April 11th? I'll probably need to reconfirm that one.

Regards
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by scubadu
However, the part I didn't clarify, and thought of after hanging up, is I think it basically still is a six month type rule. For example, if you booked it today, I'm not sure if that means you could still travel by May 31st, or if in accordance with the six month rule, you need that travel reservation to occur by roughly April 11th? I'll probably need to reconfirm that one.
I cannot imagine that they would change the 6 month outside limit on the ticketing at this point, so I think that you're looking at April right now and May in a month and then the program is done.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I cannot imagine that they would change the 6 month outside limit on the ticketing at this point, so I think that you're looking at April right now and May in a month and then the program is done.
I tend to agree with your assessment and that is how I'm planning to try and map out a few trips in order to extract some value and allow me to feel comfortable keeping the card at least until my next renewal period.

Additionally, one thing I'd like to throw out as I evaluate my own decision to keep this card or not, and I apologize if this is off topic and should become a new thread. I'm curious for those that might have had a platinum card over the years, when Amex drops a significant benefit like this I assume it ticks off quite a few people. Is there any chance they might be looking for some type of new benefit to add to the card in lieu of this? In the current economy I suppose they may not be, but heres hoping!

Regards
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Should I stay or should I go?

Well, let's see. In one year with Plat I have used the following and derived some value:
1. Hertz status (nice rental car upgrade, incl. NeverLost, b/c I am AlwaysLost)
2. SPG status (bonus points, free breakfast)
3. Concierge (arranged a gift certificate for Christmas gift)
4. Domestic 2-4-1 (saved ~$200)
5. Point transfers (mainly Priority Club, which got me Plat status there and Frontier, which is less valuable now that tickets cost 20k instead of 15k)
6. Purchase Protection (for an uncovered event, which the CSR said was covered as a special exception for "valued cardmembers")
7. Nicer CSRs than with Blue.
8. FHR (discounted rate, free massage, and free breakfast at THEhotel)
9. Airport lounge access (~6 visits although www.skyguideclub.com would probably work just as well, if not better)
10. Fine Dining Reservation (used twice for special occasions, when restaurants were fully booked)
11. 25k MR sign-up bonus

I am surprised by the number of features I have used, but I may downgrade to Gold and see if I miss the Plat features (and see if I get any retention bonus or upgrade bonus after I have Gold for awhile).

Last edited by boulderlaw; Nov 3, 2008 at 9:33 am
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by boulderlaw
Well, let's see. In one year with Plat I have used the following and derived some value:
<snip>
5. Point transfers (mainly Priority Club, which got me Plat status there and Frontier, which is less valuable now that tickets cost 25k instead of 15k)
<snip>
This is not a feature of the Platinum card. You'd get it with any card that is in the MR program.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:26 pm

This is not a feature of the Platinum card. You'd get it with any card that is in the MR program.
True, with any amex charge card (i.e., not the credit cards). Some of the other features I listed are not Plat specific either.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by boulderlaw
Some of the other features I listed are not Plat specific either.
Which ones? They all look plat/cent to me, other than that one.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:50 pm

Which ones? They all look plat/cent to me, other than that one.
Purchase protection (e.g., most amex cards) and concierge (e.g., Visa Signature).
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CO PLT, UA Exec Prem, Marriott Silver, SPG PLT, HHonors Diamond, AmEx PLT, Avis First
Thumbs down not happy

I called the other day and confirmed that this was going away.

When I told the agent that this really the only benefit besides the lounge access that I use and asked her if there was anyway that AmEx would drop the fee for the 1 year to $300 (price of the Corporate PLT Card) since I was going to downgrade to that. She replied "No." I said "You know that, or you are going to check on that for me and get back to me." She replied "I know that."

I have no use for the card anymore and will save myself $150 by downgrading to the Corporate PLT Card.

BOOOOOOO AmEx!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
has anyone had any luck having amex adjust their fees due to this? id really hate to close my acct when my year is up but i really cant justify $450 a year for a card who gets me almost no benefits now.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
has anyone had any luck having amex adjust their fees due to this? id really hate to close my acct when my year is up but i really cant justify $450 a year for a card who gets me almost no benefits now.
Given that on another thread you are asking about the global transfer programme -- wait until you have availed yourself of it -- and then close your account.

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.