Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:31 pm

Got the Plat Info today as well. Don't worry it is just that all banks currently have a tough time. Airport Lounges Access will not go away. The Companion Ticket was just a matter of time since airlines got rid of planes and employees left and right due to the oil crisis. They will add some kind of new feature to the card soon and everyone will be happy again.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Big devaluation Hopefully they will reconsider next year??
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:22 am

Programs: DL DM

Last edited by underattack; Oct 20, 2009 at 6:04 pm
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:53 pm

Hmmm... my plat is gone...I'm voting with my wallet...(or what will no longer be in mine)

The use of the concierge is frustrating at best. Nothing else is of value to me besides the Dom 241 and the lounge. I'm trying AMEX's Executive Privilege Club- that reimburses for lounge access (can't verify if this is any good-- I just joined). Note: to others that are interested and have another AMEX card. There is a reduced rate for AMEX (any color, credit or charge) cardholders. They gave me something like $29 for 6 months and then $89 a year (I think $89 a year was their standard rate for AMEX holders.) I wonder if the Exec Club concierge is any better, but it can't be worse than my Plat concierge experience.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
ok so i just talked to a person at Plat travel and was asking about using the dom and international 2-4-1s, and got some rather odd reply's, im planning on going to study abroad with a friend of mine next fall so we would be flying out mid sept 09, i asked about using the domestic 241 to get from here (MN) to NYC, and then the international 241 to get from NYC to London....he said that the domestic 241 will only let u fly through dec 31st 08....and then no restrictions on dates for the international 241 (even though the international 241 info page on amex website says it ends on Dec 31st....)

odd?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
ok so i just talked to a person at Plat travel and was asking about using the dom and international 2-4-1s, and got some rather odd reply's, im planning on going to study abroad with a friend of mine next fall so we would be flying out mid sept 09, i asked about using the domestic 241 to get from here (MN) to NYC, and then the international 241 to get from NYC to London....he said that the domestic 241 will only let u fly through dec 31st 08....and then no restrictions on dates for the international 241 (even though the international 241 info page on amex website says it ends on Dec 31st....)

odd?
You know that you can use the IAP from MSP to LON, right? And I'd say that the agent you spoke with was wrong on the domestic bit. I answered your question about the IAP in one of the other places you posted it here tonight.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Consequences of cancelling PLAT AMEX

This is a related if slightly OT question. I have a number of FHR reservations for Spring 2009. If I cancel my PLAT AMEX card as a result of the upcoming 2-4-1 change (or for any reason, I suppose) in late 2008, what happens to these reservations? That is, (1) will AMEX automatically cancel reservations reserved against my AMEX PLAT card that I booked through the FHR desk; and (2) can I still get the FHR benefit when I check in and pay with ANOTHER (not-PLAT) AMEX card? I assume the answer to the first question is no--AMEX won't cancel my reservation automatically. But what about question (2)? I know that it's NOT required that I pay with the PLAT AMEX (vs. another AMEX) to receive the FHR benefit. But what if I'm not, at the time, a PLAT AMEX cardholder? And, to make it a bit more complicated, in my case, all nights for the reservation in question have ALREADY BEEN PAID as a result of the hotel's deposit policies (Hotel Hana Maui). So, arguably I HAVE paid for the hotels on my PLAT AMEX card (even if it will be cancelled by the time I arrive). Just trying to figure out how to time my likely cancellation.... Thanks.

Last edited by jgold; Oct 24, 2008 at 10:15 pm Reason: Incorrectly listed a hotel
Old Oct 18, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jgold
This is a related if slightly OT question. I have a number of FHR reservations for Spring 2009. If I cancel my PLAT AMEX card as a result of the upcoming 2-4-1 change (or for any reason, I suppose) in late 2008, what happens to these reservations... snip ... Just trying to figure out how to time my likely cancellation.... Thanks.
So, I suspect someone might chime in with their observations/opinions. However, this is a pretty specific and probably somewhat uncommon situation (i.e. folks considering canceling platinum due to 2-4-1 program w/multiple, pending FHR reservations).

However, wouldn't the quickest, most definitive option be for you to simply pick up the phone, call FHR directly, and just ask them?

Unless somebody here has had the exact same situation your describing and can tell you what the outcome was, anything else would be pure speculation. And incorrect speculation won't help you at checkin time!

Regards
Old Oct 18, 2008, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
However, wouldn't the quickest, most definitive option be for you to simply pick up the phone, call FHR directly, and just ask them?
I did call the PLAT FHR desk before posting this, but all I can say is that their answer didn't inspire confidence. That is, the agent I spoke with repeatedly insisted that I could only pay for an FHR reservation with a Platinum card, rather than any AMEX card. So, we never quite reached the question of whether I could pay with another AMEX card when the PLAT card wasn't valid any more.

Originally Posted by scubadu
However, this is a pretty specific and probably somewhat uncommon situation (i.e. folks considering canceling platinum due to 2-4-1 program w/multiple, pending FHR reservations).
Actually, the problem with my posting is probably the opposite, in that it's too general vis-a-vis this specific thread (since it relates to cancelling the PLAT AMEX card for any reason, and not just for the 2-4-1 program). So perhaps this is too off-topic. (Although, for the record, I don't think it's so uncommon that someone might cancel their PLAT AMEX while an FHR reservation is pending.)

Moderator, if I've strayed too far off-topic please feel free to move this to a separate thread (and apologies). Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I have paid for FHR reservations with non-Plat Amex cards. In most cases I imagine hotels wouldn't actually require payment with Amex, either, though it's technically in the conditions. Perhaps others have had different experiences?
Old Oct 18, 2008, 1:21 pm

Address to direct complaints

I called the platinum line and was told the benefit was discontinued because few members were utilizing it. When I probed further, their idea of few was 30%. They of course plan no decrease in annual fee for removing the benefit and naturally in the card contract they can take away anything at any time for any reason. The name and address to directly contact consumer relations regarding this issue is as follows:

Doria Camaraza
Consumer Relations
AESC-FTL
777 American Express Way
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33337
Old Oct 18, 2008, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by drbugs
I called the platinum line and was told the benefit was discontinued because few members were utilizing it. When I probed further, their idea of few was 30%. They of course plan no decrease in annual fee for removing the benefit and naturally in the card contract they can take away anything at any time for any reason. The name and address to directly contact consumer relations regarding this issue is as follows:

Doria Camaraza
Consumer Relations
AESC-FTL
777 American Express Way
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33337
Wouldn't few members using this translate to it being good value to them? I cannot imagine more than 30% of cardholders use the IAP program, but that isn't going away. The only legit justification for killing the program is that it is costing them too much money, not that it is costing them too little.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 6:52 pm

I could be wrong, but you may want to verify that you are getting FHR benefits at the Four Seasons, as I do not believe the Big Island participates as part of FHR, so you should be fine with using a different card there.

Originally Posted by jgold
...and Four Seasons on the Big Island
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by J0HN
I could be wrong, but you may want to verify that you are getting FHR benefits at the Four Seasons, as I do not believe the Big Island participates as part of FHR, so you should be fine with using a different card there.
Thanks, I mis-remembered that one. I'm actually holding just a regular reservation there. The Hotel Hana Maui, though, is booked at the FHR rate, which is about $50 cheaper than the normal rate (and that's not even counting the FHR amenities). My impression based on several calls with the FHR desk (90% of whom initially claim that the reservation has to be paid for on the PLAT AMEX card (although they eventually agree that any AMEX card is okay)) is that I can probably get away with presenting my (cancelled) PLAT AMEX card at check-in and then substituting another card. But there is a risk that the hotel may somehow assess the card's validity, in which case I might be in a not-great position. So, I'm probably going to take the risk, but I'd appreciate if anyone could let me know if that hasn't worked for them. Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I am gone from AMEX Plat

With NW DL merger happening, I decided to bit the bullet and get a lifetime WC membership as DL was going to recognize it. The card is useless without the 2 for 1 benefit to me. I just got the DL AMEX card. I will not lose my points as I still have a Corp AMEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.