Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping concierge for AMX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2008, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Tipping concierge for AMX

I had a great, amazing experience with the AMX plat. concierge. Usually at hotels when this happens, I give a large tip to the concierge. How do I tip the person at AMX plat concierge or is it even necassry?

Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2008, 4:20 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Don't know how to do it, but I know that a letter to the head of customer service extolling the praises of the concierge is always appropriate and appreciated.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 5:25 pm

I have heard that others have sent in gifts to the Circles offices FAO the particular concierge.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
It's always necessary to tip the concierge if you as the guest feel that the service warranted such. Too many people fail to grasp this.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:15 pm
Original Member

And I can't believe the number of people who don't know it's necessary to tip FlyerTalkers who make valuable posts. The nerve of some people!

QL
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
It's always necessary to tip the concierge if you as the guest feel that the service warranted such. Too many people fail to grasp this.
How do you even go about tipping a phone concierge?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by gamer83
How do you even go about tipping a phone concierge?
See Post #3. In the case of AmEx, whatever the user wants to send can be sent to the attention of the concierge via the Circles offices.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
QL

CM - perhaps you have a personal interest in this
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet

CM - perhaps you have a personal interest in this
Indeed I do.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: Amex Personal Centurion, Amex Business Centurion(cancelled), Merril+, CitiGold, JP Morgan Palladium
This past Saturday while in NYC, I tried to reach Centurion Concierge at around 6pm and it took well over 10 minutes for them to answer. Not only that, I had asked for reservations to a restaurant and never got the call back from the concierge after waiting another 15 minutes. I called back, waited again for 10 more minutes to connect to another concierge and this time I told her I wanted to hold while she calls the restaurant. Five minutes later, she saids they are book solid and could not find anything for that restaurant. Altogether, I had wasted over 40 minutes waiting and being put on hold... Not only that, she did not even apologize about what happened to the other concierge that was suppose to call me back. Somehow she did know that I had called for that particular reservation and was able to retrieve the restaurants info from that without me repeating again. Centurion concierge certainly improved on tracking calls...but, in terms of service...it is still lacking.

I think tipping is the last thing on my mind...
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tipping should be the last thing on your mind after that story. Were you staying at a hotel at the time? Go downstairs and get the table in person if so, no?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:50 am

Tipping should be the last thing on your mind after that story. Were you staying at a hotel at the time? Go downstairs and get the table in person if so, no?
But if he has Cent and wants them to make the reservation, it's their job do do so isn't it? I just think it's odd for concierges to expect tips when they aren't fulfilling simple requests. Now if you have a personal concierge via Cent, and maybe over the course of the year they have been stellar, I could see sending a nice Christmas gift.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if he has Cent and wants them to make the reservation, it's their job do do so isn't it?
Sure. I'm not saying that it isn't. But if you're encountering a problem with Centurion, why not make use of another source that may be able to help?

I just think it's odd for concierges to expect tips when they aren't fulfilling simple requests.
Which is precisely why I said:

Tipping should be the last thing on your mind after that story.
Did I make it sound like someone who doesn't get the job done should be deserving of a tip? No, I didn't.

Now if you have a personal concierge via Cent, and maybe over the course of the year they have been stellar, I could see sending a nice Christmas gift.
Indeed, I would agree. Same goes for the stellar service you receive if you frequent one particular hotel or have an apartment building concierge.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:17 pm
BLV

Only on one occasion I felt that a concierge went above and beyond what I had requested and I ended up sending her flowers.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BLV
Only on one occasion I felt that a concierge went above and beyond what I had requested and I ended up sending her flowers.
Did you call her (or a different concierge) to arrange the flowers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.