Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Amex negotiate annual fees?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by EliaZinn
I have a personal platinum card that i spend apx. 550k/yr. My card was just renewed. I called twice to get a reduction (...)
Does somebody spending half a million on a personal Amex card really care about the annual fee ...?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by ahrz
Does somebody spending half a million on a personal Amex card really care about the annual fee ...?
ahrz, i don't really mind the fee, it just bugs me that i see other people getting away with it and i am not able to. I have paid the fee since 1993. Although, i get many other card offerings, most with fees as well, that offer me similar benefits. I will probably stick with the card and that is why i never threatened to leave.
Old May 4, 2010, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Okto
Not to change the topic too much, but I'm also somewhat perplexed by Platinum cardholders willingness to pay ~$500 as benefits drop. What's the biggest perk these days? Lounge access for a couple of airlines?
I called yesterday to cancel my Platinum Amex because I have another version of the same thing, and just recently got an SPG credit card as well

To convince me not to cancel the original, they offered to waive fees permanently going forward, as long as I held the other Amex Platinum charge card. When I pointed out I had already paid the fees for this year, they offered to refund those as well.

So I sill have my Platinum Amex, for free, plus a positive credit for this year's fees.

Cheers,
Old May 4, 2010, 5:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flews
...have another version of the same...
Are all of your cards issued in Canada?
Old May 5, 2010, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by mia
Are all of your cards issued in Canada?
Yes.

Cheers,
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Plat
Called AmEx today, as my SPG anuual fee just came around. I spend a few thousand a month on the card.

When I asked about waiving the fee the guy at the cancellation department asked me if there was "some offer I would like to reference, or some department I would like to be referred to" as if there was some sort of secret password I should know. I asked for the retention department (was not connected without asking for it by name) and was denied any fee waiver or bonus miles from them.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by ericd102
When I asked about waiving the fee the guy at the cancellation department asked me if there was "some offer I would like to reference, or some department I would like to be referred to" as if there was some sort of secret password I should know. I asked for the retention department (was not connected without asking for it by name) and was denied any fee waiver or bonus miles from them.
How odd. It makes me wonder if there's an offer floating around somewhere, though I suppose he could have just been being coy about the magic words that would trigger the proper script. Many places have those. Sometimes it's funny to follow along.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by ahrz
That card might be a Platinum card with a $450 annual fee... or maybe a centurion with a $2500 annual fee
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
Centurion fee waiving (US and/or Canada)

I know it's been asked before, but I can't seem to find any recent threads discussing the issue. I was invited to the Canadian Centurion back about 6 months ago from my Canadian Platinum Card, and told them I wouldn't do it unless they waived the 5K initiation fee. I only put about 100K a year on that card, but I've read that in Canada they invited more based on personal net worth, etc.

I recently got an American Delta SkyMiles Platinum Amex Card in the US (not the "true" Amex Platinum, just the Delta SkyMiles Platinum), but I should be putting on about 750K in purchases by the end of the calendar year. Henceforth, I expect an invite to US Centurion.

Has anyone actually had personal success (or know of anyone that has) in terms of waiving at least the initiation fee (ideally the annual fee as well :P)?
I can show them statements of other VISA cards that I charge about 4-5 mil per year on, and see if they would do anything, but at least in Canada, they wouldn't budge at all.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience or offer suggestions/comments? Much appreciated; thank you.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by tingalex
I know it's been asked before, but I can't seem to find any recent threads discussing the issue. I was invited to the Canadian Centurion back about 6 months ago from my Canadian Platinum Card, and told them I wouldn't do it unless they waived the 5K initiation fee. I only put about 100K a year on that card, but I've read that in Canada they invited more based on personal net worth, etc.

I recently got an American Delta SkyMiles Platinum Amex Card in the US (not the "true" Amex Platinum, just the Delta SkyMiles Platinum), but I should be putting on about 750K in purchases by the end of the calendar year. Henceforth, I expect an invite to US Centurion.

Has anyone actually had personal success (or know of anyone that has) in terms of waiving at least the initiation fee (ideally the annual fee as well :P)?
I can show them statements of other VISA cards that I charge about 4-5 mil per year on, and see if they would do anything, but at least in Canada, they wouldn't budge at all.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience or offer suggestions/comments? Much appreciated; thank you.
Perhaps you could up your spend a bit to become eligible for the much coveted AMEX Pearl. You're clearly a person above the chicanery that mere Centurions are subject to. More info and benefits can be found here.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
Originally Posted by JNB280
Perhaps you could up your spend a bit to become eligible for the much coveted AMEX Pearl. You're clearly a person above the chicanery that mere Centurions are subject to. More info and benefits can be found here.
Does the "Pearl" even exist [not sure if I'm maybe missing sarcasm here lol]? I can't seem to find anything on google relating to it. The closest thing I can find is a white card called Amex "Zync" which is youth-oriented, not exclusive or anything.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the "Pearl" even exist [not sure if I'm maybe missing sarcasm here lol]? I can't seem to find anything on google relating to it. The closest thing I can find is a white card called Amex "Zync" which is youth-oriented, not exclusive or anything.
Please bear in mind that the majority of that thread appeared on or around April 1.....
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Please bear in mind that the majority of that thread appeared on or around April 1.....
Ahhh, thank you for that. The humor was obvious towards the end of the thread, but the earlier posts seemed fact-filled and serious. Give the new FlyerTalk member a break Hah, thanks though
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Give the new FlyerTalk member a break ...
If you look at the thread linked in my original reply and use Search this Thread with they keyword Centurion I think you will find relevant responses.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:18 am

I am sure they would do it for some high profiles but not for us regular people. If you want to be in the Fraternity, you gotta go through the same intitiation as everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.