Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Amex negotiate annual fees?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Which makes sense. for low spenders, Amex makes their money on the annual fee, which is why they have not lowered it or gotten rid of it, even in the face of stiff CC competition. (Besides which, take the # of amex subscribers and muitiply with a weighted average annual fee for the various cards. That's a pretty big number)
No, it wasn't a wise move for AMEX. Here's why: the person was a life-long card member. They weren't making much $$ off of him, but he was an evangelist for their product, and he influenced bigger spenders like me. Gosh, I might spend $30M with AMEX in my lifetime; but then I might retire one day and spend much less. When that happens, I must now assume they won't comp my annual fee. This makes me less likely to AMEX, and I know I am valuable to them.

Granted, it is very hard for a company like AMEX to measure & model the business value of influencers like my friend. Marketing technology hasn't evolved that far yet.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
By that measure they might end up comping everybody, since evrybody can be influencers. Sure, even assuming that you will spend $30M with Amex (something that statistcally is extremely unlikely), chances of Amex knowing that are virtually nil. Based on available information, they did the right thing.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:18 pm
KTW

I have seen them waive the $7,500 for first year U.S Centurion. I do not know if "they" had to keep paying the $2,500 yearly. I have not asked so I do not know if they would ever waive the $395 fee I pay for my card. It seems it would be on a case by case basis.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 1:35 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Amex should consider waiving fees (under $500 say) for long-standing members--40 or 50 years (continuous) membership might be the criterion.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Which makes sense. for low spenders, Amex makes their money on the annual fee, which is why they have not lowered it or gotten rid of it, even in the face of stiff CC competition. (Besides which, take the # of amex subscribers and muitiply with a weighted average annual fee for the various cards. That's a pretty big number)
If that's so, why then my case that I documented in post #11 above (with Amex not charging me annual fees the second year, and in one case reinstating a card I cancelled to avoid the annual fee and reinstating it without charging an annual fee). Are they just waiting for me to use the card again and then hit me with the fee? (There is no lower spend than no spend, is there? I stopped spending completely on each card in anticipation of the annual fee hitting.)
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If that's so, why then my case that I documented in post #11 above (with Amex not charging me annual fees the second year, and in one case reinstating a card I cancelled to avoid the annual fee and reinstating it without charging an annual fee). Are they just waiting for me to use the card again and then hit me with the fee? (There is no lower spend than no spend, is there? I stopped spending completely on each card in anticipation of the annual fee hitting.)
I don't think your case is related to any business logic I'm familar with. One of two things is happening. Either the already fairly buggy Amex website is playing jedi mindtricks with you, or they did not properly cancel the card.

What is clear is that Amex is willing to contmeplate comping some or all of the fees, and that this is dependent on spend level. (I'm sure they'll take other things into account too, and waive the fee for Jerry Seinfeld even if he ddin't spend that much - which I'm sure he does.)
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold
Not sure why, but AE just credited my Corporate Green card $50 for Membership reward annual fee. I just joined MR in July and had a fee for $75. Not complaining, but can't figure out why.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:08 pm

I have never heard of Amex comping Centurion signup or annual fees. In fact, the reps are specifically told to say that doesn't happen.

I am disinclined to believe this based on one person's "I heard this happened." Perhaps more detail?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
in my opinion, even tho it may be a rule that they dont comp fees, EVERY rule has exceptions. perhaps they arent clearly stated exceptions but im sure amex like any other company bends its own rules for select people.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by BertG
I'm using Delta Amex Plat less this year, so I called them to see if they would comp or partly comp my annual fee. The answer was no. Change cards was the CSR's suggestion.
Anyone else have any luck?
Like others have said, If you threaten to cancel they may waive the fees, or give you bonus points.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by dr84
Like others have said, If you threaten to cancel they may waive the fees, or give you bonus points.
or cancel your account
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:22 pm

Or, initiate a Financial Review.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by best
Or, initiate a Financial Review.
with a freeze of all of your amex accounts
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:40 pm

One friend got their fees comped for 3 years: past year, plus next two years in future..
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by best
One friend got their fees comped for 3 years: past year, plus next two years in future..
how? high spender/etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.