Wiki Posts
Search

Does Amex negotiate annual fees?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
how? high spender/etc?
Must be spending a lot more than me! As one data point, I put about $46K on a Rewards Plus Gold Card this past year, almost 90% of which was plane tickets and hotel stays.

Called today to see if they would comp next year's $200 fee. The phone rep, who was quite friendly, told me that the most she could offer was a $55 credit or 5500 MR points.

I intended to ditch the "charge card" entirely since I have a Blue card to keep the account alive, but according to the rep the Blue card would not offer me the option cash in my MR points for frequent flyer miles.

So I downgraded to a green Amex card at $95 a year.

But is there a lower-fee option to keep my MR points with the option to cash them in for miles?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by MikeInMass

So I downgraded to a green Amex card at $95 a year.

But is there a lower-fee option to keep my MR points with the option to cash them in for miles?
No. You must have a charge card to be able to redeem at a decent redemption rate.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Platinum Card Annual Fee

Mine recently billed and I was debating whether to continue with the card. Do you have any recent experience requesting a fee waiver/reduction? Any suggested methods to approach this?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bas5838
Mine recently billed and I was debating whether to continue with the card. Do you have any recent experience requesting a fee waiver/reduction? Any suggested methods to approach this?
I called in mid-January 2009 to downgrade to the Gold Rewards Plus card after my annual fee billed at the end of December 2008, and while I didn't ask, at no point did they offer to comp or reduce my fee. The CSR happily processed my downgrade (I don't even recall an attempt to make me reconsider), and refunded me $412.50 and charged me $137.50 (prorated amounts for the membership fees).

Again, I didn't ask, but she didn't offer, so I don't know how accomodating they are about this.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:11 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jackal
I called in mid-January 2009 to downgrade to the Gold Rewards Plus card after my annual fee billed at the end of December 2008, and while I didn't ask, at no point did they offer to comp or reduce my fee. The CSR happily processed my downgrade (I don't even recall an attempt to make me reconsider), and refunded me $412.50 and charged me $137.50 (prorated amounts for the membership fees).

Again, I didn't ask, but she didn't offer, so I don't know how accomodating they are about this.
This was my same experience a few weeks ago.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bas5838
Mine recently billed ...
Your profile shows that you are a Centurion cardholder, do you have both Centurion and Platinum?

You may also wish to review this 2008 thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nual-fees.html
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
I asked if it was possible to get any sort of discount on the annual fee as I'd been a loyal customer/member for a long while blah blah blah

Answer was a quick, simple, without 2 seconds of though "No we currently don't offer blah blah blah."

Good luck.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:42 pm

Smile

I called to cancel a few weeks back, as I found that I was not really using the platinum benefits.

I was placed on hold, then sent to a dedicated platinum card agent, who offered me a credit of $300 if I would retain my card through the end of the plan year. I had not asked for any credit or discount whatsover, I just called to downgrade to the gold card.

The agent advised me that it was the maximum Amex would offer me.

I took it, and will decide upon renewal whether to downgrade. The credit showed up on my account within 24 hours.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: Starwood
When I called last summer to cancel the SPG card they gave me 5,000 to stick around.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Another possibility could be to see if they will waive for Costco members. I know that the only card they officially comp the fee on is the dual-branded "Costco AMEX TrueEarnings" but there may some room there.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:39 pm

Noticed my Platinum annual fee hit my statement. Called with no intention of asking for a fee reduction. Specifically asked to downgrade my card to a Premier Rewards Gold for $175 + 1 free card for my spouse whom I am already paying for her existing Gold card.

With the reward points enhanced for the Premier card, I should be good for now. Thanks all for your contributions to this thread.

Regards
Old Feb 18, 2010, 2:38 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by longtimereader
When I called last summer to cancel the SPG card they gave me 5,000 to stick around.
When I called to cancel my SPG biz card a few months ago they offered nada.

And, last time I called about the SPG personal fee they offered nothing, year before, offer was 400 Starpoints.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by jackal

Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
This was my same experience a few weeks ago.
Ditto. Called and said that I wasn't getting value out of the platinum benefits and wanted to downgrade to Gold Premier. CSR just said "No problem, I can do that for you". No effort to retain.

At least I got the 50K upgrade bonus when I went platinum last year
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:37 am

called today, was offered double MR pts for 3 months, told that the annual fee is not negotiable.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:58 am

call and ask nicely for Double MR pts for 3 Months - UK members

called Amex few days ago, asked nicely is my plat qualified for reduced anual fee, i am very happy with the card, not intended to cancel the card, etc, was told the anual fee is not negotiable, but was offered double points for 3 months, so now i am earning 2.5 pts/£ with the points accelerator for the next 3 months,even better than a fee waiver in my case, if ur annual fee is due soon, give amex a call, and ask nicely, 3 months double pts i worth a few mins phone call! ^

ps. was not expecting anything before calling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.