Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Amex negotiate annual fees?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by under the clocks
same experience here. just another failure of the program which I can throw up when I re-negotiate next years annual fee.

Did you negotiate this year's fee? Do tell.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by buffcoat
Did you negotiate this year's fee? Do tell.
Yes I did. I received particularly poor service on a number of occasions, and as a result the annual fee was reduced. As a further jesture my MR account was also credited with bonus points.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:00 am
jsq

Programs: ual, aa, co, delta, centurion
what card did you negotiate a reduction on?

Originally Posted by under the clocks
Yes I did. I received particularly poor service on a number of occasions, and as a result the annual fee was reduced. As a further jesture my MR account was also credited with bonus points.
was it a plat, gold, green or centurion. or affiliate??

thanks,
jsq
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
My father often negotiated his Centurion annual fee for the same reason the poster in here indicated. Poor service. The key is comprehensive documentation of the offense(s).

I haven't had to this with mine, I have had nothing but great service.

With our Business Platinum, I actually have not paid an annual fee in over 5 years. We call in each year and get it waived based on spend and paid use of other American Express services.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by jsq
was it a plat, gold, green or centurion. or affiliate??

thanks,
jsq
centurion
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Cancelling Card- Given Credit

I called to cancel my Gold card today as the fee came due and was given an option of $120 credit or 20,000 points so decided to keep the card. I probably average $2-3,000 monthly on the card.

Last edited by holocker; Mar 17, 2010 at 11:09 am
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:49 pm
In memoriam

My Starwood Amex personal card annual fee of $45 showed up recently. Always the optimist, I called Amex and asked about waiving the fee or perhaps getting double points or some such for keeping the card.

Unfortunately, the lady with a lovely Jamaican accent had nothing for me, no waiver no bonus. So I said I'd think it over.

Anyone had any luck with Amex on an SPG card lately, fee waiver or bonus wise?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:16 pm

Reduced fee on Starwood card, refused to change it dor Delta?????
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
My Starwood Amex personal card annual fee of $45 showed up recently. Always the optimist, I called Amex and asked about waiving the fee or perhaps getting double points or some such for keeping the card.

Unfortunately, the lady with a lovely Jamaican accent had nothing for me, no waiver no bonus. So I said I'd think it over.

Anyone had any luck with Amex on an SPG card lately, fee waiver or bonus wise?
I received a credit to my SPG AMEX. I did not call. I sent an email from the AMEX site.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
My father often negotiated his Centurion annual fee for the same reason the poster in here indicated. Poor service. The key is comprehensive documentation of the offense(s).

I haven't had to this with mine, I have had nothing but great service.

With our Business Platinum, I actually have not paid an annual fee in over 5 years. We call in each year and get it waived based on spend and paid use of other American Express services.
Hmm....I've never tried, but we have only 2 cards in the family, and probably don't have a solid claim.

Last edited by amberdel; Aug 10, 2010 at 5:43 pm
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:04 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by tondoleo
I received a credit to my SPG AMEX. I did not call. I sent an email from the AMEX site.
Would you be so kind as to let us know just what your email said to get this positive result?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by tondoleo
Yes, please do tell. I'd like to know as well.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:37 pm

just sort of negociated the annual fee on my wife gold business rewards card. Fee is $125 called up first time and got the sorry we cant do anything. Could up again went over to a different dept got a different customer service rep and he was really nice i explained the situation and was asking for any assitance. He said would you like a credit or MR points, i said what are you offering. He mentioned a $75 credit or 10,000 MR points i went with the points. Which was posted within 24 hrs.

Background story over the past 12 months we have spent close on to $500,000 on this card and right now have over 400,000 MR points. This was mainly brought with the US mint coins.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 6:39 am

Cant get a reduction??

I have a personal platinum card that i spend apx. 550k/yr. My card was just renewed. I called twice to get a reduction, didnt threaten to leave, although was not offered anything?? "we would be more then happy to help, although are not able to give annual fee reductions, sorry" Any advice??
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by EliaZinn
I have a personal platinum card that i spend apx. 550k/yr. My card was just renewed. I called twice to get a reduction, didnt threaten to leave, although was not offered anything?? "we would be more then happy to help, although are not able to give annual fee reductions, sorry" Any advice??
Got the same story, ended up downgrading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.