Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted: 50k MRO for $1,500 spend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Targeted: 50k MRO for $1,500 spend

I got a targeted offer for an Amex Blue card with a bonus 50,000 Membership Rewards Options points after $1,500 in spending. They say I can redeem 50k points for $500 in gift cards. The offer refers me to www.americanexpress.com/rewards, which is the MR site.

I thought MR and MRO were different. Am I missing something? Is this as good a deal as it seems? Prior offers I saw were for MR points, not MRO points, but I can't find a website for MRO?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:59 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Here is my understanding, but I cannot point you to any one place to verify it.

1. Membership Rewards and Membership Rewards Options are overlapping, but not identical programs.

2. Green and Gold charge cards that previously participated in Options are no longer offered, but the Options program still exists for credit cards including Blue, The Knot, The Nest and perhaps some of the small business credit cards.

3. To my knowledge the primary difference between Options and the full program has been that twice as many Options points were required for transfers to airline or hotel programs. For example, 2:1 to Delta or 6:1 to Starwood. However, I read that such transfers have now been eliminated altogether.

4. However, if you also have a card that participates in the full Membership Rewards program all points will be comingled and points earned with an Options card will effectively become full Membership Rewards points.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

If nothing else, I probably could find $500 worth of gift cards from the selected stores for 50,000 points. I was happy with a 5% cash back offer on another card a while ago, so 33% back, even if I have to buy gift cards or the like, is not bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.