Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Disappointed in Amex Platinum – Are my standards too high?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.

Well based on reading here and the marketing hype I recently signed up for a plat AMEX and paid the AUD $900 annual fee. I justified this based on what I saw as benefits such as the travel insurance, fine dining, travel services and concierge.

It’s been 2 mths now and I really don’t feel like I have gotten what I have paid for.

1. The travel insurance doesn’t cover rental car excess or unattended bags left in a car (no not just overnight but at all).
2. Concierge is only good for booking transfers and fine dining venues that AMEX hold tables at.
3. I took my mum out to dinner for her birthday at a fine dining venue and had the worst service ever and the worst table. I mean instead of the empty table with the unobstructed view of the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge it was the one up the back, next to the wine station. That didn’t help us stay topped up however, with our glasses being cleared half way through our second bottle instead of being topped up. Even after pointing out that we didn’t feel like we were getting the service we should, things got worse, not better. I spoke with Concierge who said they would call the manager and call me back. That was 4 weeks ago and no return phone call.
4. Yesterday I called Concierge to book two sets of transfers and a fine dining for new years eve, 36 hrs later I have not heard back from them. Is this normal?
5. Yesterday my partner (sup card holder and nominated travel contact) called travel services to book a simple holiday, flights, hotel, rental car. Still nothing back after 30 hrs.
6. Getting a defined list of benefits, such as exactly how and where the 2 for 1 business class flights and how to get the Hertz Gold card is impossible.

My question is, have I been hard done by or are my standards simply too high and I have fallen for the marketing image of a Plat Amex? Your candid feedback is appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
In some of your complaints I do think you have set the standards to high or I can't quite understand what you expect from AMEX.

Point #1 - If this was important to you why didn't you check on these benefits BEFORE applying for the card.

Point #2 - Don't know about Australia but in the US the concierges will also book reservations at other restaurants even if they are not part of the Fine Dining program. Just ask them to make the reservations for you if you don't want to call the restaurant.

Point #3 - AMEX cannot guarantee good service at the restaurant you dine at. I don't know of any credit card company that can. If anyone else does I would like to get their phone # so I can get that credit card. Did you complain at the restaurant? You personally complaining would have been better than calling AMEX and asking them to complain for you.

Point #4 - Should have called you back within 36 hrs. but maybe the restaurant didn't get back to them yet considering the date you want the reservation on.

Point #5 - Should have called you back if it was a simple reservation

Point #6 - You should receive some type of booklet outlining the details of the AMEX Plat. program. Included should be info on the benefits (Herz, Hotel Prog., etc.). As for the 2for1 Business benefit, it various from country to country and to which country you are travelling. To the best of my knowledge there is no written published details on the program in the US (just on the AMEX web site). When you are planning a trip, call the AMEX agent and say you want to book a 2for1 and they will give you the options available. If you are expecting a detailed list of which airlines serve which destinations as part of the AMEX 2for1 program you will never get it because it doesn't exist (to my knowledge).

IMHO you need to keep in mind that there are good and not so good concierges. When you talk to a good one, ask him/her their extension and try to work with them in the future. Overall I think the AMEX Plat. card is a great card but like all card it has its problems. You just cannot expect everything to be perfect all the time. One other thing to keep in mind is that the concierges (at least in the US) are employeed by a seperate company and not AMEX.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:52 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I've had dealings with them multiple times and only once had they failed. OK, my dealings are nothing complex, e.g., recommend me a restaurant, book a table, arrange a bunch of flowers to this city, buy a present based on these criteria, etc... However, they always come through promptly and professionally (except the one time they failed, of course, but I'm not holding that against them).

Re #4, yes, they probably should get back to you by now, but it's New Years Eve... Still you can always ring them again if you're worried.

#5 - The Travel Service is separate from their concierge. To me, there's a clear difference on the level of service you get with the Travel Service than with the concierge. Often, the Travel Service make you feel they're doing you favour, and they'll lose interest if the request is complex. However, their Travel Insurance service is good. One time, I'd them calling me at some ridiculous hours collect half way round the world. They called me within minutes, and dealings with them were quick and professional.

#6 - All those forms should be in your original welcome pack. Alternatively, just ring them up. I think it's the Travel Service that deals with things like Hertz #1 Gold.

I understand the 2 for 1 deal is a bit of a rip-off underneath the surface. The first ticket must be a full fare J ticket, which can cost more than 2 discount (but more restricted) J fares. I can't quite remember, and need to look it up, but I think Thai and Emirates are 2 airlines that take part in this deal.

I agree with Christian, if you find a good concierge, see if you can get his/her extension and deal directly with them from then on.

Last edited by Leumas; Aug 2, 2005 at 12:54 pm
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:13 pm

Programs: CX, EK, AF, EY, LH, NZ, QF, VA, Avis, Hertz, AMEX
Perhaps your expectations are a little unrealistic, but if you had read all the marketing material and comments on this site I don't see how you could have formed too much of a "high standard".

I have held plat card in Aust and NZ for a while now and have found that while the benefits seem to be slowly evaporating, the service is generally pretty good. In Aust, I have only had one bad experience with the concierge (told me there was no space at a restaurant when the actually was). All other dealings have "met expectations".

The major benefit for me, is short-notice companion fares (As Leumas says...if you can pre-book discount J fares, they sometimes work out cheaper). This is where I "make back" my membership fee each year, although I recently used the "Buyer's Advantage" extended warranty service. A $1000 warranty claim (6 months after the manufacturers warranty had expired) was handled by AMEX through their insurer quickly and easily which surprised the hell out of me. The way I look at it, the benefits/savings are going to pay for card several times over this year.

Also, the travel service is great for short-notice or emergency travel (PTS have outdone themselves for me in a couple of emergency situations), but not so flash at planning complex trips where you are looking for discounts. Still, the "normal" assistance I have received has always been OK.

What really interested me about your post was your comments about the restaurant. Someone has already pointed out that you can't expect AMEX to take responsibility for bad service there, but was the restaurant Aria? If so, I'm really surprised. I have made several bookings there via the concierge and always had great tables. The service has always been, in my experience, top-class there as well. It's one restaurant where they usually take a great deal of pride in their service. If it was Aria...maybe you hit a very rare "bad night". I'd go back to the restaurant and register your displeasure directly!
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:15 pm

Programs: swa, hhonors platinum, priority club platinum, choice priv gold, hertz president's club
hi there -- i have been a platinum cvard holder for several years and automatically pay my yearly fee. but i really have never discovered the true benefits. just to charge the topic every so slightly -- what benefits have you gotten from the platinum card.

the two for one flight i have long concluded would only work for me if i had to fly business or first class at the very last minute when there were no discount fares available. i dont expect this to ever happen.

i would like to know the concierge service can actually do. does it cost any extra. what can the concierge service do that i could do on my own.

the "buyers advantage"-- i beleive it gives doubles the warrenty time -- up to a year.
what happens if you have a one year warrenty and then buy an extended service warrenty for two additional years (that would be three years total). does "buyers advantage" work then to add an extra year to make it four years?

what about the travel service -- what rxtra do you get being a platinum member that from the travel service.

i still like being a platinum card holder -- but honestly wonder how i might be able to get more perks out of it.

thanks
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:40 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I totally agree about the 241 tickets.

I've used the concierge to get restaurant reservations which I was unable to obtain from the restaurant directly. I've also used them to shop around for event tickets in the secondary market. I should probably use them more

I have also used the buyer's program - nothing big, but I bought a cell phone clip which snapped apart in less than 2 weeks.

The biggest benefit has probably been the rental rates I've received with National. I figure I've saved about $400 this year vs. the best rates I could get with any other discount I have.

Customer service has been excellent (I know others have had lesser experiences, but so far, so good).
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:17 am

Experience from a AU Platinum card holder.

Your expectations could be a bit unrealistic however you have not helped the situation in my opinion by not following up what in your opinion was poor service.

#1. If you are that concerned call the Platinum service a call during business hours (even though there open 24 hours this area is best dealt with during standard business hours) and ask to speak to someone re the insurance policies. They will transfer you to the underwriters who can answer your questions and concerns in detail. I had some concerns re the policies and after discussing them in detail they are not as harsh as they seem providing you exercise a duty of care.

#2. Although I haven’t booked much in regards to tables via them they should handle any morally and legally correct request within reason. This includes other restaurants.

#3. While AMEX can assist you in following up a complaint ultimately these things are also best handled by yourself directly. If it's a table at a restaurant part of the fine dining partners I'm sure they'd also appreciate to know.

#4. Depends on what was agreered at the time of the booking, for non urgent requests I'd say 48 hours is reasonable.

#5. Same as #4.

#6. There is a pretty complete list of benefits, call the Platinum service and select option 3 (card services) and ask them to send you the booklet and welcome pack. They will also include the Hertz form you need to complete. As for the 2 for 1 airfares they can give general details and that’s all you find in the information, for specific examples speak to Travel.

A earlier post said Travel and Concierge were separate – to my knowledge these teams, especially the after hours teams are highly linked if not the same team for these services.

I’ve had my Platinum card for around 3 years now and also agree with a earlier post that some of the benefits are slowly evaporating. I’ve had a invitation to go to Centurion but decided against it (why is a completely different thread).

For me my general experience has been good, had a few bad ones but they have been quickly dealt with.

A general rule I use when dealing with any company is always take note of the person you speak to and the time of day and date. If your expecting some form of follow up (eg, like a call back) ensure you agree on the time frame for this follow up. This sets the expectation between all parties. If you do not receive that then you have clear grounds to make a complaint. As for following up a complaint with Platinum just ask to speak to one of the team leaders or managers. For the one time I’ve had to do this I’ve had an excellent response.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:19 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Spg Gold, HH Gold, AZ Freccia Alata, Hertz Club Gold
Originally Posted by netaddict
#6. There is a pretty complete list of benefits, call the Platinum service and select option 3 (card services) and ask them to send you the booklet and welcome pack. They will also include the Hertz form you need to complete. As for the 2 for 1 airfares they can give general details and that’s all you find in the information, for specific examples speak to Travel.
What there is in the Welcome Pack ?
Old Aug 7, 2005, 2:48 pm

Rather than just lurking, I thought I'd jump in here. To date me, I have had an AmEx card for 36 years. First green, then gold, and now platinum. I'm not sure how long I've had platinum, but it is at least 10 years. Each year I ask myself why I pay more than Gold, then I use one of the benefits and I don't revert back.
Admittedly, years ago the benefits seemed more useful. Before travel agent fees, I used them all of the time. Now I just do that myself. I have had business occasions to take my wife on 2-for-1 to Europe and rationalized that paid for at least 10 years of fees. Of course, on my own nickel, 2-for-1 would never be used. I do find the restaurant reservations, fine dining, and fine hotels a nice luxury and convenience in a hectic world. When I fly Delta or Continental, the club access is very useful. But it would be nice if the card covered more airlines. I have recently booked a cruise that will give me a shipboard credit and card credit that, at face value, equates to about one year in fees.
In the end, in a flash of honesty, I think I just like the self image of the status of a Platinum card. I am sure that is what AMEX wants. I have probably used enough benefits to pay for it thus far, but I almost canceled at the last fee increase. I can't say what I'll do in the future.
Larry
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: amex, hilton, qantas
I agree with what Maverick says. I find service to be quite good.

I would be interested to hear what benefits are people missing in the last few years. I see a few comments regarding evaporating benefits.

What benefits we should be getting and are not at the moment?

I remember disappearance of SPG status from Platinum list of benefits, for example a few years back. Priority pass is on Centurion list of benefits but not on platinum.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aussieplat
I agree with what Maverick says. I find service to be quite good.

I would be interested to hear what benefits are people missing in the last few years. I see a few comments regarding evaporating benefits.

What benefits we should be getting and are not at the moment?

I remember disappearance of SPG status from Platinum list of benefits, for example a few years back. Priority pass is on Centurion list of benefits but not on platinum.
At least here in the U.S. SPG Gold status is still a benefit.

One lost benefit that I'm still peeved about is you used to get a 4 hour grace period on Hertz car rentals -- so you could keep the car up to 28 hours for only a one day fee. Not sure whether the loss of this was a Hertz or an Amex problem.

The Annual Travel Benefit credit used to be something like $150 with a reasonable purchase requirement. Now it's $100 with a $3000 minimum purchase.

I just booked a cruise on Princess. No "Cruise Privileges" since apparently the cabins were substantially discounted to begin with.

I did get a good FHR rate at the Bellagio in Vegas over July 4th weekend. The lakefront view upgrade and breakfast coupons were worthwhile.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
At least here in the U.S. SPG Gold status is still a benefit.
Can you tell me about this? I upgraded about 2 months ago and didn't get a packet yet or I did and I didn't see anything about SPG Gold Status.

Jelliott
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:26 am

Jelliott just call SPG customerservice and tell them u want to be upgraded to gold due to having an Amex Plat. They'll have you upgraded in a minute, you'll just have to give them your Amex card number plus expiry date
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:58 am

SPG Gold

My previous AMEX Plat (international) card provided SPG Plat .... but last year when it was renewed, I only got SPG Gold SPG Plat was nice .... every stay I got a suite!

Originally Posted by micro
Jelliott just call SPG customerservice and tell them u want to be upgraded to gold due to having an Amex Plat. They'll have you upgraded in a minute, you'll just have to give them your Amex card number plus expiry date
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I often wonder about whether to keep spending the $$ for Platinum but a) I use a number of the features; and b) my assistant finds some aspects very valuable and forbids me from replacing it.

Useful things: a) I rented a car and had the rear window bashed in while skiing in Alberta. I had declined all coverage. They handled it with no problem. I paid nothing.
b) My wife went to Ireland and rented a car. Amex Platinum was, if I remember correctly, the only card which the rental companies would allow you to decline coverage. The insurance cost would have exceeded the car rental cost.
c) I use the CO and NW airline clubs and will use Delta -- I used to use USAir as well -- and only pay for AA and UA or AC clubs.
d) SPG gold is good, though I'd love SPG Platinum. As micro said, I recently stayed at a Sheraton in Sydney and called to make sure I was Gold while I was waiting in LAX. They upgraded with no problem. (Nice hotel, too).
e) the 2 for 1 tickets, which were the original lure, are never cost-effective.
f) getting all the car rental cards is also useful, though these might be free if you just asked Hertz, Avis, National, etc.
g) I think the Medical Evacuation insurance is very good to have.
h) I don't use the concierge, the restaurants or the travel agents. This was never a lure.
i) The magazine is hilarious. There are obviously a lot of people who want the Platinum/Centurion cards for what it says about them (to other people and to themselves). I am rich enough to stupidly spend lots of money. According to Amex, platinum card readers love the conspicuous consumption cast of the magazine.

I'd have to ask my assistant why she likes it so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.