Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
To read previous reports, click HERE.
The thread title mentions "WN" because that is Southwest Airline's IATA code. (SW is assigned to another airline.)

You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase: http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or-
"Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait a day or more before making the purchase. Some reports show it works without waiting, but this is not reliable, and there is no way to know if it will work in your case.

Gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed, as of July 2019.
  • What does usually work is to buy flight tickets less than $109, OR to use gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109.
  • If you buy a ticket and use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it may be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your card or that of an additional cardholder.
  • Fees are often reimbursed in a few days, but it may take up to two weeks. Do not contact American Express.
  • DO NOT CONTACT AMEX about reimbursement of cheap flights. Although it works, by rule it is not eligible.
  • Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.
Print Wikipost

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rrgg
In the app click Membership and under Benefits slide over to the airline fee. The airline is shown in green. Or click All Benefits to find it. If you had a 2023 selection you have a 2024 one. It doesnt get wiped out.
So thats not what mine shows.

Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
In my account, I have $0 and $200 to go because I haven't used any of this yet. Further down, it says "airline selected" (I had Southwest selected last year so I presume it is still that). But nowhere does it actually say Southwest nor does it give me the option to change it. I haven't "chosen" yet this year. Where can I confirm which airline is selected?

Okay, small followup: Under the 35% points back benefit (this is a business plat), I see Southwest. Is it safe to proceed or should I chat with them to confirm?
I think it's safe to proceed. I selected Southwest several years ago and it works every year.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I just switched mine from Delta to SW. I go back and forth.

This year, they said that I should wait 48 hours for the change to take effect. But I asked if it showed Southwest when I log in before 48 hours, can I use it, and they said yes.

In prior years it was immediate. Anyone have it show Southwest after a change but it not work because it wasn't 48 hours?

I think fares will be higher for where I'm booking in 48 hours.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
I just switched mine from Delta to SW. I go back and forth.

This year, they said that I should wait 48 hours for the change to take effect. But I asked if it showed Southwest when I log in before 48 hours, can I use it, and they said yes.

In prior years it was immediate. Anyone have it show Southwest after a change but it not work because it wasn't 48 hours?

I think fares will be higher for where I'm booking in 48 hours.
I changed my other plat to UA from SW and got an immediate email confirming change. Logged out and back in and change was in account. Proceeded to use cc at UA and got the credit 10 days later.
beachfan likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: Amex Platinum
Thankful I have found this thread...so here is the start of my DP:
2/21/24 - purchased 1x @ 98.98 & 1x at 99.01
Stay tuned...
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:21 pm

Hi, I couldn't find any flight close to $100, anybody can help?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Chris Fong
LAX-PHX had one recently for $98. Cant remember the month. I think Ive done ATL-HOU for $98 also.

2/20 purchased
2/27 credited
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:16 pm

Not sure if you found one, but 3/23 SFO-LAX is $99.98. SFO-ONT 4/20 & 4/27 for $99.58. There are also some $98-99 options SFO-BUR To find this, I used the "Low Fare Calculator" that displays a calendar with lowest fares by date.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:51 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Theres also a lot around $49 right now; like inter-island Hawaii, LAS- SoCal airports and intra-Texas
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:31 pm

Two for $99.98 on March 14. Both credited March 19.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 9:26 pm

Mine not crediting. Been almost 3 weeks. Ugh. 99.98 2x
Old Apr 8, 2024, 5:55 pm

Two flights for $99.98 that posted 03/30. Both credited 04/02.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 1:53 pm

two flights, one 93, one 104
both credit 4 days later
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:30 pm

Bought a $79 flight on 04/21 and credit posted on 04/24
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:49 am

Does it have to under 100 after taxes??

Originally Posted by SifuGinSaing
Bought a $79 flight on 04/21 and credit posted on 04/24

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.