Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
To read previous reports, click HERE.
The thread title mentions "WN" because that is Southwest Airline's IATA code. (SW is assigned to another airline.)

You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase: http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or-
"Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait a day or more before making the purchase. Some reports show it works without waiting, but this is not reliable, and there is no way to know if it will work in your case.

Gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed, as of July 2019.
  • What does usually work is to buy flight tickets less than $109, OR to use gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109.
  • If you buy a ticket and use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it may be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your card or that of an additional cardholder.
  • Fees are often reimbursed in a few days, but it may take up to two weeks. Do not contact American Express.
  • DO NOT CONTACT AMEX about reimbursement of cheap flights. Although it works, by rule it is not eligible.
  • Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Just bought 3 tickets totaling $210 on 1 AMEX card for 2024. Have 4 more cards to do this on. Will see it continues.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:14 am

I'm debating on doing SW vs Travelbank this year (since we already have a lot of SW credit, may as well add more as we are a hub), how is 2024 coming along for SW credits? The limit is just under $100 to get reimbursement, correct?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by jazzneel
I'm debating on doing SW vs Travelbank this year (since we already have a lot of SW credit, may as well add more as we are a hub), how is 2024 coming along for SW credits? The limit is just under $100 to get reimbursement, correct?
$103.98 worked for me last November.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
This is calendar year, right? Jan-Dec? Just did mine in Dec and may be canceling card in another month so thinking I should go ahead and do this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
This is calendar year, right? Jan-Dec? Just did mine in Dec and may be canceling card in another month so thinking I should go ahead and do this.
Yes.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by krazieman
Just bought 3 tickets totaling $210 on 1 AMEX card for 2024. Have 4 more cards to do this on. Will see it continues.
Have the credits hit your account yet?

I made purchases on a few Amex (Aspire, Plat x2) on Jan 2... still not seeing anything on my end.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by cliff1127
Have the credits hit your account yet?

I made purchases on a few Amex (Aspire, Plat x2) on Jan 2... still not seeing anything on my end.
Made a purchase on 1/1 and still nothing as of this morning
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:03 am

Lately it's 9 days to see the meter move and 10 to post, so expect to see it 1/9-1/11
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:40 am

Mine haven't posted yet either. Also, for reference, my Hilton resort credits haven't posted either.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:13 pm

Tracker moved for 1/1 purchases

I’m not going to list each, but I had over 16 total purchases all under $100 that posted on 1/1 on various Plat cards. The tracker moved on all of them today.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:08 pm

Well this is weird. I'm logged into Amex and I can't see my flight selection anywhere on the Plat. I see the entertainment credit, walmart +, hotel credit, clear credit and the centurion progress, but nowhere a selection for flights. Glitch?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:28 pm

Mine was the same on the Amex website but when I logged in the Amex app on my phone, it correctly said Southwest.

Also to add a data point. Bought a Southwest flight ticket for $73 on Jan 1, the needle finally moved today. No credit yet. I'm guessing there's always a delay at the start of the year from everyone's credits restarting.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....I can't see my flight selection anywhere on the Plat.....
Rewards & Benefits > (Scroll down) View All Card Benefits > $200 Airline Fee Credit
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:40 pm

Well this is weird. I'm logged into Amex and I can't see my flight selection anywhere on the Plat. I see the entertainment credit, walmart +, hotel credit, clear credit and the centurion progress, but nowhere a selection for flights. Glitch?
Go to benefits, in airline credit section, click "See terms", then the link: https://global.americanexpress.com/c...redit/platinum It will show your "Selected Airline:Southwest Airlines"
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Rewards & Benefits > (Scroll down) View All Card Benefits > $200 Airline Fee Credit
Originally Posted by nickhodge
Go to benefits, in airline credit section, click "See terms", then the link: https://global.americanexpress.com/c...redit/platinum It will show your "Selected Airline:Southwest Airlines"
thanks for the help! The chat person did the airline selection for me and now I can finally see the meter and benefit. Before it was nowhere to be found, even with the links y’all sent. Weird glitch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.