Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you decide if AmEx Plat makes sense?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
And, this is exactly what Amex intend to do: get rid of the cheapskates.
I think if that was their objective they wouldn't offer credits at all.

I think the higher annual fee and many credits actually gives Amex 2 key benefits:
  1. They can show increased transaction volume on the Platinum card, because the higher annual fee motivates people to be more diligent about spending to chase the credits.
  2. Even better, they can show that there is increased transaction volume with their marketing partner businesses.
It's the gift that keeps on giving for their B2B marketing team. "Hey Company X, look at how much transaction volume with Saks/Clear/SiriusXM/NYT/Peacock/etc went up after they partnered with us!"
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:56 pm

$700? That's like 2 dinners. The idea of having a $700 or $1000 AF is somehow "status symbol" of sort is comical. There is zero exclusivity to a charge card that anyone can apply for. Being able to give away your $20,000 table at Rao's is a status symbol. A $1000 AF card? Comedy. You think people think you're big shots with your Platinum? Oh dear....

I'd think Amex and their partners, whom I've been spending money with, like me a lot more than the riffs raffs who been using the card solely as a status symbol. In fact, I think they should raise it to $5,000 and offer even more perks. Pay my utilities bill, my laundry services, my doggy daycare, etc. Yessir.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by commaspace
$700? That's like 2 dinners. The idea of having a $700 or $1000 AF is somehow "status symbol" of sort is comical. There is zero exclusivity to a charge card that anyone can apply for. Being able to give away your $20,000 table at Rao's is a status symbol. A $1000 AF card? Comedy. You think people think you're big shots with your Platinum? Oh dear....

I'd think Amex and their partners, whom I've been spending money with, like me a lot more than the riffs raffs who been using the card solely as a status symbol. In fact, I think they should raise it to $5,000 and offer even more perks. Pay my utilities bill, my laundry services, my doggy daycare, etc. Yessir.
Giving away a table at Rao’s wouldn’t be such a status marker to me because I have no idea what Rao’s is.
Mama, notquiteaff and radiolarian like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Statman (Post # 39)
My wife and I fly J class 2-3 times a year and the savings alone from IAP more than justify the annual + AU fee for me and my family.

All of the so-called "coupon" savings from the card are just icing on the cake for me.
IAP = International Airline Program

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by llary
I think there are two separate groups who can get value out of an Amex Platinum:

1) value hunters who have the time to load all the benefits into a spreadsheet, cross check against what specific savings they can achieve based on products/services they already use and make a cool-headed decision based on pure math
2) high spenders who will barely feel the annual fee and find the intangible benefits extremely valuable (NPSL/high spending power, concierge service (meh), hotel status (EXTREMELY value for me personally), unlimited points/miles at a high earning rate)
I don't think you need a spreadsheet for 1). Many posts on this question take the form of $200+$200+$100, etc. Pretty simple arithmetic to see whether the Plat is worth it for a given person.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by JakiChan
How do you decide if AmEx Plat makes sense?
AmEx Plat makes sense for almost everyone, certainly for anyone who has any interest and use for points and miles … for 12.9 months. The SUB (100K - 150K) can very easily be redeemed and/or leveraged to a value of more than the AF. Many can also easily redeem the Airline Fee credit, often twice in those 12.9 months, sometimes 3 airline fee credits in 12.9 months.

Originally Posted by commaspace
$700? That's like 2 dinners. The idea of having a $700 or $1000 AF is somehow "status symbol" of sort is comical. There is zero exclusivity to a charge card that anyone can apply for. Being able to give away your $20,000 table at Rao's is a status symbol. A $1000 AF card? Comedy. You think people think you're big shots with your Platinum? Oh dear...
To some people $700 is 140 (or more) dinners.

Hard to know what impresses other people. What impresses a farmer in Kansas is different than a Wall Street banker in NY.

I can’t even remember what the most elite status-symbol credit card was when I was in college … a bajillion years ago. But I do remember we joked about a potentially great pick up line. Lick the back of a credit card and stick it on your forehead (try it, it works … for a moment or 2), say “pretend this is a Black Card or AmEx Centurion or JP Morgan Reserve” and then say … anything .

Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Statman
My wife and I fly J class 2-3 times a year and the savings alone from IAP more than justify the annual + AU fee for me and my family.

All of the so-called "coupon" savings from the card are just icing on the cake for me.
No, IAP does not always give you the lowest J fare. IAP search engine is very limited. There are countless times when I found cheaper J fare on Google flight, skyscanner, ITA...etc. In fact, most of the time, these cheaper airfares I see on other search engines don't even show up on IAP (and, these lower fares are of the airlines who participate in IAP). I am not going to waste my time on IAP.

Last edited by Mama; Aug 13, 2022 at 6:09 pm
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
No, IAP does not always give you the lowest J fare. IAP search engine is very limited. There are countless times when I found cheaper J fare on Google flight, skyscanner, ITA...etc. In fact, most of the time, these cheaper airfares I see on other search engines don't even show up on IAP (and, these lower fares are of the airlines who participate in IAP). I am not going to waste my time on IAP.
How do you search for J class on google flight? I don't see any class being displayed. Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seapad
How do you search for J class on google flight? I don't see any class being displayed. Thanks!
did you find cheaper J fare on IAP that's not on other search engine? I would like to know that too.
waste of my time.
thank you.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by seapad
How do you search for J class on google flight? I don't see any class being displayed.
In this context I understand "J" to refer to Business Class, not to a specific fare code.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For me I use it as a SkyClub membership. I fly a good amount of Delta (40-60 segments a year) and would otherwise be paying $545 for a SC Membership. Once I add in the Uber credits I'm at a net positive.

I've gotten good value out of FhR, 5x MR on airline ticket purchases, Amex Offers and the digital credits to make the card make sense for me. Plus it's where I get my Priority Pass membership from.

As annoying as the high AF is, I have no plans to cancel
commaspace likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Amex Plat

Please help me decide to dump the AA Citi exec for an Amex plat. I hold the card now solely for reduced AC membership. All travel benefits were stripped a few years ago.

I have been reading about the plat card and see there is a promotion of 100K points if you spend $6K in 3 months. I currently have a gold card and would like to know if I upgrade to the platinum card is this promotion available?

I like the idea of using membership miles for different airlines. My primary destination is LHR. How hard is it to redeem membership reward points for J class across the pond? What is a typical redemption amount?

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:53 am
mia

Originally Posted by enviroian
....100K points if you spend $6K in 3 months. I currently have a gold card and would like to know if I upgrade to the platinum card is this promotion available?....
1) 100,000 is not the best offer. Look here for 150,000: American Express Referral Offers (Read Wiki before posting).

2) New account bonuses do not apply to upgrades, you must apply using a link for a specific offer.

3) Redeeming Membership Rewards points earned with a Platinum card is no different from redeeming points earned with the Gold card that you already hold. When you transfer the points to an airline frequent flyer program the number of miles required for an award flight is determined by the program, not by American Express.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mia
1) 100,000 is not the best offer. Look here for 150,000: American Express Referral Offers (Read Wiki before posting).

2) New account bonuses do not apply to upgrades, you must apply using a link for a specific offer.

3) Redeeming Membership Rewards points earned with a Platinum card is no different from redeeming points earned with the Gold card that you already hold. When you transfer the points to an airline frequent flyer program the number of miles required for an award flight is determined by the program, not by American Express.
Thanks for the info. although I've had my gold card for 30 years, I haven't used it in 20 so I'm rusty on the membership rewards protocols.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:14 am
mia

Discussion of transferring MR points to airlines is here:

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program?

Read the Wikipost at the top for an overview.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.