Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex stock down over 13% in two days

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Amex stock down over 13% in two days

Amex can only raise membership fees for so long and sell aspirational marketing before people realIze they are not delivering what they they advertise.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Can you think of any other explanation for the stock price decline? For example:

The selloff in the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -1.82% is including all 30 of the index's components in premarket trading Tuesday, amid growing worries about the effect of the omicron variant of COVID.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/al...ing-2021-11-30
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
Can you think of any other explanation for the stock price decline? For example:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/al...ing-2021-11-30

That is crystal clear.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:08 pm

PNL impact of offering "business" cards to churners must be showing up... or covid, probably covid.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:41 pm

I think credit cards including Visa, Mastercard, and Amex will be impacted by BNPL (Buy now pay later). I honestly think this is good because it's quite messed up charging 20%+ for interest. When you can instead finance it for a much lower rate. This is huge and I think it will change the payments space in the future.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
“In the third quarter, AXP reported earnings of $2.27 per share, which surpassed the Zacks Consensus Estimate by 27.5% and surged 75% year over year. Total revenues net of interest expense of $10.9 billion beat the consensus mark by 3.6% and improved 25% year over year.”
https://apple.news/AcGKAsMCXQau3BFsETrNugA

I work at a Fortune 500 company where earlier this year we were down 15% on basically no news. We announced our usual beats on earnings before and after this dip. God help me if I know what was going on.

\_(ツ)_/
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by sleepy3192
I think credit cards including Visa, Mastercard, and Amex will be impacted by BNPL (Buy now pay later). I honestly think this is good because it's quite messed up charging 20%+ for interest. When you can instead finance it for a much lower rate. This is huge and I think it will change the payments space in the future.
BNPL charges merchant fees that would make Amex blush.

That said, Amex is pushing Plan It as an alternative to BNPL.
IndyHoosier and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Centurion
Amex can only raise membership fees for so long and sell aspirational marketing before people realIze they are not delivering what they they advertise.
Airlines stocks are down about the same in the last week, and for similar reasons. Travel isnt everything for Amex, but its a very large part of Amexs profitability.
IndyHoosier, hhdl and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Yes the financial numbers for Amex are up for Q3 and over the previous year. But Amex is advertising benefits that are not delivered. Example: A line of people waiting to get into a already crowded Centurion Lounge.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Omicron’s potential hit on the economy and on travel; interest rates in line to go up; and expectations that consumers will feel a crunch from inflation outpacing wages, inflation on the horizon for health care/insurance, and rising interest rates.

Crowded Centurion lounges mean more or less nothing for AXP share price. If anything, the bad lounge lines and crowding could even be a sign of Amex having succeeded by running up the customer numbers even in the face of declining service levels.

Amex is pushing things like Plan It and even outright loans as an alternative to the likes of Klarna, Affirm, Afterpay.
IndyHoosier, Gasolin, hhdl and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 9:34 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sleepy3192
The whole BNPL gold rush seems like a bubble waiting to pop, there is nothing particularly sophisticated or proprietary about the entire concept (as demonstrated by the number of companies that offer it, including AMEX with Plan It), I can't believe Square paid $29 billion to buy AfterPay, they should have just copied the concept like everyone else and used their own brand recognition to sell it to merchants. It's an installment loan for crying out loud, hardly a ground-breaking advancement in financial products!
hhdl, notquiteaff, ewoo and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yesterday Amex announced its partnership with OpenPay to get deeper into “buy now pay later”, but this Amex partnership for Opy is set to be limited to “qualifying purchases in the healthcare and automotive segments”.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The entire payments sector has been getting shellacked. Probably a little due to Covid but a lot of other dynamics.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 1:37 pm

Tying the stock price to a line to get into a Centurion lounge is almost as peak FT brainworm as tying missing an upgrade to the airline's stock price.

If anything, never having a line to the lounge (or easy upgrades) is probably a bad sign for the stock.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
The whole BNPL gold rush seems like a bubble waiting to pop, there is nothing particularly sophisticated or proprietary about the entire concept (as demonstrated by the number of companies that offer it, including AMEX with Plan It), I can't believe Square paid $29 billion to buy AfterPay, they should have just copied the concept like everyone else and used their own brand recognition to sell it to merchants. It's an installment loan for crying out loud, hardly a ground-breaking advancement in financial products!
Always beware of the fast-growing lender...
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.