Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex stock down over 13% in two days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
The whole BNPL gold rush seems like a bubble waiting to pop, there is nothing particularly sophisticated or proprietary about the entire concept (as demonstrated by the number of companies that offer it, including AMEX with Plan It), I can't believe Square paid $29 billion to buy AfterPay, they should have just copied the concept like everyone else and used their own brand recognition to sell it to merchants. It's an installment loan for crying out loud, hardly a ground-breaking advancement in financial products!
lol bubble ready to pop are stocks that trade on no sales like lucid.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Completely disingenuous to target one stock in a complete market bear run.

However, I don't completely disagree with the opinion that their future business model is not as exciting. From Apple pay, to venmo, to cryptocurrency, there is so much extra noise in the payment industry. AMEX has built up a fantastic reputation of quality and service. It seems like those waters are being muddied with a coupon book focus. Makes me wonder if a new company started with that exact model, what the adoption would look like.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Completely disingenuous to target one stock in a complete market bear run.
I think the OP is mistaken, but earnestly so. I sense nothing disingenuous.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YTD the stock is up 41.5% as of today. Do we really need threads discussing that day's stock price?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 8:06 am

Most of the time, 1 - 3 day stock price volatility isn't very meaningful, unless accompanied by some kind of significant announcement; and, generally, the only one I'd really be concerned about is "accounting irregularities" disclosures potentially resulting in restating of prior earnings.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Doppy
YTD the stock is up 41.5% as of today. Do we really need threads discussing that day's stock price?
You do recognize the irony that you restarted said thread, right?

Regards
krazykanuck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.