Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Marriott Promotion Problems

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2021, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Amex Marriott Promotion Problems

Added an offer to an Amex card, spend $500 with Marriott get $100 back. This offer did not stipulate locations.

With a Marriott resort trip happening a few weeks, we jumped on this and called the resort to make a payment. Resort sent us an email with instructions on how to complete the payment.

Payment posts to Amex card however after a good week or two, no promotion. I am on chat support right now and they are telling me the payment did not qualify - primarily because the merchant used a third party payment processor.

what?! customer has no way of knowing in advance (or even at time of transaction) how a business processes their payment. Even if the customer know all the questions to ask in advance, low chance the person on the other end would actually be able to answer the questions.

The agent is stating all the different rules and stipulations and all the exclusions where where not actually printed in the small print of the promotion itself.

method is crazy.

anyone else run to not similar problems and pushback?
Old Oct 23, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pixelrogue
Added an offer to an Amex card, spend $500 with Marriott get $100 back. This offer did not stipulate locations.

With a Marriott resort trip happening a few weeks, we jumped on this and called the resort to make a payment. Resort sent us an email with instructions on how to complete the payment.

Payment posts to Amex card however after a good week or two, no promotion. I am on chat support right now and they are telling me the payment did not qualify - primarily because the merchant used a third party payment processor.

what?! customer has no way of knowing in advance (or even at time of transaction) how a business processes their payment. Even if the customer know all the questions to ask in advance, low chance the person on the other end would actually be able to answer the questions.

The agent is stating all the different rules and stipulations and all the exclusions where where not actually printed in the small print of the promotion itself.

method is crazy.

what merchant name does show on the actually transaction?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

method is crazy.

Are you sure you didn't just miss the locations when you clicked on "Offer Terms"? Every time I've seen this offer, if you click on that, it says limited to U.S., Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

The third-party processing language is also right there. Unfortunately, this is a risk when you try to pay in advance for a stay in order to take advantage of an offer.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Resort sent us an email with instructions on how to complete the payment.
Shouldn't this have been a massive red flag? In what world does the property not simply charge you right there on the spot over the phone, you pay Marriott through the website, or you pay normally at the counter? This is no different than getting an Amex offer for some store, and you proceed to buy the store's gift cards which may in fact be sold by a 3rd party processor like Cashstar and is not identified as the original merchant at all...
Doppy, Happy and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Are you sure you didn't just miss the locations when you clicked on "Offer Terms"? Every time I've seen this offer, if you click on that, it says limited to U.S., Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
I’m wondering if there’s an issue with the brand of resort, anyway. OP states there was no location specified, and talks about a resort, but not sure if ‘Marriott resort’ refers to an actual Marriott branded resort or a different brand within Marriott. Maybe there are different offers out there, but the one I got for $100 off of $500 was for Marriott luxury brands, and included Ritz, JW, etc, but not Sheraton, Marriott, Westin, etc. the non-luxury brands (again, for me) got the $50 off $200. So wonder if this could be an issue irrespective of third party payment.

i know I prepaid for a Sheraton stay that was booked under the Marriott week of wonder promo - I had to call the hotel to make sure the payment processed prior to the deadline of my original offer, and that credit posted maybe 1 or 2 days after the charge cleared. So clearly pre payment in itself is not an issue.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
what merchant name does show on the actually transaction?
Marriott

Here is what happened w/Amex support.
Immediate response from any agent regarding the promotion was "Upon further checking your purchase did not qualify....because..." and they all quickly pasted terms and the interesting thing of all the different pasted terms different agents pasted, only ONE was actually 'partially' relevant to the offer being discussed. They pasted terms from different offers etc... conversations kept going in circles and the only consistency was that the promotion was not being honored.

• Promotion was only for Hilton.
• Terms require that the purchase is made through the vendor directly. If the vendor uses a third party to process payments (and most do) the promotion will not honored.
Explaining that I made the purchase directly w/Marriott and directly w/the resort, however we can not control, nor would know in advance, how a payment is processed. The resort did use a payment processor from the UK.
• Promotion was for United States and US territories only (this I did see on a similar offer since however was not part of the offer that was utilized.
• Promotion excluded luxury product lines.

Not a consistent response (beyond no) and it was so circular, agents pretending not to understand, providing responses to things that were not in question nor relevant....I just gave up and had the charges reversed. I'll put the charges on a Marriott card instead.
Couldn't get over it really.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msp3
Shouldn't this have been a massive red flag? In what world does the property not simply charge you right there on the spot over the phone, you pay Marriott through the website, or you pay normally at the counter? This is no different than getting an Amex offer for some store, and you proceed to buy the store's gift cards which may in fact be sold by a 3rd party processor like Cashstar and is not identified as the original merchant at all...
Red flag, no - we didn't get gift cards. Marriott agents stated contact the resort directly to make payment (no other option.) Resort was professional, honorable...went through smoothly.
It wasn't until the charge showed on the bill as having been processed through a vendor.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

The third-party processing language is also right there. Unfortunately, this is a risk when you try to pay in advance for a stay in order to take advantage of an offer.
The terms of the another offer (similar, smaller amount received later) clearly stated US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean however not the larger one.
Third-party processing, that is my point. We called Marriott, they tell us contact the resort ... that goes smoothly and then when we see the bill the charge was through a UK company (we'd have not way of knowing in advance or able to control.)
Yes, paying in advance to take advantage of an offer - that seems quiet reasonable and presume many do the same.

We ended up scrapping it all... reversed the charges as result.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:55 pm

The terms of the another offer (similar, smaller amount received later) clearly stated US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean however not the larger one.
Third-party processing, that is my point. We called Marriott, they tell us contact the resort ... that goes smoothly and then when we see the bill the charge was through a UK company (we'd have not way of knowing in advance or able to control.)
Yes, paying in advance to take advantage of an offer - that seems quiet reasonable and presume many do the same.

We ended up scrapping it all... reversed the charges as result.
I don't think many people call the hotel to have them run charges early on non-prepaid rates for stays on dates outside the promotion period. The promotion just isn't configured to work that way. I'm sorry that didn't work out for you.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I don't think many people call the hotel to have them run charges early on non-prepaid rates for stays on dates outside the promotion period. The promotion just isn't configured to work that way. I'm sorry that didn't work out for you.
I don’t know about the dates (too lazy to read this thread again), but I definitely recall people reporting to call a hotel for a future post-stay-paid reservation to have a “deposit” charged to trigger the promo. Not sure that it is many people in the general population, but the OP should still be able to get an accurate explanation from Amex. My own experience with their chat support for a similar issue (Hilton Amex Aspire at a Hilton resort didn’t trigger the resort credit) was similarly frustrating and a giant waste of my time.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don’t know about the dates (too lazy to read this thread again), but I definitely recall people reporting to call a hotel for a future post-stay-paid reservation to have a “deposit” charged to trigger the promo. Not sure that it is many people in the general population, but the OP should still be able to get an accurate explanation from Amex. My own experience with their chat support for a similar issue (Hilton Amex Aspire at a Hilton resort didn’t trigger the resort credit) was similarly frustrating and a giant waste of my time.
I dont dispute that some people do it. That doesnt make it common or the way the promo is intended to operate.
I agree the Amex should have provided a consistent explanation. But it remains unclear what offer the OP actually used. As noted by others, the $500 spend and get $100 back was limited to certain brands and explicitly included all the terms the OP insists weren't there, as shown in the screenshot here: https://gcgalore.com/marriott-luxury...at-front-desk/
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I dont dispute that some people do it. That doesnt make it common or the way the promo is intended to operate.
I agree the Amex should have provided a consistent explanation. But it remains unclear what offer the OP actually used. As noted by others, the $500 spend and get $100 back was limited to certain brands and explicitly included all the terms the OP insists weren't there, as shown in the screenshot here: https://gcgalore.com/marriott-luxury...at-front-desk/
While we applied the purchase in advance, we were only 2 weeks out from the stay and resort seemed quite familiar w/prepays for stays.
Promotion was not limited to geographic region and the list of exclusions did not mention Le Meridien. Still waiting for funds to register back to card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.