Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
That "risk of loss" clause is sneaky. It's like what UPS does: if you enter their website and make ANY changes whatsoever to an incoming delivery--including just doing the digital signing, or telling them where to drop the package--you waive all rights, even if the package has insurance.
cuthroat and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
My wife picked up the 150K SOB today from a new Platinum card. It really works.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Revisiting almost a year later, Between the various credits (airline, Uber, saks, Equinox, entertainment), FHR, 5x on airfare, Amex offers, I’m getting well over $695 in value in this card. This is even before considering lounge access (which I allocate to my Delta reserve). The card is a keeper for me.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Tried to visit the SFO club at noon today. There was a long line just to get on the waitlist. of course I immediately turned around and went back to the UA lounge where there was no line and plenty of food.

honestly the AF hike won’t have any effect on my decision to cancel. There is no reason for me to keep the card when I can never get into the lounge (and have no use for the mediocre Escape lounge at OAK).
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
This was interesting.

I upgraded my gold card to platinum on 2.17 and added three family members as AUs. The AU fee of $175 was charged correctly on 2.23 on the first platinum statement. On the following statement, I got hit with the annual fee, except that it wasn't the $695 I expected, it was the old gold card fee of $250.

I guess I'll wait for the next statement to see if this self corrects.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Tried to visit the SFO club at noon today. There was a long line just to get on the waitlist. of course I immediately turned around and went back to the UA lounge where there was no line and plenty of food.

honestly the AF hike won’t have any effect on my decision to cancel. There is no reason for me to keep the card when I can never get into the lounge (and have no use for the mediocre Escape lounge at OAK).
That's great there is no lines for the UA lounges A friend of mine flies American a lot and says there isn't any wait there either.

I fly Delta exclusively and lately there have been lines at a couple lounges. I wish Delta would start allowing only Delta Am Ex reserve card holders since no other US airline allows credit card entrances by having a credit card except their own branded one or at least give preference to SkyClub members if there is a wait
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
That's great there is no lines for the UA lounges A friend of mine flies American a lot and says there isn't any wait there either.

I fly Delta exclusively and lately there have been lines at a couple lounges. I wish Delta would start allowing only Delta Am Ex reserve card holders since no other US airline allows credit card entrances by having a credit card except their own branded one or at least give preference to SkyClub members if there is a wait
The Skyclubs where I have consistently seen lines in recent years are JFK and some of the ATL clubs. Luckily both have multiple options for Reserve/Platinum cardholders. Where else have you seen lines.

And remember, SkyClubs require guests pay, and they got rid of the one off passes with the Delta Gold card, and there is still some crowding. Makes me pessimistic about Centurion crowding going down. Lounge access is a critical value proposition for Delta/Amex more than it is for AA and UA, it seems to me
Boraxo and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

go to the much better VS lounge instead

Should get better in 2023 once the ridiculous guest policy changes.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The Skyclubs where I have consistently seen lines in recent years are JFK and some of the ATL clubs. Luckily both have multiple options for Reserve/Platinum cardholders. Where else have you seen lines.

And remember, SkyClubs require guests pay, and they got rid of the one off passes with the Delta Gold card, and there is still some crowding. Makes me pessimistic about Centurion crowding going down. Lounge access is a critical value proposition for Delta/Amex more than it is for AA and UA, it seems to me
I've never noticed a line at JFK but I normally use the CL lounge at JFK.

There's been lines a couple times at ORD when there has been bad weather. A couple weeks ago there was a wait to get into the F/G Skyclub at MSP. Luckily a bunch of people left a few minutes after I got in line so the wait wasn't long (I know I have access to the PGA lounge and the Escape lounge but I was connecting to HNL and needed to go to the skyclub for the wrist band since the policy was sitll in place then).

There was a ling at the smaller LAX club last month. FLL is continually having issues with waits to get in, even though they have a new club. There are reports almost every day now with photos of long lines at SkyClub on the delta diamond facebook group.

Crowding at the skyclubs did go down when they stopped allowing American Express members to bring in guests (and then changed the Skyclub membership levels not that long after). Not sure why there is issues with crowding again. Just glad you can't bring in unlimited kids now and have to pay (that was really getting abused and the dragons were as much to blame for not enforcing it when people would bring in four college aged kids).
Adelphos likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Wife and I each renewed our Amex Platinums. The alternative for my wife was to pay $180 to add her to my card, for lounge access in the future. But the new entertainment and FHR credits are valuable for us, as are incidentals and Uber.
$695-$240-$200-$200-$200 = +$145 not even counting Amex Offers or Saks gift cards.

I know everyone's situation is personal, but figured I'd share mine.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Crowding at the skyclubs did go down when they stopped allowing American Express members to bring in guests (and then changed the Skyclub membership levels not that long after). Not sure why there is issues with crowding again. Just glad you can't bring in unlimited kids now and have to pay (that was really getting abused and the dragons were as much to blame for not enforcing it when people would bring in four college aged kids).
Umm, actually DL members can bring "unlimited kids" (most of us refer to them as immediate family) if they have the right membership. I don't buy that DL lounge crowding is caused by a few kids any more than at the Amex Plat lounges. Earlier this month at SFO I saw a few children running around the United Club and AS Boardroom (and even more sitting quietly on their devices) and there were no lines or lack of seats.

Now I don't know why DL and Amex clubs are so crowded as to require lines for waitlists but if I were to guess it is because they issued millions of Plats to everyone and their mother, and you can enter the club no matter which airline you are flying, at zero cost no matter how much you eat and drink. Plus for those who drink the brands are decent, unlike the cheapo wines and well drinks offered in the UC . So demand far outstrips supply.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Wife and I each renewed our Amex Platinums. The alternative for my wife was to pay $180 to add her to my card, for lounge access in the future. But the new entertainment and FHR credits are valuable for us, as are incidentals and Uber.
$695-$240-$200-$200-$200 = +$145 not even counting Amex Offers or Saks gift cards.

I know everyone's situation is personal, but figured I'd share mine.
​​​​​​
Despite all the grief, I wouldn’t be surprised if this refresh actually added a lot of new cardholders. Especially with the recent enhancement to the entertainment credit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Umm, actually DL members can bring "unlimited kids" (most of us refer to them as immediate family) if they have the right membership. I don't buy that DL lounge crowding is caused by a few kids any more than at the Amex Plat lounges. Earlier this month at SFO I saw a few children running around the United Club and AS Boardroom (and even more sitting quietly on their devices) and there were no lines or lack of seats.

Now I don't know why DL and Amex clubs are so crowded as to require lines for waitlists but if I were to guess it is because they issued millions of Plats to everyone and their mother, and you can enter the club no matter which airline you are flying, at zero cost no matter how much you eat and drink. Plus for those who drink the brands are decent, unlike the cheapo wines and well drinks offered in the UC . So demand far outstrips supply.
Unless you have a lifetime Delta skyclub membership, you have to be flying Delta in order to enter the skyclub. They took away that benefit when they added the exec membership but I believe they grandfathered in lifetime Skyclub members. If you want to enter the skyclub using an Am Ex you also have to be flying Delta and I think that's been a requirement all along.

Delta is the only american airline lounge that now allows Am Ex swipes so that probably contributes to the overcrowding big time. Alaska used to allow skyclub members access and priority members access and doesn't anymore and United and American don't allow PP or Am Ex swipes either.
Boraxo and Super Mario like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I don't know why DL and Amex clubs are so crowded as to require lines for waitlists but if I were to guess it is because they issued millions of Plats to everyone and their mother, and you can enter the club no matter which airline you are flying, at zero cost no matter how much you eat and drink. Plus for those who drink the brands are decent, unlike the cheapo wines and well drinks offered in the UC . So demand far outstrips supply.
As a lifetime United Club (ex-CO) and Admirals Club (ex-US) (I guessed wrong on the Clinton USDOJ approval of the UA‐US merger & should have bought lifetime NW WorldClub membership), it is a good thing I enjoy the "house red" and am easy to please gastronomically.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:35 pm

Woah - old thread but it seems there is some news around this credit: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...dit-explained/

Starts in 2023 - wondering if it will work at the stores within Equinox!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.