Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Also, be careful with the Clear benefit. I was overcharged when resuming my membership as I should have gotten a SkyMiles discount. I should have been charged $109 + $50, was instead charged $179 + $50. Clear refunded me $70, and I got $10 of the credit reversed, but still happy with the resolution. Will be happy to have Clear and Pre Check at LAX tomorrow
I signed up as a new member with a family member ($119 + 60) and CLEAR billed correctly (as two transactions) followed by the appropriate credit with Amex. I'll keep an eye on this to see if it renews correctly.
jamflyer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:43 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by emcampbe
This - for sure (not like I have an upcoming ~$1200, 5-day rental in Maui in the fall as a specific example to prove this&#128512.
We have an SUV reserved for Labor Day in Maui.

10 days for $2,700.

Effing insane.

We usually pay less than $1k for 10 days!
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by 355F1
We have an SUV reserved for Labor Day in Maui.

10 days for $2,700.

Effing insane.

We usually pay less than $1k for 10 days!
If you have a corporate rate you could try it.
I'm still able to get < 700 for 10 days. A mini-Van is also about the same price.
From my experience the Amex PLT rates are usually way more expensive than the negotiated rates, making the 4 hours grace period totally useless.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
I had this happen as well. I think the Clear/DL linkage isn't the best or doesn't update frequently enough or something.

But, when I called Clear to resolve it their CS was very good and got everything sorted out quickly. One of the better CS teams out there for sure.
I called CLEAR with a couple of questions (last week - not a member yet), and they told me that if you start the process online, to always call and confirm the ff linkage went through. Agent claimed that it doesn’t always ‘stick’. My understanding this was applicable for both the UA and DL, not just DL.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by tlglenn
I remember those vouchers. I don't recall if they were only $99 when I was in college, but I do remember I had to book flights less than two weeks away. At the time I figured it was a way of filling unsold seats.
Two $99 vouchers -- round-trip anywhere in the lower 48. Awesome deal, and you could get miles using the vouchers. A couple of years later it was the same deal at $109 on Continental. I took full advantage of these, and with great delight.

Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:46 pm

Regarding the $200 FHR credit, does the reservation need to be $200+? If I book a room for $150, will I receive $150 credit? Also, my understanding is that hotel elite benefits can be used with FHR booking, how does the hotel know my elite status without my number? Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Regarding the $200 FHR credit, does the reservation need to be $200+? If I book a room for $150, will I receive $150 credit? Also, my understanding is that hotel elite benefits can be used with FHR booking, how does the hotel know my elite status without my number? Thanks.
No, the terms just say that you can get "up to" $200. Any prepaid amount should qualify one or more stays until you hit the $200 cap.

There was an AmEx offer recently for $150 off $750 or $800 which presumably you could stack this with, but in that case you would need to hit the minimum, of course.

When you make a reservation online there is a place to enter your hotel program membership number. I've found that tends to work well, but you could also email the hotel in advance to confirm they have your number on file if you're worried about being upgraded in advance or whatever. And of course, always confirm at check-in unless it's otherwise clear they have it.
asdfghjk likes this.

Last edited by Doppy; Jul 28, 2021 at 10:36 pm
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by yjc281
If you have a corporate rate you could try it.
I'm still able to get < 700 for 10 days. A mini-Van is also about the same price.
From my experience the Amex PLT rates are usually way more expensive than the negotiated rates, making the 4 hours grace period totally useless.
This is booked directly through Hertz.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mine too. Autoslash was showing me a slightly lower rate for another rental company, I think maybe Dollar? In fact, keep getting emails about it - maybe 1 to 2 x per week. However, because of AAA, where I get a free car seat, the Hertz rate still ends up a better deal.

either of these options beats Avis or National, which both claim no cars available. For November. Before thanksgiving, so not even particularly high season.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Yes. Hertz has a discount code for Amex PLT but also different codes for various corporations. (when you book directly)
The negotiated rate using my company's corporate discount code is much lower than the rate with the Amex PLT discount code.
However Amex PLT code offers additional 4 hours of grace period.
Boraxo and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know how long it typically takes to see Marriott Bonvoy status applied when enrolling through the card.

I enrolled a few days ago - maybe Sunday or Monday night, and still have no update on my account yet. I thought I read that it should take 3 days somewhere - maybe the on-screen confirmation, but I can’t find that info anywhere anymore. It still says ‘enrollment pending’ on the Amex site. If I need to follow up, do I do so with Amex or Bonvoy?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Anyone know how long it typically takes to see Marriott Bonvoy status applied when enrolling through the card.

I enrolled a few days ago - maybe Sunday or Monday night, and still have no update on my account yet. I thought I read that it should take 3 days somewhere - maybe the on-screen confirmation, but I can’t find that info anywhere anymore. It still says ‘enrollment pending’ on the Amex site. If I need to follow up, do I do so with Amex or Bonvoy?
Yes. Call AMEX first to ascertain that the Marriott Bombay number they have for your account is correct; I've seen occasions where Marriott created a new account number for the incoming AMEX account.

If the Marriott Bonvoy account number on file at AMEX is correct, then it's time to call Marriott.

If the Marriott Bonvoy account number on file at AMEX is incorrect, you'll probably need to call Marriott to ask to merge the two accounts.

Last edited by mia; Jul 31, 2021 at 6:46 pm Reason: Undo auto-correction which substituted Bombay for Bonvoy.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 8:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by lsquare
I have almost 400k MR and I also intend to use ANA's program. I don't think their program gets enough attention, but that's ok.
Shhhh let’s keep it that way
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Mama
Even better, you could name her Alexa. She would be very popular, everybody knows some Alexa.
LOL! It's not a bad name actually. I also like the sound of it.

Originally Posted by phant0m
I don't have enough vacation time to have 3 trips in coach a year so I'd rather redeem for Business/First and be comfortable for my 1 big trip a year.
Get a new job?
jamflyer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Beckles
I got the AMEX Platinum Card almost 25 years ago, it was by 'invitation'.
I was an "inaugural member." In fact, it used to say that on my cards. Now, I am seriously considering dropping the card or downgrading to some other AMEX product all because of the serious deterioration in both the "concierge" and "travel service" services. I just wrote a post about this.
frmnj and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.