Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) cards don't cover car rentals in Australia, NZ, Italy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 10:54 am
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS

• They aren’t always available in every country. While the exact list of excluded countries varies from card to card and issuer to issuer, the most common exceptions I’ve seen are Australia, Italy and New Zealand.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cards...ntal-coverage/

But presumably if you rent in a neighboring country like France or Austria and drive into Italy and incur damage, it would be covered?

Has anyone had an issue with getting Amex car insurance coverage in certain countries?
Old May 8, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by exp

But presumably if you rent in a neighboring country like France or Austria and drive into Italy and incur damage, it would be covered?

Has anyone had an issue with getting Amex car insurance coverage in certain countries?
I had the question and I think the CS answer was that even if I rented in France, if an accident occurred in Italy, it would not be covered. But maybe I misunderstood.
Old May 8, 2021, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by exp

Presumably if you rent in France and drive into Italy you will not be covered.
For example, see these threads:
Italy-rental car exclusion
AMEX rental car LDW/CDW country exclusions
Old May 8, 2021, 11:21 am
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Good to know. Huge omission by Amex.
Old May 8, 2021, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by exp
... presumably if you rent in a neighboring country like France or Austria and drive into Italy and incur damage, it would be covered?
You have to be very specific and honest with the rental provider about your intended route. Most cars are now equipped with GPS tracking devices. The moment you stray into an area excluded by your contract, insurance coverage will be cancelled. However, a different contract that accommodates your route may be available at the time of rental at a higher price.
Old May 8, 2021, 11:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
This isn't specific to Amex. Most all CC exclude Australia and NZ (At least the cards that I have). Not sure about Italy.
Old May 8, 2021, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
You have to be very specific and honest with the rental provider about your intended route. Most cars are now equipped with GPS tracking devices. The moment you stray into an area excluded by your contract, insurance coverage will be cancelled. However, a different contract that accommodates your route may be available at the time of rental at a higher price.
I rented in Cologne Germany and they asked me for my itinerary. I rented a BMW and the agent told me that BMW, Mercedes and Audi's are a no go into Hungary and Eastern Europe in general. Since Hungary was going to be only a day trip from Vienna, we scrapped the idea of going to Budapest. It would have been fine if we took a Ford, Renault etc. but not the 3 German luxuary car brands.
Old May 8, 2021, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Good to know. Huge omission by Amex.
Europe is an interesting place when it comes to rental car insurance coverage. They will come after you for chips on the windshield and even scratching the rims. Instead of relying on my chase CC which does have primary coverage, I just bought their full coverage for peace of mind. They have a bunch of coverages which include a deductible, does not cover tires etc.. I just bough the one for full coverage. What would be considered wear and tear in the US is NOT in Europe.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by exp

Be careful. I've had car rental contracts in Europe (Hertz) that have forbidden taking the car into Italy, taking the car out of France, or taking the car into central/eastern Europe (on an rental in Italy). Traditionally, Italy has a high rate of vehicle thefts, as does eastern/central Europe, as well as a high rate of accidents, with rental rates for the country reflecting this.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by seat38a
... I just bought their full coverage for peace of mind.
I'd disagree on that decision. It would bring me no peace of mind to have my insurance company picked by the same entity who is expected to go after me with questionable charges. All CC insurance overseas will be primary, as US Auto insurance does not apply abroad. In my experience all high end credit cards provided excellent service on Auto Insurance overseas whenever I needed to make a claim. They promptly paid what they considered reasonable, and took the rest off my bill (as was the case with one "loss of use claim" in AU).
Xyzzy and mia like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 1:13 am

I'd disagree on that decision. It would bring me no peace of mind to have my insurance company picked by the same entity who is expected to go after me with questionable charges. All CC insurance overseas will be primary, as US Auto insurance does not apply abroad. In my experience all high end credit cards provided excellent service on Auto Insurance overseas whenever I needed to make a claim. They promptly paid what they considered reasonable, and took the rest off my bill (as was the case with one "loss of use claim" in AU).
Why would it bother you when you can total the car and just walk away after returning the keys? I read the contract, liability is already included in the rental. What I'm paying for is for the damage to the car including theft. While returning the car at Malpensa, I ran into the pole at the return parking while the return guy was watching. I told him "Full Coverage" we both laughed and he gave me the receipt and I went on my way.
Old May 9, 2021, 1:46 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Why would it bother you when you can total the car and just walk away after returning the keys? I read the contract, liability is already included in the rental. What I'm paying for is for the damage to the car including theft. While returning the car at Malpensa, I ran into the pole at the return parking while the return guy was watching. I told him "Full Coverage" we both laughed and he gave me the receipt and I went on my way.
I completely agree. If the rental company's full comprehensive insurance is not cost prohibitive (I've had rentals where it was only about $5/day for total no deductible coverage including glass and wheels), it's almost always a wiser choice. No fronting the damage fees, no back and forth asking for logs and other documentation, no loss of use or depreciation fees that may not end up being covered by the card. But most of all, paying that extra $10-30 or so is worth my saved time. Obviously if it costs $30/day etc. the calculation is different.
Old May 9, 2021, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
I completely agree. If the rental company's full comprehensive insurance is not cost prohibitive (I've had rentals where it was only about $5/day for total no deductible coverage including glass and wheels), it's almost always a wiser choice. No fronting the damage fees, no back and forth asking for logs and other documentation, no loss of use or depreciation fees that may not end up being covered by the card. But most of all, paying that extra $10-30 or so is worth my saved time. Obviously if it costs $30/day etc. the calculation is different.
That "loss of use" is the kicker. You have to read your Credit Card coverage carefully for that one. Loss of use can hit you for thousands of dollars/euros if you'r not careful. There are no laws I believe that stops them from parking the car for months waiting for repairs, and then charging you for the loss of use. In the US there are State specific laws like in CA, but most States do not and I do not know how it works in Europe.
Old May 9, 2021, 2:35 am

... While returning the car at Malpensa, I ran into the pole at the return parking while the return guy was watching. I told him "Full Coverage" we both laughed and he gave me the receipt and I went on my way.
And if they didn't pay, and claim instead that you committed intentional vandalism? Would you enjoy dealing with an insurer across the ocean? Besides it's silly to pay for insurance, when one is provided at no extra charge by a top local company subject to US contract law. Of course, to each their own.
Old May 9, 2021, 2:45 am

And if they didn't pay, and claim instead that you committed intentional vandalism? Would you enjoy dealing with an insurer across the ocean? Besides it's silly to pay for insurance, when one is provided at no extra charge by a top local company subject to US contract law. Of course, to each their own.
With your logic, why get Homeowners Insurance? Or any insurance? They can claim you started the fire. Sounds more like YOU don't trust Europeans and their laws than anything else.
BearX220 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.