Points Clawed Back - Can I do anything?

Old Mar 26, 21, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Just logged into my online account and saw an offer to upgrade to the EDP for 25K after a $2K spend. The exact same offer I had accepted back in Sept. LMFAO!

I guess one could keep downgrading and upgrading every year picking up 25K points for a $95 annual fee. I haven't clicked the accept button yet. I'll wait a few months using the regular ED card before accepting again.
Old Mar 26, 21, 3:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Bombay Plat, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Thanks for reporting your experience. Does this (closing an account just after a year to avoid paying another AF) have a negative impact on future applications? I am guessing no unless it's done on a regular basis.

LAX
I've closed several cards after one year has passed with no apparent consequences.
Old Mar 26, 21, 7:01 pm

Yea, the issue is that when you upgrade form the ED to the EDP you have to keep track of when you did the upgrade. So if you upgrade and receive a prorated fee for $47.50, you will be charged $95 6 months later. You then have to keep the card an additional 6 months and downgrade and get your $47.50 refund.

The tricky thing with the upgrade offers is that AMEX prorated the annual fee daily. So when you do an upgrade offer from ED to EDP you almost always will end up paying more than $95 since you likely won’t be able to downgrade exactly 365 days later to be safe.
Old Mar 28, 21, 3:30 pm

This, well explained. Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 21, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
For the record, I didn't close the card, simply downgraded it to what I had before.
It is the same - in fact downgrade is also specified in the fine print on bonus claw back. This is the lesson to learn on the consequence of not reading the fine print.
SPN Lifer, mhdena and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 12:51 am

Honestly, I now wonder if this has in some way blacklisted me (or at the very least put me on some kind of naughty list) with Amex. If I were you, I'd probably look to keep the card for an additional year and try and get a retention bonus to offset the second year's annual fee. 2 years seems to be the new safe spot now. I upgraded from the ED to the EDP by simply clicking the upgrade offer that showed up under My Offers and didn't bother to read the T&Cs. Lost 25K MR.

Does anyone have any data points on whether future applications for new cards are approved/rejected based on a past clawback of points?
yes.

Just logged into my online account and saw an offer to upgrade to the EDP for 25K after a $2K spend. The exact same offer I had accepted back in Sept. LMFAO!

I guess one could keep downgrading and upgrading every year picking up 25K points for a $95 annual fee. I haven't clicked the accept button yet. I'll wait a few months using the regular ED card before accepting again.
amex is not stupid. plenty of people play the up/down game. just like the pay over time, self referral, multiple AU bonuses, NLL, high volume MS and airline credit games. many get attacked by the RAT. either shutdown, FR, MR frozen, lifetime popup ban etc.

if you value amex, just dont do it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: