Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Points Clawed Back - Upgraded for bonus, downgraded in less than 12 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Clawed Back - Upgraded for bonus, downgraded in less than 12 months.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Just logged into my online account and saw an offer to upgrade to the EDP for 25K after a $2K spend. The exact same offer I had accepted back in Sept. LMFAO!

I guess one could keep downgrading and upgrading every year picking up 25K points for a $95 annual fee. I haven't clicked the accept button yet. I'll wait a few months using the regular ED card before accepting again.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LAX
Thanks for reporting your experience. Does this (closing an account just after a year to avoid paying another AF) have a negative impact on future applications? I am guessing no unless it's done on a regular basis.

LAX
I've closed several cards after one year has passed with no apparent consequences.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Yea, the issue is that when you upgrade form the ED to the EDP you have to keep track of when you did the upgrade. So if you upgrade and receive a prorated fee for $47.50, you will be charged $95 6 months later. You then have to keep the card an additional 6 months and downgrade and get your $47.50 refund.

The tricky thing with the upgrade offers is that AMEX prorated the annual fee daily. So when you do an upgrade offer from ED to EDP you almost always will end up paying more than $95 since you likely won’t be able to downgrade exactly 365 days later to be safe.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:30 pm

This, well explained. Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
For the record, I didn't close the card, simply downgraded it to what I had before.
It is the same - in fact downgrade is also specified in the fine print on bonus claw back. This is the lesson to learn on the consequence of not reading the fine print.
SPN Lifer, Statman, mhdena and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:51 am

Honestly, I now wonder if this has in some way blacklisted me (or at the very least put me on some kind of naughty list) with Amex. If I were you, I'd probably look to keep the card for an additional year and try and get a retention bonus to offset the second year's annual fee. 2 years seems to be the new safe spot now. I upgraded from the ED to the EDP by simply clicking the upgrade offer that showed up under My Offers and didn't bother to read the T&Cs. Lost 25K MR.

Does anyone have any data points on whether future applications for new cards are approved/rejected based on a past clawback of points?
yes.

Just logged into my online account and saw an offer to upgrade to the EDP for 25K after a $2K spend. The exact same offer I had accepted back in Sept. LMFAO!

I guess one could keep downgrading and upgrading every year picking up 25K points for a $95 annual fee. I haven't clicked the accept button yet. I'll wait a few months using the regular ED card before accepting again.
amex is not stupid. plenty of people play the up/down game. just like the pay over time, self referral, multiple AU bonuses, NLL, high volume MS and airline credit games. many get attacked by the RAT. either shutdown, FR, MR frozen, lifetime popup ban etc.

if you value amex, just dont do it.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
yes.

amex is not stupid. plenty of people play the up/down game. just like the pay over time, self referral, multiple AU bonuses, NLL, high volume MS and airline credit games. many get attacked by the RAT. either shutdown, FR, MR frozen, lifetime popup ban etc.

if you value amex, just dont do it.
Today, my daughter had a -25,000 Membership debit applied to her Everyday Card account (she recently downgraded from an Everyday Preferred Card to an Everyday Card to avoid the $95 annual fee). So she now has a -25,000 balance.

1) What will happen if she closes out her Everyday Card account and thus closes her Membership Rewards account?

2) What will American Express do with the negative Membership Reward balance?

3) What is her best strategy at this point? Keep the card open with the -25,000 MR balance or close the card?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by BONDMI6
Today, my daughter had a -25,000 Membership debit applied to her Everyday Card account (she recently downgraded from an Everyday Preferred Card to an Everyday Card to avoid the $95 annual fee). So she now has a -25,000 balance.

1) What will happen if she closes out her Everyday Card account and thus closes her Membership Rewards account?

3) What is her best strategy at this point? Keep the card open with the -25,000 MR balance or close the card?
first of all, this is nothing. this is the MOST BASIC type of clawback. typical CC closure before terms are met. nothing to worry about. just dont keep doing it.

1) you can but why? you close the MR account. you delete the -25k. many do this to game the system.
2) nothing except amex may remember that you are a piece of poo. and you may have issues later like popup etc.
3) keep card open. make up what you owe via spending and other bonuses. go apply for another amex CC and get the bonus to clear this debt. why? stay good with amex. but many dont care. OK, then burn the bridge. close the account and forget it. amex may ban you forever w/ no bonus on future CCs.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
first of all, this is nothing. this is the MOST BASIC type of clawback. typical CC closure before terms are met. nothing to worry about. just dont keep doing it.

1) you can but why? you close the MR account. you delete the -25k. many do this to game the system.
2) nothing except amex may remember that you are a piece of poo. and you may have issues later like popup etc.
3) keep card open. make up what you owe via spending and other bonuses. go apply for another amex CC and get the bonus to clear this debt. why? stay good with amex. but many dont care. OK, then burn the bridge. close the account and forget it. amex may ban you forever w/ no bonus on future CCs.
You make some good points. They did not shut down all of her Amex accounts and block her from applying for new Amex cards--instead they gave her a slap on the wrist and said do not close your card before the 365 days as written in the T&Cs. I will tell her to make up for the lost ground through spending and applying for new Amex accounts.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:26 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond

I am curious what triggered the claw back. Did she apply for the Preferred to get the welcome bonus (assuming 25K MR), then downgraded it to the regular card before the first AF even posted?

LAX
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
I am curious what triggered the claw back. Did she apply for the Preferred to get the welcome bonus (assuming 25K MR), then downgraded it to the regular card before the first AF even posted?

LAX
The $95 annual fee did post a couple weeks ago (in Sept 2021). She originally had a Everyday Card (opened Oct 2020) and upgraded to a Everyday Preferred Card (MAR 2021) for a 25k MR bonus. She made a mistake and downgraded back to the Everyday Card (Oct 2021) before the 365 day mark on the Everyday Preferred Card. For some reason, Amex does not prorate the annual fee, like it does on their other cards.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:54 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
The $95 annual fee did post a couple weeks ago (in Sept 2021). She originally had a Everyday Card (opened Oct 2020) and upgraded to a Everyday Preferred Card (MAR 2021) for a 25k MR bonus. She made a mistake and downgraded back to the Everyday Card (Oct 2021) before the 365 day mark on the Everyday Preferred Card. For some reason, Amex does not prorate the annual fee, like it does on their other cards.
Thanks for the details.

LAX
Old Oct 8, 2021, 4:22 am

You make some good points. They did not shut down all of her Amex accounts and block her from applying for new Amex cards--instead they gave her a slap on the wrist and said do not close your card before the 365 days as written in the T&Cs. I will tell her to make up for the lost ground through spending and applying for new Amex accounts.
yes. this is the way. amex has many good cards and useful MR transfer partners. the amex plat coupon book is also useful when maxed out. you dont want to burn that bridge. you dont want forever popup (soft ban) or perm ban. there are also plenty of DPs were you get no popup. get the the CC. meet spend. but no bonus. then get told you "abused" their system. you dont want that. amex has an "undefined 3 strikes policy" which is totally YMMV and very secret. only a few have heard about this, but you dont want to push them. they actually tolerate a lot. this clawback is very minor.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
To avoid clawback, can we downgrade exactly 1 year from the upgrade or do we have to wait upgrade date a + 45 days (day when pro-rated AF was charged for upgrade)?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Acid
To avoid clawback, can we downgrade exactly 1 year from the upgrade or do we have to wait upgrade date a + 45 days (day when pro-rated AF was charged for upgrade)?
Terms state 12 months.
1 year+ 1 day has always been my rule of thumb. Never had a clawback.
SPN Lifer, Acid and imnotalawyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.